Headphones are now recommended to be covered under the CRS (Compulsory Registration Scheme) by the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeiTy). All the manufacturers & importers of Headphones are informed about the now notification recommended Government of India (MeiTy) get their products tested by the BIS authorised Laboratory and register the product by the BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards). BIS CRS Registration guarantee of quality, safety and reliability of the product. It’s granted from the BIS according to the specified Indian Standard after proper testing of the product by the BIS authorised Laboratory. All the models of Headphones & Earphones are now compulsory under the Indian Standard IS 616 (Part 7) and IS 15596 (Part 7) according to the new notification of the government of India (MeiTy). In this write-up, we will discuss the BIS CRS Registration for Headphones.
What is the Meaning of BIS?
The BIS is a National Standards body which regulates & promoting standards of products in India. The BIS has set up eight central, four regional, and three branch labs in India to test the product during the Preliminary & Surveillance operations. The BIS Registration for products, even voluntary, is encouraged by the Government of India for the following objectives:
- It provides quality assurance;
- It provides a safeguard to public health;
- It promotes customers’ confidence;
- It protects the customers from hazardous products.
What is the Meaning of CRS?
The compulsory Registration Scheme, also known as CRS, was introduced by the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeiTy) for IT & Electronics products. Presently there are 77 products listed under CRS Scheme. All the individuals or businesses manufacturing, importing, storing, or selling electronic products must apply for BIS CRS Registration. Anyone who is the manufacturer of headphones needs to apply for BIS CRS Registration for Headphones after getting the test report of a product by the BIS authorised lab.
- Revenue in the Headphones part amounts to US Doller 0.72bn in 2022. The headphones market is expected to grow annually by 3.42% (CAGR 2022-27).
- In relation to total population figures, person revenues of US Doller 0.51 are generated in 2022.
- In worldwide comparison, most revenue is generated in China (US Doller 3809.00m in 2022).
- In the Headphones segment, the volume is expected to amount to 123.9m pcs by 2027. The headphones part is expected to show a volume of 6.0% in 2023.
- The average volume of each person in the headphones segment is expected to be 0.1 in 2022.
Who can apply for BIS CRS Registration for Headphones?
- Any manufacturer (Indian or Foreign) willing to sell its products in the Indian market as notified in the scheme is eligible to apply for this Registration.
- Any existing manufacturer manufacturing its products from a different location is eligible to apply for this Registration.
- Any existing manufacturer who wants to sell its products under a different brand can apply for this Registration.
Required Documents for Testing of Product –
- Sample with the proper marking label (One sample for all lead models)
- Circuit Diagram
- List of Safety-Critical Components [Final list will be subject to physical verification of sample]
- Instruction & Service Manual
- Information of Transformer
- Business License (Copy of Original + English Translated
- Copy of Trade Mark Certificate (Skip it if you have given it for any previous model)
- If Series inclusion, then a Declaration letter from the manufacturer
Documents required to Obtain BIS CRS Registration for Headphones
Following are some essential documents that require to obtain BIS CRS Registration for Headphones in India:
- Business License of the manufacturing unit;
- Nomination Letter of AIR;
- Application form;
- In case the signatory person is other than the owner of the manufacturing facility, then submit the Authorisation Letter;
- Testing documents such as filled CCL & CDF;
- ISO Certificate of the manufacturer;
- Authorised Indian Representative and Affidavit (In case of Foreign Manufacturer);
- Test Report of products;
- Trademark Certificate;
- Trademark Authorisation Letter, in case the brand is not owned by the manufacturer;
- Product manual of the applied devices.
Process to Obtain BIS CRS Registration for Headphones
The procedure for obtaining BIS CRS Registration for Headphones is divided into two part are following:
- Process for Indian Manufacturers
Step 1: Submit the Application Form and all essential documents and pay the prescribed fee for Registration.
Step 2: Product sample testing by BIS authorised laboratory.
Step 3: Apply offline/online copy of the application, including the product sample test report.
Step 4: BIS officers and the Inspection team will verify the application and documents.
Step 5: grant the BIS CRS Registration Certificate.
- Process for International Manufacturers
Step 1: Nominate AIR which can represent foreign manufacturers.
Step 2: Submit an online application and all essential documents and pay the fee for the BIS CRS Registration.
Step 3: Get the product samples tested by the BIS authorised Laboratory.
Step 4: Apply offline or online copy of the application, including the product test report.
Step 5: BIS officers verify the application and documents.
Step 6: grant the BIS CRS Registration.
Procedure for Implementing Surveillance
Following are the process for Implementing Surveillance of products and factories:
- Collection of Surveillance cost;
- Packaging or Transportation and submission of the samples to BIS authorised labs;
- Refund (in case of cancellation of expiry of BIS CRS Registration);
- Revision of Surveillance Cost by BIS;
- Drawl of Product Sample;
- Final State of Surveillance;
- Disposal of Samples or Remnants.
Validity of BIS CRS Registration for Headphones
The BIS CRS Registration issued by the BIS is valid for two years. The manufacturer can renew the BIS CRS Registration when there is no change in the concerned products and prescribed Indian standards. The renewed BIS CRS certificate will be valid for one year to five years. The BIS CRS Registration certificate renewal is subject to an annual advance minimum marking fee & registration fee. However, if the BIS CRS certification renewal application is filed after the certificate expires, the applicant needs to pay a late fine of Rs.5000.
Despite being optional, enrolling in the BIS CRS certification offers several benefits in the market. Businesses can make more money due to the BIS CRS mark’s greater customer confidence. BIS certification is mandatory for products. Before releasing their products into the Indian market, all manufacturers of these electronic products must get BIS CRS Registration.
Read our Article:An Overview of BIS CRS Registration for Induction Stove in India