Hard Drive is a portable electromechanical data storage device used for stare computer data. On o1 April 2021, the Bureau of Indian Standards, also known as BIS, required the USB Type External Hard Drive to be registered according to IS 13252(Part 1): 2010 under the Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) by BIS. Hard drive manufacturers need to follow the guidelines mentioned in the Indian Standard, and in case of violations, it will be a punishable offence. BIS assurance of any product’s quality, safety and reliability to the customers. The BIS is involved in many activities such as certification of goods, standards formulation, calibration scheme, testing of products, etc. the Government of India has made it Compulsory for specific products to consider customers’ health. The Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) notified the CRS (Compulsory Registration Scheme) in 2021. It passed Electronics & Information Technology Goods (Requirement for Compulsory Registration) order, 2012, for fifteen categories of electronics products. However, more electronic & information technology products are added under the CRS subsequently. This write-up will discuss how to obtain BIS CRS Registration for Hard Drive.
What is a Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) under BIS?
The Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) was firstly introduced by the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) for Electronics & IT items. Currently, there are 79 products under CRS Scheme. All the individual & businesses who are manufacturing, importing, and storing for sale of electronics products under the product list needs to apply for BIS CRS Registration. Anyone who manufactures electronics products needs to apply for this registration after getting their product tested by BIS authorised Laboratory. BIS registers manufacturing under the BIS CRS Registration Scheme who is allowed to declare that their products conform to the Indian standards. Once the product is successfully registered, they are permitted to use the CRS Mark as informed through the BIS CRS Registration allotted to the applicants.
Market for Hard drives in India
In 2021-2025, the external hard drive market is estimated to reach USD 2.70 billion, with a CAGR of 5.87%. This research study aids in gaining a thorough grasp of the underlying drives that drive market growth, as well as potential and present target customers across segments. As per the comprehensive survey, factors like the numerous benefits of external hard drives are expected to support market expansion during the projection period considerably. Analysts have extensively assessed and examined the most recent trends & issues that will have a significant impact on market growth.
Basic Requisite of BIS CRS Registration for Hard Drive
Following are the four requisites on which BIS Registration depends; without these, no one can apply for BIS CRS Certification. To obtain BIS CRS Registration for Hard Drive, an applicant need to fulfil the following requirements:
- Manufacturer: The first important thing is that Indian BIS Certification is granted to manufacturers only, not sellers or importers. An importer may act Authorised Indian Representative (AIR) of a foreign manufacturer and can apply to BIS. But a final license is only granted to the manufacturer.
- Product: In case a manufacturer is manufacturing more than one electronics product, then the manufacturer has to apply a separate registration application for all product categories. For example, a manufacturer who is manufacturing laptops and adapters has to apply two separate applications with BIS.
- Manufacturing Address: Proper manufacturing address shall be mentioned in the documents. If the manufacturer has more than one factory address for one product, then separate BIS Registration is required for each address.
- Trademark/ Brand: All trademark or brand needs their own BIS Registration.
Documents Required to Obtain BIS CRS Registration for Hard Drive
Following are some vital documents necessary for obtaining BIS CRS Registration for Hard Drive in India:
- Filled CDF or CCL form
- Business License of manufacturing unit (English Translation + Local Language)
- Duly filled BIS application form-I
- The scope of Business License (English Translation + Local Language)
- Marking Label/ Details of Marking on the product
- Authorisation letter (In case of the signatory person is other than the owner of the manufacturing)
- ISO Certificate of the manufacturer
- An affidavit cum undertaking
- Trademark Certificate
- Trademark Authorization Letter (In case of TM is owned by other than the manufacturer)
- ID proof of authorised Indian Representative/ Authorized Signatory
- Letter of the nomination of Authorised Indian Representative
- Authorised Indian Representative (AIR) Company Registration proof in India (in case of the foreign manufacturer)
- Technical Specification Sheet of Product or user manual
Process for Obtaining a BIS CRS Registration for Hard Drive
Following is the process required for obtaining a BIS CRS Registration for Hard Drive in India:
- Process for Indian (Domestic) Manufacturer
Step 1: Submit the online application form, submit all the essential documents, and pay the registration and testing fees.
Step 2: Then need to submit the test report of product samples by the BIS authorised Laboratory.
Step 3: Submit a copy of the application form, including a test report of product samples.
Step 4: The BIS Official & Inspection team will verify the application form, all the essential documents, and the product test report.
Step 5: Issuance of Certificate for BIS CRS Registration for Hard Drive.
- Process for Foreign Manufacturer
Step 1: Nominate AIR (Authorised Indian Representative), who can represent foreign or overseas manufacturers.
Step 2: Submit an online application form and submit all the essential documents and test reports of product samples.
Step 3: Submit a hard copy of the application and the test report of product samples.
Step4: BIS Official & Inspection team verify the application form and all the submitted documents and test report of product samples.
Step 5: Issuance of Certificate for BIS CRS Registration for Hard Drive.
Note: BIS CRS Registration for Hard Drive is valid for two years, and the registration can be further renewed if there is no change in product and standards.
Guidelines for the Nomination of AIR (Authorized Indian Representative)
It is compulsory for the foreign (overseas) manufacturer to nominate AIR (Authorized Indian Representative) for its operations in India to obtain BIS Registration Certificate. If they do not have a branch office in India. An authorised Indian Representative as a local representative is accountable for submitting and managing the application form for BIS Certification and is available to answer the questions. Following are some vital guidelines to be followed by the foreign (overseas) manufacturers to nominate AIR:
- Clause 1: In case the foreign (oversea) manufacturer has a liaison office or a branch office in India, they will be designated as AIR.
- Clause 2: If the foreign manufacturer doesn’t have a liaison office or a branch office in India, but the proprietor/registered user of the trademark or brand appearing on the product is located in India, the owner of the trademark or brand will become AIR.
- Clause 3: In case the manufacturer doesn’t have a liaison office located in India, and there is no proprietor or registered user of the trademark or brand appearing on the product located in India, then the other entity will become the AIR.
Obtaining a BIS CRS Registration for Hard Drive is not as seamless as it seems, considering that it includes proper knowledge of the registration procedure. It is compulsory for all manufacturers who want to sell their electronics products in the Indian market.
Read our Article:How to Obtain BIS CRS Registration for UPS and Inverter in India?