FSSAI Central License- An Overview
FSSAI is a leading government agency that works for the well-being of the masses by implementing relevant food safety norms. Its ultimate objective is to formulate various guidelines and norms to incentivise food safety awareness in India. Also, this institution keeps a constant tap on entities involved in the supply chain of food, right from production to selling. Consumer awareness is something that FSSAI takes very seriously. And that is why it often rolls out various initiatives and keeps the masses informed about substandard and low-quality foods. FSSAI formulates food safety norms and various other guidelines in view of the Food Safety and Standard Act, 2006.
FSSAI Central License is obtained by an FBO (Food Business Operator) with a turnover of more than Rs. 20 Crores or is involved in exporting and importing food products in India.
Fundamental Duties and Functions performed by FSSAI
- Formulating Guidelines and Norms for food safety and hygiene
- Launching initiatives nationwide to create food safety awareness among the masses
- Granting mandatory food license and registration to food business operators
- Facilitating recommendations to GOI in outlining new policies
- Rolling out directions and guidelines in view of the FSS Act, 2006 for the entities operating in the food sector
- Taking legal actions against food businesses allegedly involved in illicit practices such as food adulteration.
Businesses that Require Mandatory FSSAI License
The following types of businesses mentioned below mandatorily require the Registration of FSSAI License:
- E-Commerce Businesses such as Online Home Kitchen
- A business that sells Essential Food Products
- Food Business Operators of the Indian Railways
- Food Businesses that sell Coffee or Coffee-Based Products
- Manufacturers of Powdered Tea
- Food Vending Machines
- Food Businesses that sell Herbalife-Based Products
- Food Business Operators that Import or Export Food Products
- Food Business Operators of the Indian Airports
- Food Marketing Companies
- Businesses that Export Cashews
- Amazon Warehouses
- E-Commerce Businesses that sell prepared food online such as Zomato, Swiggy, Uber Eats, etc.
- E-Commerce Businesses that sell food products online
- Online Businesses that sell packaged commodities, such as Flipkart, Amazon, etc.
- Catering Businesses
- Event Management Businesses
- Colleges and other institutions that have a canteen
- Business involved in retail, export, or import of Fisheries
- Agricultural Products
- Manufactures of Packaged Products
- Manufacturers of various types of Oil
- Food Outlets
- Manufactures of Packaged Drinking Water
- Businesses involved in the retail, export, or import of Dairy Products
- Manufactures of Chocolate and Chocolate-Based Products
- Food Transporters
- Milk Chilling Units
- All types of Food Business Operators
Benefits of getting an FSSAI Central License
Followings are the advantages of obtaining a FSSAI Central License:
- Worldwide Identity
The FSSAI License helps to establish a reputation all over the world. It creates the brand name of the business at a global level.
- Business Expansion
With FSSAI Central License, extending the food business to any new location and opening new outlets is easy. It even makes it easier to get a loan or other funding for the development of a business.
- Legal Advantage
FSSAI License gives a sense of security and legal right to all those who are involved in the food business. It also acts as evidence that the quality of food and the food has not been compromised to safety standards.
- Consumer Awareness
Consumers are more alert about the quality of their food nowadays. So, the food with FSSAI License gives the businesses an advantage in a rapidly increasing consumer base.
Essential Criteria for obtaining FSSAI Central License
FSSAI Central License is legal consent granted by FSSAI to the food businesses which have -
- Annual turnover more than Rs 20 crores or;
- Various units running in multiple states or;
- Monthly or annual production more significant than the prescribed threshold limit;
- Must have an annual turnover of more than Rs. 20 Crores who wants to start a business of import/export of food items and a business for selling food items on their own e-commerce website.
Special Conditions for applying to get FSSAI Central License are as follows:
- Establishing Business of Nutraceutical and Health Supplement;
- Transporting Business with more than 100 vehicles;
- Running hotel with 5-star or 7-stars.
Apart from these essential criteria, FSSAI Central License also encompasses the following -
- Dairy facilities produce milk solid with an annual production of 50000 litres or 2500 megaton
- Processing facilities producing vegetable oil with a daily production volume of 2 MT
- Slaughter facility with a daily capacity of:
- 50 large animals;
- 150 small animals;
- 1000 poultry birds.
- Meat processing facility has a daily production capacity of 50 KG or 150 megatons
- Food processing facility has a daily production of 2 megaton
- Food business shipping food articles abroad
- Facilities having a refrigerator facility or cold storage having a storage capacity of 1000 megatons or more.
- Wholesalers involved in the food business have a yearly turnover of more than Rs 30 crore
- Retailers & distributors of food articles having an annual turnover of more than Rs 20 crores
- A business dealing with catering service or food marketing having a yearly turnover of more than Rs 20 crores
- Restaurants and eating houses have an annual turnover of INR 20 Crore
- Food catering services operating in government-based agencies
- Food catering services in establishments working under the aegis of government include seaports, airports, etc.
Central FSSAI License
Documents Required to Secure FSSAI Central License
Following is the listicle of fundamental documents required to be submitted at the time of application filing for the FSSAI Central License:
- Form B (duly filled and signed by the applicant);
- Floor plan of the production or processing facility, reflecting critical areas with accurate measurements;
- In case the applicant is seeking registration for a company, a complete list of key management personnel such as name and residential proof;
- Copy of MOA, AOA & COI is necessary (if the license seeker is a private limited company, OPC, and Public limited company);
- A complete list of partners reflecting their name, contact detail, address, etc., along with a partnership deed copy (In case the license seeker is a partnership firm);
- List of serving members in a co-operative society (In case the license seeker is a co-operative society);
- Copy of a trust deed as well as the record of trustees ( if case the license seeker is a registered trust);
- Utility bills (electricity bill, rent agreement, registry) of the business place for address proof;
- Food Safety Management Plan (FSMS) or identical protocol in place;
- Name & the list of machines present at the plant;
- List of active raw material suppliers;
- The concerned local authorities accorded no objection certificate;
- Tourism certificate accorded by the ministry of tourism (if the license seeker is a hotel owner);
- IEC certificate accorded by DGFT (Directorate General of Foreign Trade) (if the license seeker intended to ship food articles abroad);
- Import Export Code (In case of Import export);
- Declaration in case of turnover more than Rs. 20 crores.
Procedure to Obtain FSSAI Central License
Step-by-Step processes for Securing Central FSSAI License are as follows:
- Step-1: Application Filing Via Form B
First, the license seeker is required to file Form B with the licensing Authority. While doing so, the applicant has to keep basic turnover criteria in mind.
- Step-2: Applicant Scrutiny by FSSAI Officials
Once submitted, the Application accompanied by requested documents will be sent to the concerned officials for in-depth scrutiny.
- Step-3: On-Site Inspection by FSSAI’s Official of The Business Place
In this step, the FSSAI will send the designated officials to the business place to determine the level of compliance recommended by FSSAI.
Any non-conformity in this regard could increase the chances of application cancellation.
- Step-4: Approval of Application and Grant of The Application
Once the licensing Authority approves the Application, the certificate will find its way to the license seeker in a few days. After getting the certification, the business owner can commence their business operation at full throttle.
Note: Displaying the Certificate at The Business Place Is Another Legal Mandate for The License Holder.
Validity and the Renewal of FSSAI Central License
The Central FSSAI license comes with a flexible validity duration ranging from 1-5 years. The cost of the license would increase in accordance with the validity period. As far as the renewal is concerned, the FSSAI Central License should be renewed before the 30 days of the expiration date, or else the penalties would be levied.
The renewal process for a food license is as simple as applying for a new one. While filing the renewal application, the applicant needs to upload the following documents:
- Passport Size Photograph
- Id Proof such as Aadhaar Card, Voter ID, etc.
- PAN Card
- Address proof by submitting telephone bills, electricity bills, etc.
- Copy of the Land Deed or Agreement for proof of ownership
- In case the premises are rented, the applicant must submit the rental agreement copy and the No Objection Certificate from the Landlord.
Secure FSSAI Central License in a Hassle-free way with Corpbiz
Corpbiz is a class-leading licensing platform that offers a comprehensive portfolio of services, including all types of food licenses. The professionals at this platform simplify the licensing process via seamless paper handing and unprecedented professionalism. To ensure complete transparency, Corpbiz allows its esteemed clients to keep a constant tab on the Application’s progress.
Frequently Asked Questions
First, you need to file Form B available on the FSSAI’s official portal. During filing, you need to upload some key documents, including firm registration, floor plan, and members.
As per the basic criteria set out by FSSAI, a business with an annual turnover of more than 20 crore needs to get this license.
The formal request for such license conversion can be made on the FSSAI’s official portal.
The basic government cost for securing FSSAI Central License has been capped at Rs 7000 for one year.
Food Safety Standards Authority of India.
FSSAI Basic Registration, FSSAI State License, and Central FSSAI license
FSSAI Central license can take a time period of 30 days.