An Overview of Form MGT-7
Every single firm is obligated to provide the Registrar of Companies with an annual return. Companies are required to make an annual return using form FORM MGT-7. The Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA) requires all companies to provide information for their annual return by utilizing the digitized form FORM MGT-7. This requirement applies to all companies.
The MCA creates separate yearly return forms for One-Person Companies (OPCs) and Small Businesses to use in filing their taxes. All companies are required to submit their annual reports using form FORM MGT-7 in line with Section 11(1) of the Companies (Management and Administration) Regulations, 2014; on the other hand, OPCs and small enterprises are required to submit their reports using form FORM MGT-7A.
Beginning with the financial year 2020-21, OPCs and small enterprises will be required to use the FORM MGT-7A form for yearly reporting purposes. Under the Corporations (Management and Administration) Amendment Regulations, 2021, the Ministry of Corporate Affairs was given the responsibility of developing this form.
Is it necessary for your Company to submit the Form MGT-7A Form electronically?
On the other hand, the following are not considered to be small businesses:
What does it mean to submit the FORM MGT-7A Electronic Form?
Necessary Documents to Submit an Online FORM MGT-7A Filing
To complete your submission, please use the area provided to upload digital copies of the following files to the e-form FORM MGT-7A:
Book a Free Consultation
Get response within 24 hours
Submission Deadline for the Electronic Form MGT-7A
While submitting FORM MGT-7, OPCs and small firms are also obliged to submit e-form FORM MGT-7A as part of their submission. Regardless of whether or not the annual general meeting (AGM) was held, the annual return (FORM MGT-7 or FORM MGT-7A) is required to be presented within sixty days after the date of the AGM. This is required under the Act, specifically section 92(4).
The following is a transcription of the act's section 92(4) in its original language:
- Within sixty days after the conclusion of the company's annual general meeting, the FORM MGT-7A must be submitted electronically before the deadline.
- At the close of each financial year, the annual meeting must take place no later than September 30 of the following year.
- The 29th of November is traditionally the cutoff date for submitting the FORM MGT-7A online.
Section 92 of the Companies Act
Businesses are required to submit annual returns (FORM MGT-7) in accordance with the terms of Section 92(1) of the Companies Act. A copy of Section 92 has been provided for your convenience and may be found attached here.
- According to subsection 92(1) of the Income Tax Act, every company is required to file a return (from this point forward referred to as the annual return) with the following information before the end of each financial year.
- The names and locations of the company's headquarters, business activities, holding companies, subsidiary firms, and associated companies
- A breakdown of the company's shares, bonds, and other financial instruments, together with ownership information for each;
- Its current debt load;
- The composition of its members and the status of its debenture holders, including any changes that have taken place since the end of the preceding fiscal year;
- Its founders, board of directors, and senior management, including any changes that have occurred since the end of the fiscal year before the one being discussed;
- Records of attendance kept by the Board and each of its several committees, as well as meeting minutes;
- Compensation for board members and executives;
- Any fines or sanctions that were handed down to the corporation, its directors, or its officials, together with any information on the compounding of offences or appeals that were filed in response to such fines or sanctions;
- Issues with regard to certification and disclosure in connection with regulatory compliance;
- Information about the percentage of shares owned, in addition to the names, addresses, countries of incorporation, and registration information of any FPIs that hold shares; and
- It is impossible for a document to be legal if it is not signed by at least one director as well as the company secretary (or, in the absence of a company secretary, by a company secretary in practice)
- In the case of a One Person Company or a small firm, the annual return must be signed by the company secretary or, if there isn't one, by a director. In the event that there is no company secretary, the annual return must be signed by a director.
When is it necessary for me to turn in the FORM MGT-7A?
The FORM MGT-7A must be submitted electronically within sixty days of the date of the annual general meeting in order to satisfy the deadline (AGM). Which is as follows:
It is really necessary to compile by the deadlines and the correct procedure to fill in the details on the form. As the form should be correct and true to the best of the knowledge and ability of the firms. Wrong filling of the details can attract consequences such as penalties as well. It is required and holds utmost importance that MGT7 should be filled. It is also of importance due to the fact that transparency is maintained and that the firms are abiding by the laws and do not indulge themselves in any kind of malpractice.