Overview of BIS Registration
Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is a government-backed body involved with Conformity Assessment, Standardization, and Quality Assurance of goods, services, processes and systems. The Indian standards developed by this apex organization underpin the basis for the Product Certification Schemes, which facilitates Third Party Assurance of safety, quality, & reliability of products to the end-users.
BIS certification scheme is essentially voluntary in nature. But, for certain products, compliance to Indian standards is made mandatorily by the Indian Government under several considerations, namely; Public interest, human safety, animal or plant health, environmental protection, prevention of illicit trade practices & national security. For these goods, the Indian Government mandates the use of Standard Mark under Certificate of Conformity (CoC) or license from BIS via issuance of QSOs.
Key Undertakings Performed by BIS
- Standards formulation
- Registration scheme
- Certification: product, hallmarking and systems
- I-Care Activities (for consumer and industry)
- International Activities
- Financial Resources
- Training and Information services
Objectives of BIS
- Continual & harmonies development of standardization, quality certification, & marking
- Seamless development of a national strategy for standards recognition and syncing them with development of products as well as exports
- To ensure new thrust to quality control and standardization.
Key Benefits of Securing BIS certification
In a nutshell, BIS certificate;
- Provides ground for Total Quality Management, i.e. TQM
- Ensures better utilization of resources
- Get rid of overhead expenses used to manufacture the final products.
- Facilitate global recognition, thereby ensuring access to untapped and overseas market
- Serves as strong evidence of product quality
- Enable firm to deploy bespoke quality management
- Aids firm to improve market reputation over time.
Products Covered Under Mandatory Certification: Scheme - I (ISI Mark Scheme)
- Household Electrical goods
- Oil Pressure Stoves
- Automobile Accessories
- Cylinder, Valves and Regulator
- Medical Equipment
- Steel and Iron Products
- Electrical Transformers
- Electrical Motors
- Chemicals, Fertilizers, Polymers & Textiles
- Kitchen Appliances
- Domestic Water Heaters for use with LPG
- Air Conditioner and its related Parts, Hermetic Compressor and Temperature Sensing Controls
- Plugs and Socket-Outlets and Alternating Current Direct Connected Static Prepayment Meters for Active Energy
- Domestic Gas Stoves for use with LPG
- Transparent Float Glass
- Domestic Pressure Cooker
- Rubber Hose for Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG)
- Aluminium Foil
- Flat Transparent Sheet Glass
- Safety Glass
- Woven Sacks
- Butterfly Valves
- Reflectors for Bicycles
- Cattle Feeds
- Automobile Wheel Rim Component
- Foot Wear
- Press Tool-Punches
- Helmet for riders of Two Wheeler Motor Vehicles
- Refrigerating Appliances
- Centrifugally cast (spun) iron pipes
- Flux Cored (Tubular) Electrodes
- Sewing Machine
- PVC Pipes and Fittings for Potable Water Supply
- PVC Pipes and Fittings in Agriculture and in Suction and Delivery Lines of Agricultural Pumps and Rain Water Systems
- PVC Pipes and Fittings for Drainage and Sewerage System
- Water Treatment System
Products Under Mandatory Certification: Scheme - II (Registration Scheme)
- Electronic Games (Video)
- Plasma/ LCD/LED Televisions of screen size 32″ & above
- Optical Disc Players with built-in amplifiers of input power 200W and above
- Microwave Ovens
- Visual Display Units, Video Monitors of screen size 32″ & above
- Printers, Plotters
- Wireless Keyboards
- Telephone Answering Machines
- Amplifiers with input power 2000W and above
- Electronic Musical Systems with input power 200W and above
- Electronic Clocks with Mains Powers
- Set-Top Box
- Automatic Data Processing Machine
- Power Adaptors for IT Equipments
- Power Adaptors for Audio, Video & Similar Electronic Apparatus
- UPS/Invertors of rating≤5kVA
- DC or AC Supplied Electronic Control gear for LED Modules
- Sealed Secondary Cells/Batteries containing Alkaline or other non-acid Electrolytes for use in portable applications
- Self-Ballasted LED Lamps for General Lighting Services
- Fixed General Purpose LED Luminaries
- Mobile Phones
- Cash Registers
- PoS terminal
- Copying Machines/Duplicators
- Smart Card Readers
- Mail Processing Machines/Postage Machines/Franking Machines
- Passport Reader
- Power Banks for use in portable applications
- Recessed LED Luminaries
- LED Luminaires for Road and Street lighting
- LED Flood Lights
- LED Handlamps
- LED Luminaires for Emergency Lighting
- UPS/Inverters of rating ≤ 10kVA
- Plasma/ LCD/LED Television of screen size up to 32"
- Visual Display Units, Video Monitors of screen size up to 32"
- CCTV Cameras/CCTV Recorders
- USB driven Barcode readers, barcode scanners, Iris scanners, Optical fingerprint scanners
- Smart watches
- Standalone LED Modules for General Lighting
- Lighting Chain (Rope Lights)
- Induction Stove
- Automatic Teller Cash dispensing machines
- USB Type External Hard Disk Drive
- Wireless Headphone and Earphone
- USB Type External Solid- State Storage Devices (above 256 GB capacity)
- Electronic Musical System with input power below 200 Watts
- Standalone Switch Mode Power Supplies (SMPS)with output voltage 48 V (max)
- Television other than Plasma/ LCD/LED TVs
- Rice Cooker
- Wireless microphone
- Digital Camera
- Video Camera
- Webcam (Finished Product)
- Smart Speakers (with and without Display)
- Dimmers for LED products
- Bluetooth speakers
List of Electronics & IT Goods under 'Compulsory Registration Scheme' for Self Declaration of conformity-Notified by Ministry Of Electronics And Information Technology
- Low – Voltage switchgear & control gear-Notified by Ministry Of Heavy Industries And Public Enterprises
- Low – Voltage switchgear & controlgear: Circuit – Breakers
- Low – Voltage switchgear & controlgear: switches, disconnectors, switch disconnectors and fuse – Combination units
- Low – Voltage switchgear & controlgear: electromechanical contactors and Motor – starters
- Low – Voltage switchgear & controlgear: a.c semiconductor motor controllers and starters
- Low – Voltage switchgear & controlgear: a.c.semiconductor motor controllers and contactors for non – Motor loads
- Low – Voltage switchgear & controlgear: electromechanical control circuit devices
- Low – Voltage switchgear & controlgear proximity switches
- Low – Voltage switchgear & controlgear: electrical emergency stop devices with mechanical latching function
Ortho Phosphoric Acid (as notified by Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers)
- Ortho Phosphoric Acid
Products Under Mandatory Certification: Scheme – IV (Issuance Of Certificate Of Conformity)
- Stampings/laminations/cores of transformers (with or without winding)
- Retro-Reflective Devices for Bicycles
Types of Documentation Needed for BIS registration
BIS demands number of documents as shown below for the issuance of BIS certification to the applicant
Self-certified copy of any one of the given documentations manifesting the firm's status
- Registration accorded by the State Government authority/trade license, or
- Registration granted by RoC, or
3: Partnership deed ( only in case of partnership firm), or
4: Certificate granted by CA in case of a Proprietorship firm.
Self-certified copy of any one of the below-mentioned documents authenticating the firm's premises (latest ones, i.e. not more than three months old):
- Registration accorded by the State Government authority/trade license, or
- Income Tax assessment order, or
- GST registration, or
- Insurance Policy, OR
- Utility Bill, or
- Property tax receipt, or
- Lease Deed agreement or Rent agreement with last rent receipt, or
- Bank statement reflecting the address of the business place
Any one of the following documents like identity proof of signatory on the application:
- Aadhar Card, OR
- PAN card, OR
- Voter Identity card, OR
- Driving Licence, OR
- Photo Bank ATM card, OR
- Passport, OR
- Photo Credit card, OR
- Arms licence, OR
- CGHS/ECHS photo card
- Identity Certificate with photo accorded by the Gazetted Officer on official letterhead, OR
- Disability ID card/ Handicapped Medical Certificate accorded by State Govts, OR
- Freedom Fighter photo card, OR
- Ration/PDS photo pard, OR
- Pensioner photo card, OR
- Photo ID accorded by a recognized educational institution, OR
- Kissan Photo PassBook
Additional Documents for BIS certification
- Agreement printed on the non-judicial stamp paper worth Rs 100 in the standard format.
- Location map
- Copy of Trademark registration
- Legal Address Proof of Factory
- The organizational chart of the Factory
- List of Machinery as well as equipment
- Documents of Authorized Indian Representative, i.e. AIR for the overseas manufacturer.
Technical details of products
The authority generally requires technical information for the purpose of a lab test. Some fundamental information needed for lab test includes;
- PCB Layout
- User Manual
- Schematic Diagram
- Critical Components List
- Acknowledgement receipt acquired at the time of online file submission;
- Letter of authority from the company's CEO;
- Affidavit and undertaking relating to AIR, i.e. Approved Indian Representative attested with identification proof of the person enclosing signature in the affidavit. Note: This is only required in the case of the overseas manufacturer;
- Undertaking relating to testing report
- Original test report(s) from BIS-certified lab (not older than one month)
- Form VI and VII;
The entire assessment for the grant of BIS certification would take around a month or so. This includes the testing phase as well.
An Overview on the BIS Registration Schemes
The BIS Registration for the items is characterized under different types of schemes which are mentioned below:
Normal Procedure for Indian Manufacturer
The applicant must furnish the Application for BIS certification attested with documentation above and the standard fees. Post submission of the application, in-depth scrutiny is performed by the BIS official where the sample product is tested extensively in the production facility and drawn an independent testing report. The successful evaluation shall lead to the grant of BIS certification. It usually takes around 120 days or so to get the certification after applying.
Simple Domestic Manufacturers Procedure
In this procedure, the applicant requires submitting the application and test report granted by the certified lab. After validating the test report, the BIS officials proceed to evaluate the production facility and accordingly grant the certificate within 30 days of application submission.
The simplified procedure is applicable for the issuance of All India First license & for all the products except the one mentioned below."
- Products like valves, cement, cylinder, etc., where is mandatory to avail the consent from another statutory authority;
- All those items for which BIS certification is granted on the basis of factory testing;
- Packaged Drinking Water, aka PDW & Packaged Natural Mineral Water (i.e. PNMW).
Eco Mark Scheme
BIS also facilitates license to eco-friendly items covered under the special scheme- ECO mark scheme. All such products are classified according to the fundamental requirements cited under Indian standards.
Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme
The ISI mark for foreign nationals and goods manufacturers is granted under the independent scheme within six months. The Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme concept, aka FMCS, came to effect in the year 2000. BIS launches this scheme to help overseas manufacturers and applicants secure Standard Mark on their products.
Key points to be noted regarding FMCS
- FMCS is a BIS-oriented scheme accessible to overseas manufacturers as per the BIS Act, 2016 & Bureau on Indian Standards (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, 2018.
- This license is only available for goods that adhere to applicable Indian Standards.
- The standards may be voluntary or mandatory certification.
- BIS license to use or affix Standard mark is issued for items produced in the production facility and fulfils the relevant Indian standard(s).
A tatkal licensing scheme came to effect in the year 2014. The said scheme aims at rendering prompt license to the applicant seeking registration on an urgent basis. The scheme covers only those applicants seeking BIS Certification Marks Licence for goods cited under the BIS list of mandatory certifications. The application processing time under this scheme has been slashed down to 30 days. The applicant seeking a license under this scheme needs to bear two-fold charges in terms of Application & Inspection fees. The same is also true for priority testing of samples.
Steps Need To Be Performed For Securing BIS Registration
Applicants can apply for BIS certification via offline or online mode. The following instruction is meant for applicants seeking to apply via offline mode;
- Visit the BIS portal and download the perceived application form.
- Fill the application and attest to the aforesaid documentations.
- Submit the applicant and attested documents to the BIS office via post.
- BIS officials, upon receiving the said application, shall initiate the standard evaluation process of the same.
- After document verification, on-site scrutiny will be conducted by the BIS official, and after that detailed report shall be generated.
- Next, the BIS officials make their visit to the production facility for sample testing. The sample may be tested on-site or via BIS-certified labs, depending on the type of products.
- A detailed report will be generated after the evaluation process, and accordingly, the certificate is issued to the applicant.
What Is the Role of Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS)?
- Compulsory Registration Scheme, i.e. CRS, aims to facilitate much-needed momentum to the rapidly thriving sectors of IT and electronics while concurrently safeguarding Indian customers from mediocre & substandard products.
- Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (aka MeitY), formerly known as DeitY, has notified "Electronics and Information Technology Goods (Requirement for Compulsory Registration) Order, 2012" on October 3rd 2012, for the very first phase of electronics products.
- Since then, more phases have been appended to the Compulsory Registration Scheme(CRS). Orders clearly stated that no individual should manufacture, sell, ship, or distribute products that defy the Indian standard and lack standard marking with a unique registration number secured from BIS.
- The licensing authority, i.e. BIS issues a license to the product manufacturers to affix standard mark along with unique R-number via registration based on self-declaration conformity as per the Indian Standards.
- The grant of license & its undertaking under Compulsory Registration Scheme is performed as per the conformity assessment scheme exists under Scheme - II of Schedule - II of BIS (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, 2018'.
Get In Touch With Corpbiz Professional for Availing Of BIS Certification with Ease
There is no denying that securing BIS certification is an intricate affair that seeks adequate skill and a professional approach. A lot of mistakes occurs in the documentation part that inherently leads to the cancellation of the application. With Corpbiz support at your disposal, you do not need to encounter such hassles. All you need to facilitate requested credentials and information to our expert, and you are good to go. Our professionals will take care of all the formalities and ensure seamless delivery of certification in a prompt time frame.
Frequently Asked Questions
First, fill up the standard application form and attach the same with mandatory documents. Next, appoint an AIR, i.e. Authorized Indian Representative, via the standard nomination form. Lastly, submit these documents at the BIS headquarter, New Delhi, along with the standard fee.
BIS Registration Certificate is essentially granted to Manufacturing Units. However, traders and importers of eligible products can also secure this certification in the name of their respective Manufacturing Units.
Product certification as per the BIS is aimed to guarantee safety, quality, and reliability to third parties. The certification aims to ensure product conformity as per the Indian Standards (IS).
BIS registration remains valid for the duration of two years, and it is renewal in nature. The authority seeks a few documents and prescribed fees for this purpose. On-site or lab testing is not required to renew the BIS certification.
The BIS mark is mandatory for several types of IT and electrical items, including TV, keyboard, batteries, etc. In contrast, the ISI mark is compulsory for items like food products, cement, steel material etc. The ISI mark also encompasses various voluntary BIS certification product categories.
Yes, given the exemption cited in the compulsory hallmarking order, a jeweller with a yearly turnover of less than INR 40 lacs may sell hallmarked jewellery in locations under mandatory hallmarking if they have a certificate of registration from BIS.
Common documents required for securing BIS registration include a Business certificate, tax certificate, List of machinery and product, AIR nomination form ( in case of the foreign manufacturer), etc.