Food Safety & Standards Authority of India
FSSAI used as a synonym for Food Safety, and Standard Authority of India is a supreme body authorized and responsible for regulating and supervising the food safety and food hygiene. This authority issues the FSSAI license to all the food operators doing business in India. FSSAI has issued the standards that have to be met by food operators along with the regulation of manufacturing, storage, sale, import, and distribution process to ensure the food consumed by millions of population is safe, hygiene and wholesome in quality.
The authority has also created the chain of an information network for the awareness of the public and consumers to get accurate and reliable information relating to food safety, hygiene, and related concern. Different types of FSSAI license issued are:
- State License
- Central License
- Basic Registration
A different license is issued based on the scale of operation on which they operate. We will discuss in detail about the state license in brief henceforth.
What is FSSAI State License?
Small and medium-sized manufacturer, retailer, distributor, marketers, etc. dealing in food relating business has to obtain the State FSSAI License compulsorily. In laymen terms, this license is obtained by tiny food business operators. This license is issued by a particular state government in which the business operates.
The food business operator shall have a business in only one state to obtain this license. This license applies to all the units having an annual turnover of INR 12 Lakhs to INR 20 Lakhs that trade within India. This license is valid for five years' tenure with a minimum validity of 1 year.
Eligibility for State FSSAI License
Following are the eligible entities having above stated turnover for applying for state license:
- Dairy unit processing more than 50000 litres of milk daily or more than 2500 MT of milk solid annually
- Units engaged in the activity to process or produce vegetable oil of capacity exceeding a minimum of 2 MT daily
- Slaughtering units
- Food business engaged in the activity of Meat processing capacity exceeding 500 Kg daily or 150 MT annually
- The food processing unit engaged in wholesale having a turnover exceeding INR 30 Crore.
- Food business dealing in retail or distribution having a turnover exceeding INR 20 Crore
- Units engaged in processing plants including re-labellers, re-packers and producing unit up to minimum 2 MT per day.
Documents Required For FSSAI State License
Following documents are required for applying for State Registration:
- Blueprint or Map Layout of the location of the area where the business is situated
- Name and contact details of directors
- List of the equipment & machinery installed and operating in the unit.
- Id proof & address proof of proprietor issued by government
- Passport size photograph
- Complete details of the food to be manufactured
- Letter of authorization including the name & address of the responsible person
- Address proof of premise such as electricity bill or registry in case of owned premise
- In case the premise is rented or hired, rent agreement and NOC from the landlord
- License copy & No objection certificate from the manufacturer
- Certificate or plan relating to the food safety management system in place
Government Fee for State FSSAI License
Government fee varies as per the production capacity of the manufacturer:
- Fees of INR 5000 is applicable for:
- Producing 1 Metric Ton or more
- Range of 10000 to 50000 for milk units.
- Milk unit range from 500 metric ton to 2500 metric ton in a year
- Fees of INR 3000 is applicable for:
- Producing less than 1 Metric Ton
- Producing milk ranging from 500 to 10000
- Producing milk of range in between of 2.5 metric ton to 500 metric ton in a year
- For a hotel of 4 stars and below: fees applicable is INR 5000
- A common fee of INR 2000 applies to every foodservice provider such as hotels, restaurants, canteens, clubs, etc. engaged in the food business.
Importance of State FSSAI License
FSSAI License is needed due to the following reasons:
- In case the food operators eligible to obtain an FSSAI license fails to do so shall be penalized for the legal offence.
- FSSAI license is onetime expense valid for one to five years depending upon the requirement of business
- State license has to be obtained by every individual of food operators who are related or engaged in the activities of manufacturing, retailing, transportation, or in any way dealing with food products.
- Issue of license or registration certificate is governed and regulated by the provisions of Food Safety and Standards Regulations 2011
- FSSAI license or registration requirement varies as per the type and nature of the food business.
Benefits of FSSAI License
Food operates several advantages of obtaining food license:
- Creating awareness and brand recognition amongst consumers and the public at large
- FSSAI Logo attracts the customer building a strong image of an entity
- Food operators are having FSSAI License enjoy a competitive advantage over their competitors operating in the same market. For instance, we as a consumer if went to any restaurant for dinner prefer the one with FSSAI Logo displayed on their entrance rather the one with no such license.
- It ensures the health and hygiene of food safety
- FSSAI License ensures the business expansion and diversification soon
The Process to Procure State FSSAI License
Following is the simplified steps for FSSAI license:
- Submit Form A to food and safety department with complete documents attached thereto
- Department approves or rejects the application within seven days from the receipt of an application
- The registration certificate is granted on acceptance of application along with registration number mentioned on it