Overview of RNI Registration
To set-up a newspaper, journal or printed publication, the owners are required to obtain an RNI registration from the Registrar of the Newspapers. Ministry of Information and Broadcasting controls and frames rules for the RNI under the Press and Registration of Books Act, 1867. Before starting a business of Paper, Publication, Journals, etc., the approval of RNI is required. The essential of RNI Registration are given below: -
Publishers who require RNI Registration
Any Indian or Foreign entity entering into a Publishing sector in India would require RNI Registration. Also, any form of editorials and magazine publication would require RNI Registration.
Below mentioned Publishers require RNI Registration: -
- Indian Newspaper
Any company or entity entering into business of newspaper in India would require to have RNI Registration. The Regional Newspapers would also require a RNI Registration.
Any form of editorial even in the newspaper editorial would require to have a RNI Registration.
- Foreign Newspaper
Any foreign newspaper company or entity who seeks to publish their newspaper in India would have to take RNI Registration to start their publications.
Any form of magazine, in any language would require to have the RNI Registration.
Responsibilities Performed by RNI
Various responsibilities and functions are performed by the RNI. Below-mentioned is the list of the responsibilities carried out by RNI: -
Basic Requisites for RNI Registration
There are few things to be considered to adjudicate the basic requirements for RNI Registration, which are as follows: -
Benefits Associated with RNI Registration for Journal Publication
There are important benefits associated with the RNI Registration for Journal Publication, which are as follows: -
- Proper Compliance
Any registered company or entity in the business of publication of newspaper, magazine, etc. have to comply with the Press and Registration of Books Act and the rules made thereunder.
- Protection to the title
Ny RNI Registration the publishing company or any publisher will get the protection of title because protection of title is very important in the publishing sector.
- Protection against third-party claim
Apart from protection to the ownership and title, the register published would also enjoy the protection against any false third-party claims. Any form of copyright issues is also protected under this form of registration.
RNI Registration secures some form of recognition of the registered company or entity in business of newspaper and publication in India.
Documents required for RNI Registration
The documents required for RNI Registration are given below: -
Documents Related to Company or Proprietorship
Procedure for RNI Registration
The RNI registration process has been divided into two parts-
- Verification of Title
Before applying for RNI registration, the title of the Newspaper needs to be verified by the RNI. It is the very initial as well as the vital step for RNI Registration. The verification is done to assure the accessibility of the title and to stay resolved in the future. Once the verification is done, the potential individual or company can start the registration process which is as follows-
An application shall be submitted along with the requisite application-
A maximum of 5 options can be given for the title along with the significance of the title name.
The Words Which Cannot Be Used in The Title to Be Verified Are
The particulars submitted to the concerned District Magistrate must be accurate. The District Magistrate verify these qualifications and forwards the application to the RNI. Accordingly, to alert the District Magistrate and author regarding the title accessibility, a letter of title authentication is issued by the RNI.
Before, releasing the newspaper, a declaration is required to be submitted by the publisher with the District Magistrate. RTI Confirmation can also be received online. Apply with the authentic information to the District Magistrate. Application and submission can be made both online and offline
- Registration with RNI Authorities
There are three steps for registration with RNI Authorities (registration of title):
- Validation of Declaration
After receiving the title confirmation letter from the RNI, it must be present to the respective authority in addition to the appropriate Declaration (Form-I) for verification.
Separate declarations from both publishers as well as a printer are needed if the publisher, as well as printer, is different people. Once the declaration has been authenticated the first issue of the newspaper should be brought.
The Press and Registration of Books Act 1867 states that-
- The first issue needs to be added within 42 days of validation of affirmation if the periodicity of publication is on every day or regular basis.
- If the periodicity is fortnightly or above, the first issue needs to be highlighted within 90 days of verification of affirmation. The publication must be printed in the press mentioned in the declaration.
- In the situation of multiple language publications, the particulars, and articles, etc. need to be initiated in the languages stated.
- Certificate of Registration By RNI
If all the requisite steps duly comply and documents are satisfactory then the authority will issue a RNI Certificate along with the registration.
CorpBiz Assistance in obtaining RNI Registration
Frequently Asked Questions
- Register your publication for e-filing of Annual Statement at rniefiling.gov.in. Using the 'New Registration' option above-
- Take a print-out of the template for the C.A. certificate form by Clicking here. However,C.A certificate is not required to take out the print of Publisher's Declaration by Clicking here.
- Fill the downloaded FORM duly signed by thePublisher and C.A.
- Login into the e-filing application.
- Upload the Publisher Declaration form.
- Fill form “Form II” and “Annexure” (in case of daily publications) by using the Registration Number of the Publication and Password.
- Take the print-out of the e-filed Annual Statement and keep it as a receipt for any future reference.
- Verification of title
- Authentication of declaration.
- Publication of Volume.
- Submission of Documents to RNI for Registration.
- Proper Compliances.
- Protection against 3rd Party claim.
- Protection to the title.
- Authentication and Recognition.
- Abbreviation of words
- Religious overtones
- Obscene language
- Head of government functionaries