Overview of FSSAI License Renewal
Every Food Business Operator (FBO) in India must obtain the FSSAI license. Food License ensures that the food business operator is providing standard quality food to its consumer. FSSAI has evolved a comprehensive system of licensing and registration when the requisite criteria are met. Renewal is essential if you want to continue running the food business legally and followingthe FSSAI regulations. The license remains valid for a certain period and the validity varies from 1 to 5 years of period.
Most of the operators don’t realize that FSSAI License renewal is equivalently important as that of getting the FSSAI License. An FSSAI License is required to renew in its validity period itself. Any food entrepreneur who needs to start a business in the food industrial, be it food processing/food manufacturing, packaging/distributing has to file for FSSAI Renewal.
FSSAI has introduced an online application called Food Licensing and Registration System (FLRS) so businesses can apply online for the licences. The FLRS is utilized in five Regional Offices for the issue of licenses and entitlements. They are: - New Delhi, Kolkata, Guwahati, Mumbai and Kerala, Chennai.
Types of FSSAI License Renewal
There are 3 types of FSSAI License Renewal, which are given below:-
- Basic FSSAI License Renewal
Basic FSSAI License Renewal is applicable for all Food Business operators under basic registration having turnover is less than ₹12 Lakhs.
- State FSSAI License Renewal
The State FSSAI license renewal is applicable for all Food business operators whose Turnover is within ₹12 Lakh- ₹20 Crore. The FSSAI License renewal fee depends upon the eligibility of the food business and the validity of the license.
- Central FSSAI License Renewal
The food business operator having a turnover of more than Rs. 20 crore comes under FSSAI Central License. Furthermore, they have to receive a Central FSSAI License Renewal before the expiry of their validity.
What are the Benefits of the Renewal of Food License?
The benefits of FSSAI License Renewal are given below:-
FSSAI License Renewal
What Documents are required for Food License Renewal?
Every food business operator is required to submit requisite documents to apply for the FSSAI License Renewal.
For Basic Registration
- Form A is expected to be submitted and signed by FBOs along-with supporting documents;
- Identity proof such as a Pan Card, Driving license, Voter id card, Passport, Aadhaar card, senior citizen card.
- Two passport size photos of the applicant
- NOC’s by Municipality or Panchayat, Health Department, etc. if any.
- Rent Agreement if any.
For State or Central FSSAI License
- Duly completed and signed Form B
- Photo proof and address proof of Proprietor/ Partner/ Director(s)/ Authorized Signatory.
- Layout plan of the food processing plant
- List of Directors with their full address and contact details,
- ID and address proof of the above persons
- List of food category (for manufacturers)
- Authority letter nominated by the manufacturer to act on behalf of him,
- NOC from the municipality or any other local body
- Name and number of equipment’s as per installed capacity and horsepower for manufacturing and processing unit
- Partnership deed/ or affidavit of proprietorship and in case of a company a copy of MOA and AOA
- Specify the source of the raw material of meat and meat processing unit and source of milk and milk-related products and milk collection center where it is applicable,
- For the hotel industry certificate provided by the Ministry of Tourism
- Pesticide residue report of water for the packaging of products like minerals, carbonated beverages, etc.
- Certificate from the Ministry of Commerce for 100 % EOU (in the case of central license)
- IEC Registration documents issued by DGFT (in the case of Central License)
- Supporting documents as proof of turnover (in the case of Central License)
- The analysis report of water to be used in the food (in the case of Central License)
- Possession proof is necessary (Electricity bill, sales deed, etc.) (in case of Central License)
- A cancelled cheque.
What is the Procedure for FSSAI License Renewal?
The procedure for FSSAI License Renewal can be done offline or online both-
Online Procedure for FSSAI License Renewal
Online renewal of a Food license is the easiest procedure. For obtaining the Online FSSAI License Renewal, the food business operator has to follow a required step. After complying with the process, an applicant will receive the license within 30-60 days.
To apply online, an applicant is required to create the user id and password. Apply with the user ID and password. Also, it is important to upload all the necessary documents. Upon successful submission of the application, an applicant will be provided with an application reference number. Reference number helps in keeping a track of the status of the application for the renewal of a food license.
Note- The user ID generated for the FSSAI Renewal license is valid for 30 days only. Hence, an applicant shall make sure that he/she has completed all the documentation within 30 days.
Offline Procedure for FSSAI License Renewal
FSSAI Renewal process can be done offline also. In the case of offline application also, there are a few steps that need to be followed-
Firstly, based on the eligibility of the food business, the FSSAI License is renewed by filing up the form A, B, and C.
- Form A is for the renewal of Basic Food license, or
- Form B is for the renewal of state or central license.
Secondly, a self-attested declaration is anticipated to go along with the regulations of the Food Safety and Standards Act (FSSA).
Thirdly, the authority will review the application and inspects the Food business operating bases. Once the FSSAI renewal license application, is filled the authority will inspect it. The authority can also send its responsible officers to lead the examination of the FBOs.
Fourthly, once the Food inspection officer is satisfied with the compliance and regulations of the Food Business Operator they will pass on the application along with the report of the inspection.
And lastly, nearly by 60 days, the authorities will issue FSSAI Renewal License. If in case the license is not issued within 60 days of submission then, the Food business operator can carry on the business activity without the renewal.
Additional Requirements to File the FSSAI License Renewal
Additionally, the application for FSSAI license renewal must contain an audit report, FSMS plan, Certificates, or Self-declaration regarding Food Safety Management System has to be filed together. Such a declaration should be provided on the letterhead of the FBO/ firm/ company as per the prescribed format.
Moreover, another requirement of the FSSAI license renewal is filing up of Form No. IX - Form for Nomination of Persons. It is the Responsibility of the company to fill the form in the prescribed format.
Also, A Declaration signed by the Authorized signatory stating that the food business conducted conforms to the Food Safety and Standards Act, Hygiene, and Sanitary Practices.
Furthermore, all FBOs need to comply with the Guidelines provided under Schedule 4 of the Registration and Licensing Regulation issued by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India and to all subsequent rules issued by an authorized person/ authority from time to time. It should be attached with the application for FSSAI license renewal.
What Services are Offered by the CorpBiz in Renewal of FSSAI License?
Corpbiz is offering all the legal services and dealing in all types of licenses and taxation compliances that work on behalf of their clients. Corpbiz team will help you throughout the process of Renewal of FSSAI License and related services. Our Experts will guide and assist you in the renewal of FSSAI License process and also ensures the timely and effective completion of your work.
For any queries related to Renewal of FSSAI license and related services, feel free to contact our experienced and trained professionals at Corpbiz. Call us, our team of experts will provide you a timely update of the process, and get your job completed.
- Our team of experts will assist you on in the renewal of food license based on the nature and size of your business.
- The team will verify all the requisite documents, required for renewal of food license including the category list, Form A, Form B and NOC.
- Once the documents are verified by the experts, we will file Renewal of FSSAI license application for our clients.
- Regular follow up with the authorities and we also keep our clients updated about every step of the way regarding the processes involved.
- Help our clients in procuring the Renewal of FSSAI License and availing all the benefits out of it.
What are the Consequences of not Filing the Food Renewal License after the Expiration of the Food License Period?
If the FSSAI renewal application is not filed within the stipulated period, theFood business operator is charged with a penalty of Rs100 per day. Timely renewal is necessary, as anFSSAI license is considered expired if it is not renewed on time. Hence the food business operator must get the food renewal license done on time. Renewal of license on a timely basis is essential to avoid the penalty and unnecessary hustles. FBO must apply for the renewal 30 days prior to the date of expiry of registration or license.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Allocation of licensing for food products.
- Issuing the license based on the eligibility of the business within a stipulated time.
- In the case of small Food business operators, only certification and registration are issued by the authority.
- FSSAI ensures the safety of the consumer and assures full compensation to the victim in case of harm or death.
You may apply for a new FSSAI License through the FSSAI online portal. Additionally, FSSAI License renewal can also be done online by submitting Form C. After filing the online application, and you need to submit a physical copy of the application, which is duly signed along with an original copy of fees paid to the FSSAI.
You can go to the website https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in/index.aspx and check it by filling in the application reference number.
The validity of the FSSAI License or FSSAI Registration is from 1 year to 5 years.
All FBOs are required to submit yearly return to FSSAI Department by 31st May of the following financial year. The FSSAI Annual Return requires filling the details in Form D-1 about the business activities such as manufactured quantity or Export or Import Value
An FBO cannot renew his License or Registration if it is not applied within 30 days from the expiry of license or registration. Once the license or registration is expired, the FBO has to apply afresh.
A Licensing Officer can reject the application in the case when the required information is not provided within the stipulated time of 30 days.
If the request for FSSAI license renewal is not made within the stipulated time, then a penalty of Rs. 100 for per day of delay will be charged on such defaulting person/ entity.
A Food Business Operators can be a-
- Importer, or
- Exporter etc.
FSSAI Stands for Food Safety and Standard Authority of India.
- Basic FSSAI Renewal License
- State FSSAI Renewal License
- Central FSSAI Renewal License