What is Copyright Registration?
This gives the sole right to the owner for the reproduction and the copying of the work and also provides permission to another person for doing so. It refers to the literary works which can be scripts, books, and software or even to audio visual such as photographs, music, movies, etc. Businesses often use Copyright Registration for their product literature or user manuals. Copyrights can also be transferred and is usually owned by the person who created the work or the person's employer who had commissioned it.
6 Copyright Registration Facts
1. Why Copyright Registration?
As soon as you have created some original work, you have become the sole owner and creator of it which can be books, music, software, fashion designs or manuals. Copyright registration helps to recognize your exclusive rights on your own work and in case of a dispute you can use these rights in the court.
2. Purpose of Copyright Registration
This is the place where the claims for Copyright are recorded and registered and is simply an office for the records. It provides the information regarding the procedures for getting a Copyright registration, for the provisions of the Copyright law, to explain the practices and the operations of the Copyright office and also for reporting the facts which may be found in the public records.
3. What protection do I get from Copyright Registration?
The need for Copyright protection arises the minute someone creates a work, for example writes a book. Once you have registered it in the copyright registration office it acts as an insurance policy and anyone who does copyright infringement can be sued by you. The Copyright Registration however can only be done within the first 5 years of the work creation and you must not wait till someone actually steals your work to Copyright Registration.
4. How does another party prove their rights on my work?
They would claim to have existing Copyright registration claim to the work and they will prove that it is permissible to use it and that you stole their work from them rather than creating your own.
5. What are the rights of the Copyright Registration Performer?
The right of the performer includes that of a musician, singer, actor, acrobat, dancer, juggler or even a person delivering a lecture. There are special rights that the performer has upon their work.
6. Can sound recording or film be copyright?
It is important to get a NoC from all those people who are involved in the making of the film, video or audio if you want to copyright it. This provides protection against objections that may arise in the future. This has become very important after the guidelines issued by the Supreme Court regarding the cinematography Copyright Registration.
Process of Copyright Registration
3 Working Days
The basic details will be required regarding Copyright Registration for your work that you wish to be copyrighted along with 3 copies of your content on a CD that has to be with a signed authorization letter which will be mailed by us to you.
2 Working Days
The application will be prepared by our experts and file the forms at the registrar of Copyright Registration on your behalf.
Once the process is complete you will get a diary number and from this date the Copyright Registration will take 1 year. During the course of this time, you will be asked for clarifications regarding any issues that may arise. Our representative will keep you updated with the whole process.
Advantages of Copyright Registration
- It provides legal protection against infringement to your creative work.
- It provides a public record of your work which can also be used for building goodwill and for marketing to the customer.
- The owner maintains the sole right for reproduction or adaption or translation of their work.
Documents needed for Copyright Registration
- Your name, address, Nationality of the applicant.
- What is the applicant's interest in the copyright, such as he is an author of the book or a representative of the author?
- The description and class of work, whether the work is artistic or literary
- Work title, the URL should be given in case of a website
- Whether it is Hindi or English or a combination of different languages
Date of publication if it is published
- Research paper submitted to professor is not publication; it refers to publication in magazines or company magazine
What is the difference between trademark and copyright?
Which one do i Need?
A trademark registration protects a logo or a brand name while Copyright Registration is for unique content like music, book or songs.