Overview on FSSAI Annual Return
Government of India has introduced the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 with the motive to regulate and prevent the food industry. The Food Safety And Standard Act, 2006, consists of laws that direct the sale, manufacturing, storage, distribution and import of food items within the country. Obtaining FSSAI license is mandatory for all the food business operators. Showing off the license within the premises and displaying license number on the labelling and packaging of the food product is also a compulsory thing for them to do. It is essential for food business operators with FSSAI license to file for FSSAI Annual Return.
The term food safety guarantees that food is healthy and clean and is free from diseases like stomach aches, poisoning etc. To ensure the purity of food and packed food items the Food Safety and Standard Act, 2006 was enacted. It has framed the food safety laws and regulates the food industry relating to manufacturing, sale, storage, distribution, and import.
Kinds of Annual Return laid down under the FSSAI Act:
Who should file the FSSAI Annual Return?
- Businesses involved in food manufacturing, importing, exporting, selling are required to file for the FSSAI annual return. Those who are involved in manufacturing and distribution of milk should file for a half-yearly return.
- Each FBO with the business turnover equivalent to or surpassing Rs. 12 lakh.
FSSAI Annual Return
How to file FSSAI Annual Return?
Business operator can file for FSSAI annual return as per their convenience. The annual return form is available in two forms; the operator can fill it either electronically or physically since the form is available in physical format as well.
The details to be included in the FSSAI Annual Return form are as follows:
- Food product name which is being manufactured, exported, imported or handled.
- Bottle size, can size or size of any other package
- Quantity in metric ton
- Quantity in kgs which is being exported or imported
- Selling price per unit of packaging or per kg
- Name of the countries where food products are exported
- Rate per unit or per kg of packaging CIF/FOB
- Mandatory FSSAI Annual Return
It is compulsory for food business operators to file for FSSAI Annual Return. There are two kinds of return and these are:
- FSSAI Form D1
- FSSAI Form D2
To be filed by
Every food manufacturer, importer etc.
Form D2 (half-yearly return)
30th September/30th March
Manufacturer of milk/milk products
FSSAI Form D1
Food business units involved in manufacturing, importing, labelling, packing, re-labelling, and re-packing needs to file for FSSAI Form D1, filling form D1 is mandatory for them. The form is prescribed by the Food Safety Commissioner and is a mandatory thing for the FBOs irrespective of the production they are involved in.
The FSSAI annual return, Form D1 should be filed on or before 31st May of every fiscal year. The form is filed with the Licensing Authority depending upon the type of food products sold by the FBO in the preceding financial year.
FSSAI Form D2
Form D2 is filed half-yearly and not every food business operator is eligible to file Form D2. Instead, FSSAI license holders who are involved in the manufacturing and distribution of milk or milk products can file Form D2.
Form D2 is filled from 1st April to 30th September and from 1st October to 31st March of every financial year.
Exemption from Filling FSSAI Annual Return
Penalty for Late filing of FSSAI Annual Return
According to Section 2.1.13 (3) of FSS (Licensing and Registration) Regulations, 2011, if the food business administrators don't record the return within the prescribed time period, at that point a fine of Rs 100 will be forced on them consistently and will continue expanding if the default proceeds.
Additional Regulations under the FSSAI Act
- A food business must comply with the given mentioned compliances:
- FSSAI rules states factory’s sanitary and hygiene and also keep a record of worker’s hygiene.
- Keep up day by day records of creation, crude materials, use, and sales independently.
- Guarantee that the source and norms of raw material utilized are of ideal quality.
- Not to produce, store or expose for sale, any article of food in any premises. That is close by or part of any privy, urinal, sullage, channel or spot of capacity of waste issue.
- On a daily basis, clean the machines and other equipment.
- Guarantee testing of pertinent synthetic as well as microbiological contaminants in food items, at any rate once in a half year.
- Guarantees that the temperature is exact all through the store network. From the spot of obtainment or sourcing until it arrives at the end buyer.
How will Corpbiz help you with FSSAI annual return filing for your food business?
Filling FSSAI annual return is a tedious and daunting process. It is necessary for every eatery, grocery shop, food distributor, and restaurant to file for FSSAI annual return; all these FBOs file FSSAI Form D1. And FBOs indulge in manufacturing and distribution of milk and milk products file FSSAI Form D2. At Corpbiz, we make sure that you file your return on time without facing any difficulty.
Frequently Asked Questions
Every Business involved in food manufacturing, import, and export of food products or selling is required to file for the FSSAI annual return. Also, those who are involved in the manufacturing and distribution of dairy products should file for a half-yearly return. Each Food Business operator with the business turnover equivalent to or surpassing Rs. 12 lakhs must obtain the FSSAI license and file the return, respectively.
All food business operators are required to obtain the FSSAI License and file the FSSAI return either electronically or Physically as may be prescribed by the concerned Food Safety Commissioner, in Form D-1, on or before 31st May of each year to the Licensing Authority concerning to the classification of food items manufactured or sold by him during the previous financial year.
- Details of the food items manufactured, produced, or sell.
- Description of the Size of a bottle or any other package and Quantity in Metric Ton.
- Value of the products and the selling price per Kg item or unit of packing
- Details of the Exported or imported quantity in Kgs and the list of details of countries or port where they are imported and exported.
- Rate of Carriage In freight and Freight on Board.
Below- mentioned persons are exempted from FSSAI Annual Return-
- Fast food joints
- Grocery stores
If a person fails to file FSSAI Return on time, he will be liable for a penalty of Rs. 100 which will be charged for every day for the time for which the delay continues.
Below-mentioned forms are used for filing FSSAI returns-
- Form D1 -For other manufacturing units and importer
- Form D2 -For Milk processing units with half-year returns
Irrespective of the previous year’s production, all the Food Business operators need to file FSSAI Form D-1. FORM D-1 is an annual return, which can either be filed electronically or in the physical form specified by the Food Safety Commissioner.
Every Food Business Operator engaged in Manufacturing milk or dairy products needs to file a Half-yearly return in the FORM D-2. This return is for a period starting from 1st April to 30th September and 1st October to 31st March of every financial year.
A person can download the list of the supporting documents by clicking on the login page and by selecting the “Supporting Documents”.
The last date for filing the FSSAI Return is 31st May of every financial year.