What is EPF Registration?
EPF stands for Employee Provident Fund, a scheme governed and regulated by a body named Employee’s Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) constituted under Employee’s Provident Funds & Miscellaneous Provisions, Act 1952.
EPFO is the largest social security organization with a large volume of financial transactions taking place. EPF is the benefits availed to the employee on their retirement in the form of Provident Fund.
Applicability of EPF Online Registration
EPF registration applies to the following establishments:
- Establishment employing 20 or more employees during any time in the previous year
- Factory engaged in any industry having 20 or more employees during any time of the year.
- Central Government, after giving two months’ notice to the certain establishment for compulsory registration irrespective of their employees. Such an establishment shall get themselves registered immediately upon the receipt of the notice.
Benefits of EPF Registration
- The employer contributes some proportion to the EPF fund along with the employee. The employer also adds his contribution that is inclusive of the employee pension scheme (EPS).
- Provident fund acts as financial support at the time of retirement, illness, demise, disability or any similar risk occurred to the employee.
- PF account of an employee needs not to be closed in case the employee switches his job as the same can be carried forwarded.
PF funds can be used by the employee for long term plans.
EPF Registration UAN (Universal Account Number)
Once the establishment is registered in the EPFO portal, it updates the KYC documentation of its employees by generating an Universal Account Number (UAN). Every employee can use their UAN number to claim PF fund, transfer of PF fund online to the bank account, etc. The only necessary step that an employee has to follow is activate UAN through the following procedure:
- An employee can visit online for its UAN activation on the official website of EPFO https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
- Complete the details such as UAN, Member Id, Aadhar Number, PAN number, etc
- After that mention your details such as name, address, contact details and complete the form by filling captcha on the screen
- After completing these details, the employee will receive an OTP on his mobile number registered with UAN.
- Employee shall check the box “I Agree” and validate the OTP for activating UAN.
Once the establishment is registered with EPFO, it shall comply with certain mandatory provisions monthly/annually as prescribed under the act:
- Monthly return is filed online through the establishment login by uploading the ECR sheet.
- Return is filed online with the 15th of succeeding month
- ECR sheet can be downloaded through EPFO in the XML sheet that contains name & UAN of every employee registered with the establishment during the month for which return is filed.
- XML sheet shall be converted into a Comma-dilemma file for uploading the same for return filing.
- Complete the return filing by contributing online payment gateways.
Rate of contribution varies depending upon the number of an employee employed in establishment:
For establishment hiring employees 20 or above
Employer and employee of such establishment shall contribute up to 12% of the employee’s salary (Basic wages + Dearness allowances)
For establishment hiring less than 20 employees:
Following establishment that shall contribute at the rate of 10% of basic wages of the employee in spite of 12%.
- An establishment having up to 10 employees and get voluntary registration under EPFO.
- Any establishment incurred loss during the previous year
- Other establishments such as Brick Factory, Jute Factory, Beedi making factory, etc.
Procedure of Online EPF Registration
Apply online on the official website of EPFO https://www.epfindia.gov.in/ by selecting the option of “Establishment Registration”. Complete the details of employers such as the name of the establishment, address of the establishments, details of owner/employer, PAN of the employer, etc.
Verification through OTP
Once the online form is completed & upon submitting the form online, the applicant will receive OTP Pin on his registered email id and mobile number, which shall be verified to activate establishment login.
Once the employer registration is completed and verified, the applicant can log in with the credentials for completing the details of the Establishment. DSC Registration: After the registration of the establishment is completed, the applicant needs to register the DSC online by Selecting the "DSC/E-Sign" option from the drop-down menu. DSC is registered for authorized signatory on behalf of such establishment.
Once the registration is completed, the department allows the EPF registration certificate in form 5 containing the Unique Identification Number.
Update KYC of every employee
After the registration is completed and form 5 is allotted, the applicant shall update the KYC of every employee by uploading Aadhar, bank statement and other details for the generation of UAN number of its employee.
Entities willing to get themselves registered under EPF & ESI both, can now through common registration facility available under which entity can get the EPF Code number and ESI Code number by filling the single application.
Documents Required for EPF Registration
Following documents are required for filing employer registration & establishment registration under EPF:
- Name of the employer
- PAN Card of the employer
- Id proof such as driving license/passport/voter-id
- Address proof of registered office such as electricity bill/rent agreement (in case premise is rented)/registry(for owned premise)
- In case the establishment is society, trust, LLP or company, copy of Certificate of Incorporation is needed
- Partnership deed, id proof & address proof of every partner if the establishment is partnership firm
- MOA & AOA if the applicant is a private or public company
- Details of employees for allotment of UAN number:
• Aadhar card
• Pan card
• Bank account details such as account number & IFSC Code
• Contact number & email id
• Date of birth as per Aadhar
• Designation of employees
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, out of a total 12% EPF contribution of the employer, 8.33% is deposited to the Employee pension scheme (EPS) that can be withdrawn on the retirement of an employee.
An entity can be registered up to 3authorised signatory by updating its DSC on the EPFO portal. Such DSC is required to be updated to verify the KYC documentation online & for completing the PF claim online.
Out of the total employer’s contribution of 12%, about 8.33% is converted to the Employees' Pension Scheme, where the rest amount of 3.67% is converted into the EDLI account.
The Employees’ Fund Organization or EPFO allots the UAN to the contributory members of EPFO.
Yes, employers can search UAN of other establishments by selecting the ‘search UAN’ option by using the member ID or the UAN.
This scheme is applicable to all companies or business establishments which employ over 20 or more employees.
A retired employee, an employee who is migrating abroad for permanent settlement, apprentice or interns, etc. are excluded from this scheme.
An employer is responsible for depositing all the amount which is deducted from the employees’ salaries as well as they have to pay the employer’s contribution.
Yes, the EPFO being a Governmental Organization comes under the RTI Act.
Currently, any PF withdrawals are credited directly into the beneficiary’s bank account.
No, it is strictly and specifically prohibited under Section 12 of the EPF and MP Act.
In such a case, the contribution is calculated on the basis of the wages paid in a calendar month.
No. an employer cannot join the PF.
The nominee receives the pension in case of the death of the pension member.