An Overview of Plastic Waste Processors Authorisation
Over the years, in India, plastic waste has become a progressively pressing problem. With the growing dependence on plastic, the tendency to dispose of plastic informally has also become a vital part of the mainstream. Several waste to wealth processes has been adopted to reuse & recycle plastic in innovative ways. One such popular tends has been the conversion of plastic waste to fuel and making it beneficial for both industrial & domestic purposes. Countries like US and Germany have already introduced the plastic to fuel conversion process with much success. So to solve this problem, the Ministry of Environment, Forest, and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has announced the notification or notice of the new Plastic Waste Management (Amendment) Rules), 2022 and the Union Environment Minister Mr. Bhupender Yadav said that the guidelines provide a new framework to strengthen the circular or notification economy of plastic packaging waste and promote alternatives to plastic.
These amendment rules aim to state the roles & responsibilities of the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), Pollution Control Committees, Recyclers, Plastic Waste Processors Authorisation Producers, Importers, and Brand Owners for effective implementation of EPR (Extended Producer Responsibility).
What Do You Mean by Plastic Waste Processors?
Plastic Waster Processors means recyclers & entities involved in using plastic waste for energy (waste to energy) and converting it to oil (waste to oil), industrial composting.
Plastic Waste Processors melt and compress the plastic waste into sanitary disks appropriate for long-term storage. Plastic Waste Processors are used for clean plastic waste, food-containing waste, and other ship waste that cannot be processed in the usual solid waste stream.
Role of the Pollution Board
- The Board registers all Importers, Brand Owners, and Producers, and now Plastic Waste Processors as per the rules;
- The Board examines the compliance of producers, importers, and brand owners through examination and periodic audit. It can also verify compliance of Plastic Waste Processors via inspection and periodic audit;
- It publishes the list of Brand Owners, Importers, and Producers who have failed to meet EPR targets & obligations in the previous financial year, on a yearly basis, by 30th September of the next financial year;
- It conducts a compositional analysis of collected mixed municipal waste to find out the share of plastic and different categories of plastic packaging material on a half-yearly basis.
- It may charge some fee for processing registration applications and an annual fee for processing returns;
Benefits of Plastic Waste Processors Authorisation
Following are some benefits of getting Plastic Waste Processors Authorisation
- Low cost;
- The plants that convert plastic waste to fuel are producing fuels from combustible materials like plastics, wood waste, textiles, and non-recyclable papers that are all either difficult to recycle or non-recyclable;
- Can be burned with a minor carbon footprint than fossil fuels;
- There is the capability to enlarge the materials used to metal waste & others that may not be recyclable easily;
- Fuels that are produced can be modified to a certain requirement like transportation or other uses where heat is required. This makes them appropriate alternatives to fossil fuels.
Important Points to Remember Before Registering Plastic Waste Processors
Following are some important points to remember before registering Plastic Waste Processors:
- The Plastic Waste Processors must submit annual returns after the end of every F.Y (Financial Year);
- If, at any phase, it's found that the details given by the Plastic Waste Processor are false, the processor shall be expelled by the Board as per process laid down, from running under the EPR (Extended Producer Responsibility) framework for a period of one year;
- All Plastic Waste Processors must be registered with the Board or Committee as per provision 13(3) of Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016. The Board shall lay down the procedure for registration within three months of the publication of the guidelines;
- The overall quantity of plastic waste processed by Plastic Waste Processors and attributed to Brand Owners, Producers, and Importers, on a yearly basis, will be made available by the Board;
- The pro forma for the certificate is developed by the Board. In no case, the amount of plastic packaging waste recycled by the enterprise shall be more than the installed capacity of the enterprise. The certificates are for plastic waste category wise and shall comprise enterprise’s GST information;
- Only PWPs registered under the Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016, as changed, shall provide certificates for waste processing, except in case of plastic waste use in road construction. For instance, where plastic waste is used in road construction, the Importers, Brand Owners, and Producers shall give a self-declaration certificate in the format laid down by the Board. The certificate given by only registered Plastic Waste Processors shall be deemed for the fulfilment of EPR obligations by Imported, Brand Owners, and Producers;
- The PWPs undertaking end-of-life disposal of plastic packaging waste viz., waste to oil, waste to energy, cement kilns (co-processing) shall provide details on a yearly basis as per prescribed pro forma, on the portal developed by the Board. These entities shall ensure the disposal of plastic packaging waste as per pertinent rules guidelines framed by regulatory authorities in an environmentally sound manner;
- The plastic packaging waste certificate provided by registered PWPs shall be in the name of registered entities, as applicable, based upon agreed modalities. The Board will develop a mechanism for issuance of such certificate on the official portal.
Centralised Portal for Registration
- The Board shall set up an online system for the registration and for filing of annual returns Plastic Waste Processors of plastic packaging waste by 31st March 2022;
- The Pollution Control Committee or Board shall also use the centralised portal for registration of Plastic Waste Processors. The portal would act as the single point data repository concerning others & guidelines to implement EPR for plastic packaging under PWM Rules, 2016, Procedure, Brand Owners, and Importers may, if they so desire, facilitate the improvement of the online portal;
- The system for the registration and for filing of returns by given entities shall show the plastic packaging material introduced in the market Importer, Brand Owners, and Producers in financial years. It shall also show the information regarding the audit of the Importer, Brand Owners, and Producers and recyclers or other waste processors of plastic packaging waste;
- Till the online website is developed, all activities regarding the implementation of EPR under the Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016 will be done in an offline manner.
Information Required During Plastic Waste Processors Registration
While Registration of Plastic Waste Processors, requires the following information:
- PAN Number;
- CIN Number of the company;
- Aadhar Number of the authorised person or representative;
- PAN Number of the authorised person or representative;
- GST Number;
- Any other vital information as required.
Registration of Plastic Waste Processors
Registration of Plastic Waste Processor involved in recycling, waste to energy, waste to oil, and industrial composting shall be done by the Pollution Control Committee or State Pollution Control Board through the centralised portal of Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) developed by CPCB (Central Pollution Control Board). After the guidelines have come into effect concerning entities (like Importer, Brand Owners, Producers, and Plastic Waste Processors) commencing their business in a specific year and placing their products in the market in that year, they shall have EPR target obligations from the next year.
Following are some other important points to know:
- No Plastic Waste Processor shall not operate any business without registration;
- No Plastic Waste Processor shall deal with any entity not registered with the Board;
- If it's found or determined that any entity registered has provided wrong information or has wilfully concealed information or there is any deviation from the conditions specified while getting registration under EPR guidelines, then the registration of such an entity would be cancelled for one year after giving a chance to be heard. The entities whose registration has been cancelled shall not be to register afresh for the cancellation period;
- If any entity comes in more than one sub-category, then the entity shall register under each of such sub-categories separately. But, only one registration under a sub-category in a state would be required, even if, more than one unit is located in a particular state. The registration shall be as per SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) laid down by the Board for the purpose as per these guidelines.
Book a Free Consultation
Get response within 24 hours
How Corpbiz will help you?
- Help you in the overall process
- Help you in preparing documentation
- Regular follow-ups
- Provide end-to-end support