The railway is the most used & widest on land transportation passenger way in India. Indian railway is a 4th largest railway in the world. Around 23 million people use railway facilities per day. Most of them are tourists, employees, ordinary passengers, but only few of them carries food with them. Therefore the large number of food business operators require food license for Indian railways who are serving foods under the shed of railway premises, and it would be very useful to the passengers to get food easily between their journeys.
According to the Food Safety & Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), the provisions under the FSS (Licensing & Registration of Food Businesses) Regulation, 2011, the food catering services, restaurants and other food operators under Indian Railways premises are covered under FSSAI Central Licensing.
Who can apply for Food license for Indian Railways?
- Caterers– With a turnover of 12 lakhs per year or more than that
- Restaurants– With a turnover of 12 lakhs per year or more than that
- Clubs and Canteen– Turnover up to or more than 12 lakhs/year
- Dhabas and Boarding houses that serve food, banquet halls catering food items, permanent or temporary food stalls, home-based canteens, stalls that serve food at public gathering, fish and meat sellers, poultry with turnover of 12 lakhs or more than that.
What are the Required Documents for Food License for Indian Railways?
The documents to be submitted for a new application for a permit to Indian Railway Licensing Authority are as follows:
- Form-B duly completed & signed by the Proprietor or Partner or the Authorized person
- Blueprint of the processing unit demonstrating the measurements in meters or square meters and activity-wise region allotment (required for manufacturing and processing units)
- List of Executive associate with complete address and contact details
- Name and list of supplies and machinery alongside the number, capacity and horsepower utilised (obligatory for manufacturing and processing units).
- Photo ID and address confirmation issued by the Government specialist of Approved Signatory
- List of food items to be produced (In case of manufacturers)
- Authority letter with name and address of person, responsible as selected by the manufacturer. In addition, an alternative person and the person’s powers in helping the Officials with inspection, collection of samples, packing and dispatch.
- Analysis reports of water that will be utilised in preparing food from an acknowledged or public health lab to affirm the potability (obligatory for manufacturing and processing units only)
- Proofs of the premise (rent agreement/electricity bill/sale deed/etc.)
- Affidavit of the formation of the Store.
- NOC from the producer (compulsory for re-labellers and re-packers as it were)
- Food Safety Management System scheme or credential.
- Milk supply source and procurement plan for milk as well as the site of milk pool centres and in case of milk and milk products handling units whenever appropriate
- Source of raw materials for meat and meat processing units
- Pesticide residue reports of water in case of companies manufacturing packaged drinking water, mineral water or carbonated water from a recognized or public health research facility
- Recall plan, if needed.
- Certificate imparted by a department of Tourism (compulsory for hotels only)
- No Objection Certificate from the municipal district board
- Form IX proposal of persons by the organisation alongside the Board resolution
- For transporters, documents for turnover or self-declaration of the number of vehicles (If any).
What is FSSAI for Railway Catering Vendors?
All food vendors, including petty retailers, hawkers, temporary food stall owners and other small-scale food business operators whose annual turnover not exceeding Rs. 12 lakhs or whose production capacity of food does not exceed 100 kg/ltrs per day must require FSSAI registration. FSSAI license is also mandatory for catering services whose annual turnover exceeds Rs 12 lakhs.
Food Safety & Standards Authority of India lays down the hygiene and safety standards that ensure an availability of safe and quality food in the food business. It is one of the essential licenses out of all the licenses that are required to run a business successfully without getting tangled in legal hindrances. We at Corpbiz welcome an applicant who requires obtaining FSSAI license along with the other licenses if they want to operate a restaurant, cafe, hotel, etc.