The two bills have been set up the National Forensic Sciences University bill and the Rashtriya Raksha University Bill were passed in Rajya Sabha by voice vote. Both of the bills have already been passed by Lok Sabha. The Bill is to establish the “Gujarat Forensic Sciences University”, at Gandhinagar and the “Lok Nayak Jayaprakash Narayan National Institute of Criminology & Forensic Sciences” at New Delhi as the National Forensic Sciences University, Gujarat. This Bill declares the University as an institution of a national importance.
Main highlights of both the Bills
National Forensic Sciences Bill 2020
The National Forensic Sciences University Bill seeks establishing the National Forensic Sciences University by an upgradation in the Gujarat Forensic Sciences University. The proposed university will facilitate and also promote studies, researches, and help to achieve excellence in a field of forensic science in conjunction with an applied behavioural science studies, criminology, law, and other allied areas.
Minister of State G. Kishan Reddy, have moved both the bills in the Rajya Sabha, stating a proper forensic investigation plays a very important role in the investigation of police. Almost 1.5 lakh cases were pending in a nation because to lack of forensic professionals. Mr. Reddy has also pointed out that there were over 1.14 lakh posts for forensic experts and the coming up of a university will help in filling those posts.
- The Bill will establish the Forensic Sciences at (New Delhi) and Gujarat Forensic Sciences University at (Gandhinagar) and the Lok Nayak Jayaprakash Narayan National Institute of Criminology as the National Forensic Sciences University in Gujarat.
- This university has to work for the capacity building in the field of forensic science and promote research in the same field.
Read our article:An Outlook on the Code on Social Security, 2020: Latest
Rashtriya Raksha University Bill 2020
On the other side, the Rashtriya Raksha University Bill seeks establishing the Rashtriya Raksha University in the state of Gujarat. The Rashtriya Raksha University is proposed to be the multi-disciplinary university to create new knowledge through research and collaboration with different stakeholders. It will further help to fulfil the need of a trained professionals with the specialized knowledge & new skill sets in various wings of policing, criminal justice system and in correctional administration.
Hence, the key objectives is to provide dynamic-high standards of learning & research and also providing a working environment dedicated to advancing research, education and training in the domain of policing. The university must have linkage with world-class universities in other countries for an exchange of contemporary research, course design, academic collaboration, technical know-how, training and skill development.
- The Bill establishes the Raksha Shakti University, Gujarat established under the Raksha Shakti University Act, 2009.
- The Bill has repealed the 2009 Act.
- The Bill also provides for several authorities under the University.
- It includes: (1) The Governing Body to frame the broad policies and programmes of the University; (2) The Executive Council will be the principal executive body (3) The Academic Council will specify the academic policies of the University.
- The functions of University included: (1) Providing instructions and research in police sciences, including coastal policing and cyber security (2) establishing and maintaining colleges (3) Prescribing courses, holding exams, and granting degrees and other distinctions.
It can be concluded that this bill enacted to establish and declare an institution to be known as the National Forensic Sciences University. It shall be an institution of national importance to facilitate and promote studies to achieve excellence in a field of forensic science in conjunction with applied behavioural science studies, criminology, law and other allied areas and technology & other related fields, and also provided for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
Read our article:Salaries and Allowances of Ministers (Amendment) Bill, 2020: Reduction of Salary Upto 30%