Telephone Answering Machines are used for answering telephones & recording callers’ messages. If a phone rings a number of times by the owner of the phone and nobody is present to answer the incoming call, then the Telephone Answering Machine will activate & play either a generic announcement or the voice of the individual being called announcing that nobody is able to come to pick the call at the moment. Its primary function is to record the call and answer the calls or messages without a collector. You can erase, edit, stop, play, or skip the message as per necessity; for this, it includes tape to collect the messages. The BIS or Bureau of Indian Standards has required Telephone Answering Machines to be registered as per IS 13252(Part-1): 2010 under CRS (Compulsory Registration Scheme) from BIS. So, it is compulsory for Indian as well as Foreign Manufacturers to get BIS CRS Certification for Telephone Answering Machines. Without BIS CRS Certification for Telephone Answering Machines, no manufacturer can import/export, manufacture, store or sell them.
Importance of BIS Certification Under the CRS of MeitY
All the products that are sold in the Indian Market should meet a specific standard of quality. They should be safe for usage & should have optimal value so that people do not feel like they have not gotten enough ROI. Moreover, India is moving quickly towards digitisation, and the Information Technology (IT) tools available should be of the good quality. That makes it vital for every electronic product or item to be part of the BIS CRS List & get the BIS CRS Certification. This is the only way Government is going to consider product or item to be fit for consumption in the Indian Market.
Eligibility Criteria for BIS CRS Certification for Telephone Answering Machines
The following are the eligibility criteria for BIS CRS Certification for Telephone Answering Machines:
- Manufacturers of Telephone Answering Machines can apply for BIS Certification for Telephone Answering Machines;
- Manufacturers are required to apply for different BIS CRS numbers of their products are being manufactured at different locations;
- For multiple brands multiple registrations are required, even when they are being produced at a single factory.
Essentials for BIS CRS Certification for Telephone Answering Machines
Following are some important points on which BIS Certification depends; without these, no applicant can apply for BIS Certification in India. In order to get BIS Certification, the Manufacturer or the applicant must fulfil the following points:
- Manufacturer: In India, BIS Certificate is issued to the Manufacturer only; Importers or Sellers are not eligible for this Certification. However, the Importer may act as an AIR or Authorised Indian Representative of a Foreign Manufacturer and can submit the Application to the Bureau of Indian Standards, but the final BIS License is only granted to the Manufacturer.
- Product: If Manufacturer is manufacturing more than one product or item, then he or she must apply a separate license application for each product category.
- Brand or Trademark: A Manufacturer who is manufacturing same product or item for more than one Brand or Trademark has to apply for a separate BIS License. For instance, if a Manufacturer is manufacturing Telephone Answering Machines for brands A & B must apply for 2 separate licenses with the BIS.
- Manufacturing Address: Correct manufacturing address shall be mentioned in the documents. If the Manufacturer of the product has more than one factory location for one product, then a separate BIS License is required for each factory location.
Guidelines to be followed by Foreign Manufacturers to Appoint AIR
It is compulsory for foreign applicants to nominate AIR for its operations in India to obtain BIS Certificate. Following instructions should be followed by the Foreign Manufacturers to appoint the AIR:
- If the Foreign Manufacturer doesn’t have a branch office or a liaison office in India, but the registered user of the Trademark/Brand or the proprietor appearing on the product or article is located in India, the Trademark/Brand owner will become Authorised Indian Representative;
- If the Foreign Manufacturer has a liaison office or a branch office located in India, then they will be designated as AIR;
- In case the Manufacturer doesn’t have a branch office or a liaison office located in India & there is no proprietor or registered user of Trademark or Brand appearing on the article located in India, then other entity or company will become AIR.
Documents Required for BIS CRS Certification for Telephone Answering Machines
Following are some important documents required for BIS CRS Certification for Telephone Answering Machines in India:
- Business License of Manufacturing Unit;
- Trademark Registration Certificate;
- Completely filled CDF or CCL Form;
- Duly-filled BIS application form;
- Photo ID of AIR or Authorised Signatory;
- Technical Specification sheet of product or user manual;
- Authorisation Letter (if the Signatory Person is other than manufacturing head);
- Trademark Authorisation Letter (If Trademark is owned by other than Manufacturer);
- AIR Company Registration proof in India (in case of Foreign Manufacturer);
- Marking details on the product or Marking Label;
- The scope of the Business License;
- ISO Certificate of the Manufacturer.
Procedure for Obtaining BIS CRS Certification for Telephone Answering Machines
Following is the step-by-step procedure for getting BIS CRS Certification for Telephone Answering Machines:
- Process for Domestic (Indian) Manufacturer:
Step 1: First, the Manufacturer needs to file an online application and submit it to the BIS along with the vital documents.
Step 2: After filing the Application, the Manufacturer needs to test the product sample from the BIS-recognised laboratory.
Step 3: After getting the product sample test report, submit it to the BIS.
Step 4: In this step, the BIS officials will verify the Application, documents, and sample test report.
Step 5: Once the BIS Official is satisfied with the Application, documents, and sample test report, then the BIS will issue the BIS CRS Certification to the Manufacturer.
- Process for Foreign Manufacturer:
Step 1: First, the applicant must appoint an Authorised Indian Representative who can represent Foreign Manufacturer.
Step 2: After that, an AIR will fill out the online Application at the official website of BIS.
Step 3: Then, the applicant needs to test the product sample from the BIS-recognised laboratory.
Step 4: After taking the sample test report, submit it to the BIS.
Step 5: Then, BIS Officials verify the Application, documents, and sample test report.
Step 6: Once satisfied, the BIS will issue the BIS CRS Certification.
Important Points to be considered to get BIS Certificate in India
The following are some vital points that should be considered to get BIS Certificate in India:
- All the important documents should be signed by brand owner, Indian Authorised Representative, and Manufacturer & additional documents should be stamped & notarised by Indian Representative & Brand Owner;
- Sample Test Report is valid for 3 months before its expiry Test Report of a product sample should be submitted to the Bureau of Standards. In case, if you are able to submit the test report to the Bureau of Indian Standards, then you have to submit the new sample again for testing;
- Select BIS certified testing lab and a professional compliance partner until you have the expertise and/or office in India that can help you;
- In CDF or Construction Data Form, product details shall be filled correctly & in CCL or Critical Component List, product components details should be filed in a detail & accurate way;
- Before shipment or samples, ensure complete arrangements have been made for complete shipment from your location to the testing lab’s door.
In this vibrant marketplace, it is really hard to cope with the strong competition without being distinctive & standing out. Adhering to quality standards is one way to overcome the competition. The Quality Standard underpinned by the Bureau of Indian Standards has global recognition & serves as an indicator of reliability & quality. The Bureau of Indian Standards is an apex Government institution that formulates & gets product standards while considering public safety.
Read Our Article:Advantages and Disadvantages of BIS Registration