Often known as strip lights of LED tape, a LED Lighting Chain is a flexible circuit board that is populated by Surface Mounted LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) and other components. LED Lighting Chains generally come with an adhesive backing. While traditionally used as backlighting or decoration, increased luminous efficacy and higher-power SMDs have broadened the horizons for the use of LED. Some newer applications to have emerged in recent times include- high brightness task lighting, set and costume design, indirect lighting applications, fluorescent and halogen lighting fixture replacements, ultraviolet (UV) inspection during manufacturing processes, and even growing plants. Since the start of 2021, Neon Flex, another form of LED Lighting, has begun to replace neon lighting for signage. The BIS released a notification stating the requirement of Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) for the said product category under Scheme II. Any manufacturer that wants to manufacture a LED Lightning Chain has to obtain BIS CRS Certification for LED Lighting Chains. Without BIS CRS Certification for LED Lighting Chains, no manufacturer can sell or trade its LED Lighting Chains in India. Scroll down to check more information regarding BIS CRS Certification for LED Lighting Chains.
Introduction to the BIS CRS
The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), which was established by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) Act, 2016, functions as the National Standards Body of India (NSBI) under the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA), Ministry of Consumer Affairs (MCA), Food & Public Distribution, Government of India. Formerly known as the Indian Standards Institution (ISI), the BIS was set up under the Resolution of the Department of Industries & Supplies. Coming into effect in 2017, the new Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) Act 2016 establishes the BIS as the National Standards Body of India. The BIS is responsible for developing & publishing Indian Standards, implementing Conformity Assessment Schemes, recognising and running laboratories for- Conformity Assessment, Implement Hallmarking, Working for Consumer empowerment, conducting capacity-building programs on quality assurance and representing the country in ISO & IEC.
Per orders, the manufacture or storage for sale, import, or distribution of goods or products which do not conform to the Indian Standard (IS) that has been specified in the order and which do not bear the Standard Mark consisting of the unique registration number that is obtained from the BIS is not allowed. The Bureau of Indian Standards grants a licence to the manufacturers to use or apply the Standard Mark with a unique R-number, via registration based on self-declaration of conformity for goods & articles as per IS (Indian Standards). The grant of Registration Licence and its operation under the Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) is carried out as per the Conformity Assessment Scheme (CAS) under Scheme – II of Schedule – II of BIS (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, 2018. LED Lighting Chains have fallen under these regulations since May, 2018. As such, it is essential for any manufacturer of LED Lighting Chains across the globe to obtain the BIS CRS in order to sell and manufacture LED Lighting Chains in India.
Who can apply for BIS CRS Certification for LED Lighting Chains?
Registration for BIS CRS Certification for LED Lighting Chains is essential under the scheme. Both Indian and Foreign manufacturers must apply for registration in order to sell or import LED Lighting Chains, respectively. Manufacturers of any product which comes under the scope of the Compulsory Registration Order (CRO) notified by the MeitY & Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) can apply for the BIS Compulsory Registration Scheme.
To obtain a BIS CRS Certification for LED Lighting Chains, the Manufacturer must have essential manufacturing infrastructure, appropriate process controls, quality control & testing capabilities for the product as per IS or Indian Standard Specification (ISS). The product must also conform to all necessities laid down in the ISS.
Checklist of Documents for BIS CRS Certification for LED Lighting Chains
Following is the list of all the crucial documents required for BIS CRS Certification for LED Lighting Chains:
- Copy of acknowledgement received from portal or screenshot of the online file submission
- Address Proof
- Business License
- Other Documents issued by Govt
- Demand Draft with a photocopy of DD
- Online generated copy of Form VI, duly signed and sealed
- Brand name. For registered brands- registration certificate; if owned by others, authorisation letter/agreement from the brand owner. For Un-registered brands- a copy of TM application, if applied for; if owned by others, authorisation letter/agreement from the proprietor of the brand.
- Undertaking- for Test report; for IS 13252 (Part 1) amendment 2, if applicable; for IS 16046, Changeover to 2015 version, if applicable.
- For Authorised Indian Representative & Affidavit (Foreign Manufacturer)- Nomination Form sealed and signed
- For Authorised Indian Representative & Affidavit (Indian Manufacturer)- Affidavit as per Format C; If Affidavit signed by Authorised signatory, authorisation letter from the CEO(Authorised signatory to be an employee of the company); Copy of ID Proof of the person signing the Affidavit
- Test Report
Note: (BIS may ask for additional documents if deemed necessary.)
Procedure for BIS CRS Certification for LED Lighting Chains
Following is the procedure for BIS CRS Certification for LED Lighting Chains:
- The Procedure for BIS CRS Certification for LED Lighting Chains starts with online applications sent in through the online portal on the BIS website.
- Original copies of the test reports, issued from labs recognised by BIS under CRS, need to be submitted with the application.
- For foreign applicants, those having no liaison office/branch office located in India must appoint Authorized Indian Representative (AIR), in accordance with the guidelines issued by Bureau of Indian Standards in the prescribed nomination form.
- The application form for the Rgeistration needs to be filled out online and all documents mentioned in the above checklist need to be submitted along with the online form. Hard copies of the application also need to be submitted within 15 days of the online application.
The use of LED Lighting Chains has significantly increased in recent years, making them a profitable product for manufacturers, importers, and sellers alike. BIS CRS registration for Lighting Chains is essential in order to manufacture, store, sell or import Lighting Chains in India. Manufacturers and importers alike must apply for registration online and be able to meet all requisites in order to obtain a BIS CRS Certification for LED Lighting Chains.
Read Our Article:An Overview of BIS for LED Lights