There was a time when basic games were played. Now times have changed; in electronic video games, an interactive system is created with which multiple players can play. The gaming industry is a global leader in digital interactive entertainment. Playing electronic video games is one of the finest methods to develop your hand-eye coordination, problem-solving abilities, and mental capacity. However, playing video games excessively can be detrimental. In July 2013, under Scheme II Schedule II, an electronic video game came under the BIS CRS. Nowadays, every age group, especially kids. By taking this into consideration, the Indian Government and BIS made it mandatory to register video games as per IS 616:2017. In this blog, we will discuss BIS Certification for Electronic Video Games.
What is BIS CRS?
BIS CRS stands for Bureau of Indian Standards Compulsory Registration Scheme. The Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) released a notification. The notification stated that the group of electronic products should be categorized under the CRS. So, the manufacturer cannot sell the products enlisted in the notification without proper BIS CRS Certification. When MeitY released the notification for BIS CRS Certification in 2012, it only contained 15 product categories of electronic devices. In the year 2014, an additional 15 more product categories were added through MeitY. In the year 2016, made Indian languages compulsory in smartphones, and 13 more product categories were added. In 2017, to foster New & Renewable energy, five additional product categories were added vide solar panels, systems, devices and components goods (Requirements for Compulsory Registration) order 2017. According to the BIS CRS Certification Scheme order, no manufacturer shall be allowed to import, sell, or distribute electronic products that are not up to mark for Indian standards. All electronic products need to have a CRS mark and unique registration number.
Essential Factors for BIS Certification for Electronic Video Games
Here are the four factors on which BIS License depends; without these, no one can apply for Indian BIS Certification for Electronic Video games. To obtain BIS Certification, an applicant needs to fulfil the following requirements:
- Product: If a manufacturer manufactures more than one product, then two separate BIS certifications must be obtained for every product. For example, manufacturers manufacturing electronic video games and remotes must file two different certification applications with BIS.
- Manufacturer: The BIS Certification is only issued to the device manufacturer. The importers, traders or retailers do not apply for the BIS registration certificate. However, they can act as an Indian Authorised Representative (AIR) of a manufacturer in India if the manufacturer does not have their managing office in India. However, the BIS license is only issued in the manufacturer’s name.
- Manufacturing Address: The application & supporting documents shall mention a proper manufacturing unit. If a manufacturer has more manufacturing units for a product, then separate BIS Certification is required for every manufacturing unit.
- Trademark/Brand: A manufacturer manufacturing the same product for more than one brand has to apply for a separate BIS license with BIS. For example, manufacturers manufacturing electronic video games for brands A & B must apply for two separate BIS Licenses with authority.
Documents Required to Obtain BIS Certification for Electronic Video Games
Following are some vital documents required to obtain BIS Certification for Electronic Video Games:
- Business License of the manufacturing premises;
- ISO Certificate of the manufacturer;
- Trademark Certificate;
- Nomination Letter of Authorized Indian Representative (AIR) in case of the foreign manufacturer;
- Technical Specification sheet or product manual of the applied electronic product;
- Scope of the Business License;
- Latter of authorization in case of signatory person is other than the head of the manufacturing facility;
- The manufacturer does not own a letter of Trademark authorization in case of a brand;
- Testing documents (Filled CCL & CDF).
Procedure to Obtain BIS Certification for Electronic Video Games
The procedure for BIS Certification for Electronic Video Games also vary on the geographic address of manufacturing premises; the BIS Certification procedure for domestic is different from the process for Foreign manufacturer:
Process for Indian (Domestic) Manufacturer
Step 1: Submit the online application form for BIS Certification;
Step 2: Product sample testing is done through the BIS-approved laboratory;
Step3: Submit an online or offline hardcopy of the application along with the required vital documents and pay the prescribed fees of the Certification;
Step 4: BIS authorized officers verify the application form and test report of the product samples;
Step 5: Grant of BIS Certification.
Process for Foreign Manufacturer
Step 1: First, you need to appoint Authorised Indian Representative (AIR) who can represent the foreign manufacturer in India;
Step 2: Submit the online application form for BIS Certification;
Step 3: Get product sample testing done through the BIS-approved laboratory;
Step 4: Submit an online or offline hardcopy of the application form along with the required vital document and pay the prescribed fees of the Certification;
Step 5: BIS authorized officers verify the application form and test report of the product samples;
Step 6: Grant of BIS Certification.
Guidelines for the Nomination of AIR (Authorised Indian Representative)
Foreign (Overseas) applicants must nominate Authorised Indian Representative for their operations in India to obtain BIS Certificate if they don’t have a branch office in India. As a local authorized representative, AIR is responsible for submitting and managing the BIS Certification application process and is available to answer the questions. Following are the guidelines to be followed by the foreign manufacturer to nominate the AIR:
- Clause 1: In case a foreign manufacturer has a branch office or liaison office in India, but the proprietor or registered user of the trademark/brand appearing on the product is located in India, the owner of the trademark/brand will become AIR.
- Clause 2: If a foreign manufacturer doesn’t have a branch office or liaison office in India, but the proprietor or registered user of the trademark/brand appearing on the devices is located in India, the owner of the trademark/brand will become AIR.
- Clause 3: In case the manufacturer doesn’t have a liaison office located in India, and there is no registered user or proprietor of the trademark/brand appearing on the product located in India. Then the other entity will become the AIR.
The BIS released an official notification stating the requirement of compulsory registration for the said product under Scheme II. Any manufacturer around the globe, including India, that wishes to manufacture electronic video games has to be registered with the CRS under BIS. Without a valid BIS Certification, no manufacturer can trade or sell its devices in the Indian market.
Read our Article:How to Obtain BIS Certification for Wireless Headphones & Earphones in India?