Overview of Legal heir Certificate
Legal heir Certificate is a document that establishes the relationship between a deceased person and their legal heirs. The Certificate is essential for the legal heir to inherit the property of the deceased person in case he died intestate (i.e. without any will). This certificate ensures that the deceased's possessions and legacy are devolved in the family to the next rightful legal heir.
The Certificate also comes in handy to claim a deceased person's insurance, provident fund, gratuity and other such benefits provided by the government. Along with this it also helps to claim bank balances, shares, and investments of the deceased in case no nominee has been mentioned.
Importance of Legal heir Certificate
- It is essential for transferring the property from the deceased to his successors.
- Insurance companies require this certificate to process claims for insurance.
- It is required by government offices to sanction the grant of a pension to the deceased employee's family.
- The document is necessary for receiving a gratuity, provident funds etc.
- It also comes in handy to receive the arrears of the salary of a deceased government employee.
- It is a mandatory document for appointment on compassionate grounds.
- Legal heir certificates are also needed during the sale of the property of the deceased.
- To pay for the deceased's tax returns
The following people can apply for a Legal heir certificate:
Checklist before applying for a Legal heir certificate
Following is the checklist before applying for a Legal Heir Certificate.
Documents required to obtain Legal Heir certificate
Following is the list of documents required for Legal Heir Certificate:
Book a Free Consultation
Get response within 24 hours
Procedure to obtain Legal Heir Certificate
Following is the procedure to obtain Legal Heir Certificate:
- Visit the Tehsildar/Talukdar office: The applicant needs to visit the nearest Tehsildar or Talukdar office in your district and collect the application form. The applicant can also approach a lawyer dealing in civil matters to assist with the process.
- Application form: The applicant must carefully fill in the details of the application form and provide relevant details.
- Attach Documents: Once the application has been duly filled then the applicant should attach copies of the documents for verifying the details.
- Payment of fees: Submit the application along with the documents to your tehsildar office and pay the requisite fees.
- Acknowledgement of the application: After making the payment, the tehsildar will generate a token with the acknowledgement number. This number can be used to track the process of verification.
- Verification of details: The Tehsildar’s office shall verify the documents and the details mentioned in the application.
- Grant of Certificate: If the above-mentioned steps are complied with, then you shall receive your Legal heir Certificate.
How can Corpbiz help you?
- Fill in the form for our Legal heir certificate service, our experts will reach out to you and collect the required information.
- Then our experts shall help you prepare the documents for the certificate and finalise the paperwork.
- After going through the documents, our experts shall file the application form, take the necessary steps and submit the same to the appropriate office.
Frequently Asked Questions
- The legal heir certificate is issued by the tehsildar/talukdar whereas the Succession certificate is issued by the court.
- A legal heir certificate is used for the transfer of assets. A succession certificate is necessary for the transfer of immovable property.
- A legal heir certificate can only be made by children, wives or parents of the deceased and a succession certificate can be made by any Legal heir.
- A legal heir certificate is usually issued within a span of 15-20 days and a succession certificate requires a hearing of 45 days to see whether any objections arise before the court.