Beta Picolin serves as a primary ingredient to Vitamin B3 (Niacin), which is aggressively used in pharmaceutical applications such as to promote digestive functions, cure skin-related issues, and minimize the risk of cholesterol. On August 12, 2022, the Indian Government extended the enforcement date of the prevailing quality control order for Beta Picoline, Pyridine, Acetone, Gama Picoline, etc. The manufacturers now have additional time to secure a BIS license for their products. As soon as these orders come into effect, both local and overseas manufacturers of these products will only be able to sell/export in India with a BIS registration in place. Anyway, let’s dive into the legalities around BIS ISI Certification for Beta Picolin in detail and also find out what documentation is required for the same.
Key Benefits of BIS ISI Certification for Beta Picoline
Following are some common benefits of BIS ISI Certification for Beta Picoline:
- An ISI-marked product assures peace of mind for end-users as far as quality is concerned.
- An ISI-marked product minimizes product rejections, thereby stabilizing the revenue stream for the business.
- An ISI-marked product assures sustained service life and improved performance over generic counterparts.
- Most ISI-market products affirm guaranteed replacement if a product fails in any condition.
- ISI mark promotes standardization, safety, and reliability of the products
Mandatory Documents concerning BIS ISI Certification for Beta Picolin
Following are some documents required for BIS ISI Certification for Beta Picolin:
- Registration address of the production facility
- A copy of the business registration certificate
- Test report issued by the BIS-certified lab
- Details about the testing equipment
- Packaging details like the product size, quantity, storage facility, etc;
- Flow chart depicting the entire production process
- Proof of Indian Residency;
- Trademark registration copy, if available
- The disposing protocol of the waste product
- Detail concerning the staff serving the quality department
- Layout plan of the factory
- Raw material detail and the sourcing address
- All the details pertaining to the machines installed
- A copy of the certificate accorded by the governing institution;
- Detail about the chemical composition
- A copy of the company’s bank statement;
- Copy of water tax receipt or electricity bills
Procedure for obtaining BIS ISI Certification for Beta Picolin
The procedure for securing BIS ISI certification for Beta Picolin is given below. After securing the certification, the applicant will become eligible to affix the ISI mark on their product.
Step 1: Opt for Product Code
The first step in BIS ISI Certification for Beta Picolin is to choose product quality that meets the BIS norms. The applicant must locate and select the apt standard code for their product.
Step 2: Fill up the Application form
Once you select the apt product code, proceed to apply for ISI certification. For this, you need to fetch form-V from the BIS portal and fill it out with valid detail. Once done, submit the form along with the prescribed registration and testing fees.
Note: ISI registration is valid and applicable for only one product type. If you wish to register more than one product type, you must file a separate application.
Step 3: Vetting of the Production facility
The BIS officer and the vetting department will visit the production facility to make some legal checks. The vetting team will inspect every facet of the production process and equipment to determine conformity with the standards. During vetting, the inspector may randomly select some sample(s) from a production lot and send them to a certified lab for testing.
Step 4: Submit Sample Report
The applicant must secure the test report from the certified labs and share it with the BIS.
Step 5: Grant of ISI Certificate
Once the above formalities are served as required, the BIS grants the certificate of ISI mark registration. Generally speaking, the overall duration of this entire process will be around 30 days.
Moreover, the ISI certificate adheres to the validity of one year. Applicant can renew the same after the expiry. For renewal, the applicant is required to file a prescribed application attested by the practising CA.
What if the manufacturers misuse the ISI mark?
BIS proposed severe penalties for misconduct like product duplicacy and logo imitation. As per prevailing norms, anyone found guilty of aforesaid misconduct will have to pay a penalty of Rs. 50000/- and serve a jail term of one year. BIS has constituted an enforcement department to oversee the illicit uses of ISI marks.
ISI mark is a sign of quality, reliability, and trust which encourages users to make quick decisions. India is a vast marketplace where thousands of new products are introduced daily. This makes life difficult for the end-users as they do not have a reliable means to differentiate good products from their generic counterparts. This is where the ISI mark comes into play. Beta Picolin is used as a vital ingredient in various cosmetic and pharmaceutical products. As these products have a direct influence on public health, their manufacturers need to follow BIS norms and therefore secure the ISI mark.
Read Our Article:An Overview of BIS Certification for Chemicals