What is Central FSSAI License?
Central Food License is obtained by the food businesses carrying activities such as manufacturing, storage, distribution, and retailing food products. Depending upon the nature of activities carried by the food business, FSSAI License is issued either as a state license or a central license.
Know More about Food License
FSSAI stands for the Food Safety and Standards Authority in India who monitors and regulates food-related business in India. This body was established to ensure the hygiene and safety of food products is maintained by reducing the practices of food adulteration and selling of sub-standard quality products.
The authority issue the Food License to that business who is engaged in activities involving food or related products for human consumption and lays down the rules & regulations which has to be adhered to by Food Business Operators in India. Two kinds of FSSAI License are issued in India, i.e. State FSSAI License and Central FSSAI License.
FSSAI Central License Eligibility and criteria
- Dairy Units producing milk unit of 50000 litres or 2500 megaton milk solid yearly
- Processing Units that produce 2MT of vegetable oil daily
- Slaughter unit with the daily capacity of:
1. 50 large animals
2. 150 small animals
3. 1000 poultry birds
- Meat processing unit with a capacity of 50 KG or 150 megatons daily
- Food processing unit with a daily capacity of 2 megaton
- Export-oriented units
- Units are having a cold storage or refrigerator facility with a storage capacity of 10000 megatons or more.
- Wholesalers engaged in food business having an annual turnover exceeding INR 30 Crore.
- Retailers and distributor engaged in food business having an annual turnover exceeding INR 20 Crore.
- A business engaged in the activities of catering, food serving in restaurants or food marketing with an annual turnover of INR 20 Crore or more.
Documents required for obtaining Central FSSAI License
To make your process of applying Central License easier, we have enumerated the complete list of documents required at the time of obtaining Central FSSAI License:
- Duly filled and signed form B of FSSAI regulations
- Plan the layout of the premise with complete measurements of the manufacturing and operational unit.
- In case the applicant is a company: a complete list of directors such as name, address proof, contact details along with a copy of MOA, AOA & COI are necessary.
- In case the applicant is a partnership firm: a complete list of all the partners such as name, address proof, contact details, etc. along with a copy of partnership deed is necessary.
- In case the applicant is a co-operative society: a complete list of all the members such as name, address proof, contact details, etc. are necessary.
- If the applicant for a license is a registered trust: a copy of trust deed and record of trustees is required
- Address proof of premise is required, which can be any one of the following documents:
1. Electricity bill
2. Rent agreement
3. Registry of the premise, etc
- Food safety management plan or similar system in place
- Source of milk, raw materials, and other food products along with its location.
- NOC by the municipality or local authorities.
- If the applicant runs a hotel and the central license is obtained for the same, tourism certificate issued by the ministry of tourism shall be compulsorily attached.
Renewal of Central FSSAI License
If the issued license is getting expired, food operators need to apply for renewal of same. As per the eligibility, the applicant shall apply in duly signed and completed Form A or Form B with necessary attachments for renewal such as:
- Self-declaration attested by an applicant
- Passport size photograph
- Aadhar & PAN of applicant
- Voter Id or driving license of an applicant in support of Identity proof
On receiving the application, the authority examines and scrutinizes the renewal application. After completing the investigation and on being assured about the authenticity of documents and information provided the authority issues renewed Central FSSAI License.
Frequently Asked Questions
Fees for Central License vary as per the requirement of an applicant such as:
- For fresh application: INR 7500
- For renewal of license: INR 7500
- For medication or amendment on existing license: INR 7500
- For the issue of the duplicate license: 10% of original fees
Following are the list of punishable offences under FSSAI Act:
- If the food operators provide food of sub-standard quality is liable to a penalty up to INR 5 Lakh.
- Any person sell or distribute food products for human consumption that is misbranded shall pay the penalty up to INR 3 Lakh
- Anyone who publishes the advertisement describing the food in such way that misleads the consumer or gives the false information about its quality shall be liable to a penalty up to INR 10 Lakh
- Any food operators that required to get a state or central license to fail to do so and continue to operate without such license is liable to a penalty of INR 5 Lakh and imprisonment of about six months.
- If the already registered food operators fail to renew its expired license and kept operating without holding valid license shall be to pay charges of INR 100 per day till the default continues.
Following are the different kind of FSSAI License based on volume or size of business:
- Central FSSAI License for large food operators
- State FSSAI License for medium food business
- Registration for petty food businesses such as food trucks, food stalls, etc.
FSSAI has set prescribed standards for food products that shall be continuously adhered to by the food operators. FSSAI regulatory authorities also keep a check and monitor such food businesses that they are fulfilling the standards prescribed.