What is Central FSSAI License?
FSSAI stands for the Food Safety and Standards Authority in India who monitors and regulates food-related business in India. This body was established to ensure the hygiene and safety of food products is maintained by reducing the practices of food adulteration and selling of sub-standard quality products.
Know More about Food License
Central Food License is obtained by the food businesses carrying activities such as manufacturing, storage, distribution, and retailing food products. Depending upon the nature of activities carried by the food business, FSSAI License is issued either as a state license or a central license.
It lays down the eligibility criteria for food business falling under the purview of Central Licensing Authority. Depending upon the eligibility criteria if FBO is dealing with different kind of business with different eligibilities in a single premise, food business operator can opt for a single highest license for all the business.
Central FSSAI License
The authority issue the Food License to that business who is engaged in activities involving food or related products for human consumption and lays down the rules & regulations which has to be adhered to by Food Business Operators in India. Two kinds of FSSAI License are issued in India, i.e. State FSSAI License and Central FSSAI License.
Eligibility Criteria of Central FSSAI License
- Dairy Units producing milk unit of 50000 litres or 2500 megaton milk solid yearly
- Processing Units that produce 2MT of vegetable oil daily
- Slaughter unit with the daily capacity of:
1. 50 large animals
2. 150 small animals
3. 1000 poultry birds
- Meat processing unit with a capacity of 50 KG or 150 megatons daily
- Food processing unit with a daily capacity of 2 megaton
- Export-oriented units
- Units are having a cold storage or refrigerator facility with a storage capacity of 10000 megatons or more.
- Wholesalers engaged in food business having an annual turnover exceeding INR 30 Crore.
- Retailers and distributor engaged in food business having an annual turnover exceeding INR 20 Crore.
- A business engaged in the activities of catering, food serving in restaurants or food marketing with an annual turnover of INR 20 Crore or more.
- Food Catering Services in establishments and units under Central Government Agencies like Defence, etc
- Storage , wholesaler, retailer, distributor – Premises in Central Government Agencies
- Food Catering Services in Establishments and units under Central Government Agencies Like and Airport, seaport, etc (Storage, Wholesaler, retailer, distributor premised at seaport locations)
What is the Government Fees Structure for Central FSSAI License?
Payment shall be made by the Food Business Operator through online transfer. The fee paid by any applicant for a license shall not be refundable under any circumstances. The fee structures are given below:
- For fresh application: INR 7500
- For renewal of license: INR 7500
- For Modification or amendment on existing license: INR 7500
- For the issue of the duplicate license: 10% of original fees
What are the Advantages of Obtaining the Central FSSAI License?
Food operators enjoy several advantages of obtaining a food license:-
The food license and logo create awareness and brand recognition amongst consumers and the public at large.
- Enhances Credibility
A valid Food license allows the business of each level to improve and enhance the credibility.
- Ensures Customer Building
FSSAI Logo helps in the process of customer building.
- Competitive Advantage
Food operators having FSSAI License enjoys a vying advantage over their competitors operating in the same market.
- Maintains Food Safety
It ensures the health and hygiene of food safety.
- Expansion and Diversification
FSSAI License ensures the business expansion and diversification soon.
Documents Required for Obtaining New Central FSSAI License
To make your process of applying FSSAI Central License easier, we have enumerated the complete list of documents required at the time of obtaining Central FSSAI License:-
- Duly filled and signed form B of FSSAI regulations
- Plan the layout of the premise with complete measurements of the manufacturing and operational unit.
- In case the applicant is a company: a complete list of directors such as name, address proof, contact details along with a copy of MOA, AOA & COI are necessary.
- In case the applicant is a partnership firm: a complete list of all the partners such as name, address proof, contact details, etc. along with a copy of partnership deed is necessary.
- In case the applicant is a co-operative society: a complete list of all the members such as name, address proof, contact details, etc. are necessary.
- If the applicant for a license is a registered trust: a copy of trust deed and record of trustees is required
- Address proof of premise is required, which can be any one of the following documents:
1. Electricity bill
2. Rent agreement
3. Registry of the premise, etc
- Food safety management plan or similar system in place
- Name and List of Equipments and Machinery along
- Source of milk, raw materials, and other food products along with its location.
- NOC by the municipality or local authorities.
- If the applicant runs a hotel and the central license is obtained for the same, tourism certificate issued by the ministry of tourism shall be compulsorily attached.
- IE code document issued by DGFT (If any)
What is the Process to Obtain the Central FSSAI License
The FSSAI License depends on the volume of business and premises. Before starting the food business, the food business operator may go by the-
- Eligibility criteria,
- Fees structure,
- Documentation required, etc.
The Below-mentioned steps are required to obtain the Central FSSAI License-
It is initiated by the submission of Form B. The form must have been filed when the food unit’s turnover is under the given limits and whose zone of activity is limited to the Whole of India.
The application filed may be approved or rejected by the department within 7 days from the application date.
If the application is approved by the department, a registration certificate will be granted along with the 14-digit registration number and the photo of applicant.
After getting the Certificate, the Food business operator should display the certificate of the registration at the place of business during business hours.
Renewal of Central FSSAI License
If the issued license is getting expired, food operators need to apply for renewal of same. As per the eligibility, the applicant shall apply in duly signed and completed Form A or Form B with necessary attachments for renewal such as:-
- Self-declaration attested by an applicant
- Passport size photograph
- Aadhar & PAN of applicant
- Voter Id or driving license of an applicant in support of Identity proof
On receiving the application, the authority examines and scrutinizes the renewal application. After completing the investigation and on being assured about the authenticity of documents and information provided the authority issues renewed Central FSSAI License.
CorpBiz Procedure for Central FSSAI License
The application for Central FSSAI License shall be prepared with careful consideration, and plenty of time should be allowed for all stages of the verification. It is advisable that an attorney with FSSAI Registration experience' must be appointed to overwhelm many of the potential pitfalls that creep around within FSSAI Application.
CorpBiz recommends you that you should be in contact with an advisor to understand the requirement in detail. The elementary information would be mandatory from your end to start the process. The workers will begin working on your document once all the information is provided, and the payment is received.
CorpBiz is one of the platforms which coordinate to fulfill all your legal requirements and connect you to consistent professionals. Yes, our clients are pleased with our legal service! Because of our focus on simplifying legal requirements, they have consistently regarded us highly and providing regular updates.
Our clients can also track at all times the progress on our platform. If you have any questions about the FSSAI Central License registration, our experienced legal advisors are just a phone call away. CorpBiz will ensure that your communication with professionals is charming and seamless.
Frequently Asked Questions
FSSAI license for food premises at Seaport/Airport are issued by Port Health Officers (PHOs) or Airport Health Officers (APHOs) who are notified as the Designated Officers (DOs) by Food Authority. If not designated, Central Licensing Authority of respective area would issue license to the FBOs.
In this case, he is required to obtain a Central License for his Head Office or Registered Office in addition to registration/license for each premise. Separate license must be obtained for each unit depending upon that its capacity or turnover, from the authorized Central/State licensing establishment. Moreover, the same must also be incorporated in Head Office License if there is any food business operations conducted on Head Office/Registered Office premise.
Yes, all catering establishments will have to get a license from FSSAI from central Government such as Railways, Seaport, Airport, and Defence etc.
Yes, FSSAI license is obligatory for both import and export of food products, where you will need to apply for FSSAI Central License Registration for your export unit.
Yes, you are required to obtain FSSAI‟s Central license to import food products for sale in India on the address as given in IEC Certificate from DGFT.
You can submit your food related grievance at https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in/cmsweb/ (FSSAI’s food safety connect portal). Along with that you can also download the Food Safety Connect app where every lodged complaint is assigned with a unique number by which a complainant can track the status of the registered complaint.
Food Business Operators at Airport required obtaining FSSAI Central License. Moreover, the Fee for FSSAI License for food businesses premised at Airport is Rs. 7500 P/Y.
It is important to note that FSSAI License is purely Location based. No Food Business Operators is allowed to possess more than one license for single Location. In that case, all kinds of business must be linked to single License availed for single location. You shall surrender the State License in case you are holding one State License & one Central License, and apply for modification of Central License in order to add the kind of Business described in your State License.
It shall be communicated to concerned Licensing Authorities when the production capacity of a manufacturing unit gets changed by the help of License modification application. Further, FBO must apply for Central License & surrender State License if the change in production capacity changes in criteria of License i.e. from State to Central.