The Indian Performing Right Society Limited License, which is also known as the IPRS License, is mandatorily needed if one requires to utilise copyrighted music in a public gathering or any large area. The Indian Performing Right Society Limited collects Music Royalties from Event Managers on behalf of the members of the Indian Performing Right Society, who can be Music Lyricists, Music Composers, Music Singers, and Music Publishers. The collected Music Royalties are distributed between the applicable members after the deduction of the applicable Administration Costs.
The Indian Performing Right Society Limited is registered in accordance with Section 33 of the Copyright Act, 1957 for the purpose of issuance of Licenses for the utilisation of Musical Works and other Literary Works.
Section 33 of the Copyright Act, 1947 clearly states that for the purpose of any business in relation to the issuance or grant of licenses is to be authorised by the Registered Copyright Society, which is the Indian Performing Right Society Limited and the Public Performance License.
Brief of IPRS License
The Indian Performing Right Society Limited License guarantees that the Copyrighted Music being utilised by Music Users is utilised legitimately, and for the purpose of providing the members of the Indian Performing Right Society by providing the applicable Music Royalties for every time the Musical Work is utilised who can be Music Lyricists, Music Composers, Music Publishers, and Music Singers. The Licensing Policy and Administration Structure of Indian Performing Right Society Limited is authorised under Governing Council of Directors that is elected upon the selection by the Members of the Society. The Council appointed always consists of equal members of the Music Lyricists and Music Publishers. The Indian Performing Right Society also equally represents Music Composers and Music Authors from all regions across India.
The Tariff of IPRS License for Events
The Tariff of IPRS License for Events is applicable for Public Music Performances in events which can either be Live Performances or Recorded Music Performances held in any venue or premises. The Tariff is applicable in accordance with the terms and conditions that are set as per the requirement of the License. The Tariff fee will vary in accordance with the location of where the Music Performance is held.
The tariff applied on the IPRS License for Events is to be determined on the basis of –
- The Location of the Event
- The Duration of the Musical Works being utilised
- The Total number of Musical Works being utilised
- The Capacity of the number of audiences that can be fit in the Venue of the event being held
- The purpose of the event being held / the business type of the event
Documents Needed for IPRS License for Events
The following documents mentioned below are needed for the issuance of the IPRS License for Events –
- Details of the Applicant, such as the Name, Address, and the Nationality
- Details in accordance with the purpose of the business being applied for
- The Detailed List in regard to the list of all the Musical Works being utilised in the Event
- If the Company hosting the Event is an LLP, then it is mandatory that they submit a copy of the Certification of Incorporation
- The PAN Card of the Applicant for Identification Proof Purposes
- Copy of Certification of GST Registration
- A Copy of Address Proof that can be submitted by providing the Electricity Bill, Driver’s License, Voter ID Card, Aadhaar Card, etc.
Application Procedure of IPRS License for Events
The following procedure mentioned below are needed to be followed in the application procedure for the issuance of the IPRS License for Events –
- The Applicant firstly needs to select the type of music license being applied for, in our case, the IPRS License for Events.
- A profile for the Applicant is to be created upon submission of the needed documents along with the duly filled application.
- The applicant will be receiving a verification via SMS upon submission of the applicant’s e–mail ID, User ID, and other credentials provided by the IPRS.
- The application is to be deemed completed upon payment of the required fees as declared by the IPRS with the consultation of the Government of India.
- Upon the successful evaluation of all the documentation., the IPRS License for Events is issued.
It is mandatory, as declared by the Government of India, for obtaining an IPRS License for Events as they are to be utilised for commercial purposes, which can either be Live Performances or Recorded Music Performances held in any venue or premises. The premises of the event can be of any location where the performance is to be held, such as Clubs, Concert Halls, Hotels, etc.
Read our Article:How to obtain IPRS License in Mumbai?