An Overview of ISI Certification
ISI stands for Indian Standards Institute; it is the certificate scheme under BIS which ensures that a product withstands the BIS Standards and safety. ISI Mark Certification allows you to use the ISI Mark. Under the ISI Certificate, 346+ products fall, which requires an ISI Certification mandatorily, and without this, the manufacturer won't be able to sell and manufacture products in India.
The ISI Certification is BIS's most recognised product quality certification mark. ISI Certification ensures the safety and quality standards of products delivered to the customers. The ISI Mark guarantees that the products adhere to Indian Standards. The process of obtaining an ISI Mark is a voluntary act. The Certificate proves that electrical items or appliances are safe for use.
Any manufacturer or importer who wants to get their product registered with the ISI Scheme of BIS must follow pre-defined procedures from the department, which comprise testing of product, application filing, inspection, and application scrutiny.
Primary Objectives of ISI Certification
- It increases customer satisfaction and enhances the business goodwill;
- Reducing wastage of resources & thereby minimising the costs of production;
- Confirming delivery of high-quality products to consumers;
- Provide better growth prospects to the business;
- Provide a guarantee of safety and quality of products;
- Mitigating product rejections.
Important Points to Consider for ISI Certification
Following are some vital points to consider for ISI Certification:
- If the quality of the product is not good, then you can file a complaint to BIS;
- The BIS Officer will take three months to examine the complaint filed against a manufacturer;
- The seller should specify details of the ISI Mark Certification on every invoice;
- The BIS regularly observes all the manufacturers.
Benefits of Obtaining ISI Certification
Following are some benefits of obtaining ISI Certification in India:
- Market Benefits: This Certificate will provide a huge market benefit over uncertified products like the unchallenging & uninterrupted production of products. Also, ISI Certification verifies that your products have been manufactured with proper standards, which confirms safety.
- Access into Market: A certified product provides an extensive market because it shows better quality and conformity to following safety standards and consumers' security. A product with this mark would be more trustworthy, providing you with more comprehensive market access.
- Provides Competitive Advantage: ISI certification shows the standard quality of the product, which provides the manufacturer with a competitive edge because a customer always prefers a certified product.
List of Products under ISI Certification
Following is the list of all the products under ISI Certification:
- Household Electrical goods
- Oil Pressure Stoves
- Automobile Accessories
- Cylinder, Valves and Regulator
- Medical Equipment
- Steel and Iron Products
- Electrical Transformers
- Electrical Motors
- Chemicals, Fertilisers, Polymers & Textiles
- Kitchen Appliances
- Domestic Water Heaters for use with LPG
- Air Conditioner and its related Parts, Hermetic Compressor and Temperature Sensing Controls
- Plugs and Socket-Outlets and Alternating Current Direct Connected Static Prepayment Meters for Active Energy
- Domestic Gas Stoves for use with LPG
- Transparent Float Glass
- Domestic Pressure Cooker
- Rubber Hose for Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG)
- Aluminium Foil
- Non-Electric Toys
- Electric Toys
- Flat Transparent Sheet Glass
- Safety Glass
- Woven Sacks
- Butterfly Valves
- Reflectors for Bicycles
- Cattle Feeds
- Automobile Wheel Rim Component
- Foot Wear
- Press Tool-Punches
- Helmet for riders of Two-Wheeler Motor Vehicles
- Refrigerating Appliances
- Centrifugally cast (spun) iron pipes
- Flux Cored (Tubular) Electrodes
- Sewing Machine
- Water Treatment System
- Jute Bag
Documents Required for Getting ISI Certification
Following are some vital documents required for getting ISI Certification:
- Address proof of the manufacturing unit;
- Copy of Certificate of Registration;
- A certified copy of the test report by a BSI-certified lab;
- Details of equipment used for testing;
- Copy of Trademark Registration Certificate;
- Packaging details such as product size, quantity, storage facility, etc.;
- Layout plan of the factory;
- Certificate copy from the Regulatory Authority;
- A copy of the bank statement of the company;
- Flow chart of the manufacturing process;
- Indian residency proof;
- Particulars regarding the raw material being used;
- Latest utility bills such as electricity bills, gas bills, water tax receipts, etc.;
- Product or component drawing.
Procedure for Obtaining ISI Certification in India
The manufacturer of the products submits the Application along with required documents and fees to BIS. After receiving the Application, BIS officers conduct factory inspections, collect a sample of products, test them, and make an independent testing report. The BIS ISI Certification is provided if the product meets the confirmed quality standards.
The steps to be followed for ISI Certification are as follows:
Step 1: Select Product Code: This is the primary step to select the product quality that complies with all the guidelines set by the BIS. The applicant must identify & choose an ISI standard product code for their product.
Step 2: File Application: Once you select the product code, we will help you apply for ISI Certification. Further, the applicant must pay audit and registration fees for further inspection.
Step 3: BIS Inspection of The Factory Premise: Once we file the Application, then the BIS Office and the inspection team will visit the factory premise of the applicant and examine the quality control & manufacturing process. The officer will collect some products as samples and send the same for testing in a BIS-certified lab.
Step 4: Submit Sample Report: It is necessary to submit the sample report of the product from the certified labs and submit it to BIS.
Step 5: Grant of ISI Certificate: Once the application and inspection process are completed, the BIS issues an ISI Certificate. Generally, the process of obtaining ISI Certification takes 30 days from the date of Application.
Validity and Renewal of ISI Certificate
ISI certificate is valid for only one year, and it can be further renewed by filing a renewal application and paying the prescribed renewal fees. The Application for the renewal must be examined by a Practising CA (Chartered Accountant).
Reasons for the Rejection of the ISI Application
There are some conditions which, if not complied with, then BIS reject the ISI application and some reasons the BIS are as follows:
- If the samples are not submitted for testing after submitting the ISI application;
- If there are sufficient technical personnel with the manufacturer;
- The firm or the applicant is indulging in unethical practice;
- In case there is a failure on the manufacturer's part to provide assistance to visiting official at the time of the factory visit;
- If the firm has not submitted correct documents or incomplete documents;
- If there is a vast deviation in the manufacturing facility from the declared (BIS official) facility;
- If there are not sufficient technical personnel with the manufacturer;
- The samples drawn for testing fail the test;
- If there are lack of facilities for testing by the manufacturer;
- If there is non-conformity in factory testing of sample product during 2nd
Note: Before rejecting the ISI Certification application, the BIS will give you 21 days of the notice period, and in this period, you need to hear in person or through a representative. If the reasons provided by the applicant are unsatisfactory, then the BIS will reject the Application.
Corpbiz Assistance for ISI Certification
Corpbiz will help you in obtaining ISI Certification without any difficulties. Corpbiz will provide responsive, competent, and excellent ISI Certification services. To ensure the customer's satisfaction, we work tirelessly to complete the ISI Certification.
For getting Corpbiz assistance, follow these steps:
- Purchase a Plan for Expert Assistance
- Add Queries Regarding ISI Certification
- Provide Documents to Corpbiz Expert
- Prepare Application for ISI Certification
- Complete all Admissibility Criteria for Preliminary Screening
- Complete Procedural Actions
- Get your work done!
Frequently Asked Questions
ISI stands for Indian Standard Institute; it's a body established to create standards required for an orderly commercial growth & maintaining quality in industrial production.
It is valid for only 1 year.
BIS issues ISI Certificate.
Any producer or manufacturer whose product meets the BIS standards can apply for this certification in India.
If any manufacturer misuses an ISI Mark, he or she will be penalised with a penalty of Rs. 50,000 along with imprisonment for up to 1 year.
ISI Mark is for the quality & safety of the products, whereas the Agmark ensures the quality of the agricultural products and BIS Hallmark ensures the purity of gold jewellery.
When you find any duplicate ISI Mark, the compliant BIS immediately.