Overview of Fire Department NOC
For protection against damages caused by fire damages, a NOC that stands for No Objection Certificate is issued by the Indian Fire Department. After evaluating the affected premise and fire assistance and the mechanism used for fire safety, the NOC is given. The evaluation results shall meet all the fire safety standards and guidelines issued by the Bureau of Indian Standards.
Once the inspection is done and the authority finds that the standards used are as expected, it issues a NOC for the Applicant's building (Commercial or Residential). The NOC is issued by the respective state ‘Fire Service Department’, which acts accordingly.
However, the guidelines and procedures for issuing NOC differ from state to state. Multi-plex buildings of more than 15 meters in height shall get Fire NOC compulsory from respective state fire services.
What are the Benefits of Getting the Fire Department NOC?
Helps In Applying for Trade License
A Fire Department NOC is compulsory as an attachment for applying for a trade license to the civil body in a particular state.
Helps In the orchestration of Any Trade or Business In India
Fire Department NOC is one of the compulsory requirements prescribed by the fire department for carrying on any trade or business activities in India.
Ensures Safety Precautions in Premise
Fire Department NOC ensures that safety precautions are in place to protect the people in the building against any risk.
What is the Checklist for obtaining NOC from the Fire Department?
While applying for Fire Department NOC, the below-mentioned Checklist shall be kept in mind at various stages for obtaining fire department NOC –
A) Pre-Application Requirements
- Recommendations and suggestions issued by the fire department shall have adhered to.
- Site Inspection by the authority.
- The building plan depicting the firefighting system shall be attached with an application.
- Particulars regarding business premise, nature of the business, and other details required.
B) Post-Application Requirements
- Re-inspection of the site once the applicant is making the compliances.
- Approval by the department.
What documents are required to obtain Fire Department NOC?
For obtaining Fire department NOC, the application shall be accompanied by the following documents-
- Id and Address Proof of the applicant.
- Photograph of the premises.
- Completion certificate of electrical Wiring.
- Sets of Building plans consist of a layout plan, including a site plan and layout plan.
- Certificate of Building stability and Building model.
- A certification by the Architect.
What is the Procedure to obtain Fire Department NOC?
Following is the step-by-step process to get NOC from the relevant state's fire department –
- Filling of The Application
- Submission of Requisite Documents
- Forwarding the Application to The Concerned Inspector
- Inspection and Verification of Equipment
- Issuance of the Fire Clearance Certificate
Filing the Application
To obtain a fire clearance certificate, the applicant can apply either online through the official website of the relevant state or offline by filling out an offline form to the Fire Service Department.
Submission of Requisite Documents
The requisite documents shall accompany the application.
Forwarding the Application to Concerned Inspector
Once the application is submitted to the chief fire officer, the officer shall forward the same to the concerned inspector of the relevant state having the jurisdiction of a particular state.
Inspection and Verification of Equipment
The concerned inspector will visit the premise and verify that all the equipment is installed along with the requisite arrangement for Fire Safety.
Issuance of Fire Clearance Certificate
After inspecting, the Inspector of the fire brigade of the respective state finds that the building is equipped with all the fire arrangements and is fully satisfied relating to the safety measures provided in a building, shall issue the fire clearance certificate.
The NOC issued by the department remains valid for the following period –
- For commercial purposes, it is three years
- For residential purposes, it is five years
What are the Penalties Applicable for not obtaining the Fire Department NOC?
The penalty for not obtaining the Fire Department NOC is not precisely defined, but non-compliance results in various penal provisions and penalties.
Renewal of Fire Department NOC
For renewal of the Fire Department, below mentioned steps are required-
- The renewal application shall be made to the respective state authority of the fire department to which the prior application was given.
- The application shall be attached with a declaration certified by the competent authority regarding necessary electrical installations that are installed and are in proper condition.
- In case of failure of renewal application on time, apply for renewal within the prescribed time limit, shall be levied following charges-
- No charges if delayed for seven days:
- INR 5 per day, if delayed for 7 to 15 days.
- INR 15 per day, if delayed beyond 15 days.
How Can Corpbiz assist you?
CorpBiz is one platform that coordinates to fulfil all your legal and financial requirements and connect you to consistent professionals. Our clients are satisfied with our legal service because of our focus on simplifying legal requirements. We receive positive responses and consistently provide regular updates.
Our clients can also track at all times the progress on our platform. If you have any questions about the process of getting a NOC from the Fire Department, our experienced representatives are just a phone call away. CorpBiz will ensure that your communication with professionals is positive and seamless.
- Purchase a Plan for Expert Assistance
- Add Queries Regarding NOC from the Fire Department
- Provide Documents to Corpbiz Expert
- Prepare Application for NOC from the Fire Department + Complete all Admissibility Criteria for Preliminary Screening
- Complete Procedural Actions
- Get your work done by CorpBiz for an end to end support
Frequently Asked Questions
The government has made it mandatory for almost every business entity to obtain Fire NOC in India.
Types of fire:
- Class A - Fires involving solid materials such as wood, paper, or textiles.
- Class B - Fires involving flammable liquids such as petrol, diesel, or oils.
- Class C - Fires involving gases.
- Class D - Fires involving metals.
- Class E - Fires involving live electrical apparatus.
- Class F - Fires involving cooking oils such as in deep-fat fryers.
Types of Fire No Objection Certificate:
- Provisional NOC.
- Final-Occupancy NOC.
The Provisional No Objection Certificate ensures that the new constructions meet the fire safety compliant norms.
Documents required for Provisional NOC:
- Site Plan.
- Elevation Plan.
- Section Plan.
- Floor plan of the premise.
- Which institution mandatorily requires Fire Department NOC?
- Residential Apartments.
- Commercial Establishments.
- Industrial Building.
- Special Economic Zone.
- Cinema Halls.
- Schools, colleges, and universities.
- Mercantile Building.
NOC will be valid for a period of-
Three years for commercial buildings and,
Five years for any residential building or premise.
Provisional NOC is granted to the applicant during the pre-construction phase, while Final NOC is given to the applicant after completion.
The department takes a month to issue a No Objection certificate.
Fire safety compliance is required for all working premises to ensure proper submissions related to fire safety compliance is followed.