FSSAI State License is granted to producers and food manufacturers having production limit as specified by the Food Safety and Standardization Authority of India (FSSAI). Also, importers, food truck operators, distributors, restaurants and other food businesses having the specified turnover and production limit need to obtain FSSAI State License.
What is FSSAI State License
The state license applies to all the units having an annual turnover of INR 12 Lakhs to INR 20 Lakhs that trade within India. The food business operator (FBO) should have a business in only one state to obtain this license. The state license is valid for a period of five years with a minimum validity of 1 year. Small and medium-sized manufacturer, distributor, retailer, marketers, etc. dealing in food relating business must obtain the FSSAI State License. The license is issued by a particular state government in which the business operates.
Significance of State FSSAI License
FSSAI License is important due to the following reasons:
- In case the food operators who are eligible to obtain an FSSAI license fails to do so can be penalized for the legal offence.
- FSSAI license is a onetime expense valid for one to five years depending upon the requirement of the business
- FSSAI license has to be obtained by every business operators who are related or engaged in the activities of manufacturing, retailing, transportation, or in any way dealing with food products.
- Issue of license or registration certificate is governed and regulated by the provisions of Food Safety and Standards Regulations 2011
- FSSAI license or registration requirement varies as per the type and nature of the food business.
Read our article:A Full Guide on How to set up a Food Business in India
Other types of FSSAI Licenses
Food Licenses in India is divided into three types. It is based on the turnover of the business, and the type of business carried on.
Let us look at the types of food licenses in India in detail;
FSSAI Registration or Basic Registration
Small-sized food business operators like manufacturers, transporters, storage units, marketers, retailers, distributor, etc. need to acquire a Basic FSSAI Registration which is granted by the respective State Government. All FBOs, having an annual turnover of less than Rs. 12 lakh are qualified to obtain the Basic FSSAI Registration.
State FSSAI License
Food business operators (FBOs), having an annual turnover of exceeding Rs. 12 lakh, such as small to medium-sized transporters, manufacturers, storage units, retailers, distributors, marketers, etc. are required to obtain the State FSSAI License. It is granted by the concerning State Government having a minimum validity of one year and a maximum of 5 years.
Central FSSAI License
FBOs are having a turnover exceeding Rs. Twenty crores, for example, large manufacturers, export-oriented units, importers, operators in the Central Government agencies, airports, seaports, etc. are enforced to obtain a Central FSSAI License issued by the Central Government. Also, the food business operators are advised to obtain the Central License for their head office, if they are operational in more than one state.
Benefits of FSSAI License
The Food Business Operators know that the FSSAI License signifies an imperative legal objective. The advantages of an FSSAI License are given below:
- Customers Trust – A genuine communication is essential to gain the trust of customer. It will carry out better service and keep the consumers away from the adulterated and unhealthy food supply.
- Legal Advantages- FSSAI registration will improve the chance of legal enforcement and manage the department and thus it will encourage the establishment of several things in a particular area.
- Government Funding and Loans- The FSSAI registration offers the advantages of Loans and Government Funding that can be beneficial for the business operators
- Use of FSSAI Logo- The use of FSSAI logo will create trustworthiness and goodwill amongst the consumers.
- Brand Value- The Company shall acquire Brand Value after it is FSSAI registered.
- Business Expansion- The FSSAI license will give the privilege of expansion of business at any geographic location.
- Recognition of the Government- The FSSAI Registration is recognized by the Government of India which results in the customer trust and enormous base of customers.
- Government actions on non-compliance– In case of any non-compliance issue, the government shall take action and help the company.
Eligibility criteria for FSSAI State License
The FSSAI State License has to be obtained by the following food business operators (FBOs) having turnover more than Rs. 12 Lakhs to Rs. 20 Crore:
- Proprietary Foods
- Units processing Meat Processing
- Slaughtering Units
- Dairy Units, including Chilling Milk Units.
- Food Processing Units including repackers and retailers
- Vegetable Oil Processing plants and units producing vegetable oil by the process of solvent extraction and refineries, including Oil Expeller plants
Documents Required for State FSSAI License
The documents required for fssai state license are as follows;
- Form-B completely filled and signed by the Proprietor
- Proof of possession of the premises
- Blueprint of the area location
- Proprietorship’s partnership affidavit
- List of details of equipment and machinery used
- Contact information of the Directors of the company
- The NOC and Copy of License from the maker
- List of food items that have to be manufactured
- Food Safety Management System Plan Certificate
- Photo ID and Address Proof of Proprietor granted by the Indian Government. In the case of a company, Director’s photo ID and address proof need to be submitted
- An Authority letter with address and name of the concerned person
The steps to obtain the FSSAI State License
- Provide Form A to the food and safety department along with fssai state license documents
- Department may approve or reject the application within seven days from the receipt of the application
- Furthermore, the registration certificate is granted on the acceptance of application along with the registration number mentioned on it
Read our article:How To Obtain FSSAI License Renewal Online in India?
FSSAI State License Renewal and Validity in India
An FSSAI Food License is valid for a period that ranges from a minimum one year and to a maximum of five years.
Moreover, an FSSAI state license renewal is done 30 days before its expiry. You may use Form A or Form B, whichever is applicable based on the type of food license. Also, every Food Business Operator whose license or registration has expired is liable for a penalty of Rs. 100 per day.
Food Business Operators need to obtain FSSAI State License if their turnover is more than Rs. Twelve lakhs and up to Rs. 20 Crore per annum. Also, there are various criterions based on the size of the food business or the number of products they are producing. Therefore, you need to carefully check your eligibility to obtain this license on the official FSSAI portal.
Read our article:How to Obtain an FSSAI License in India: Full Guide