The headphones you’re picturing weren’t invented until the 1880s; they were much heavier and had less to do with music. These resemble phones more. The first Bluetooth stereo headphone was developed in 2004. Today, many individuals use wireless headphones or earphones to listen to music, watch movies, and take phone calls. Whether you go running, commute to work or school, or want to enjoy the best sound without any background noise, you will undoubtedly benefit from using headphones. The Wireless Headphones and Earphones must be registered with the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) as per IS 616: 2017 as part of the Compulsory Registration Scheme. The main reason for protecting wireless headphones and earbuds is to protect people’s health because they can harm their sense of hearing. This blog will discuss BIS Certification for Wireless Headphones & Earphones.
Essential Requisite for BIS Certification for Wireless Headphones & Earphones
Following are four essential requisites that each applicant must adhere to before applying for BIS Certification for Wireless Headphones & Earphones:
- Product Category: If a manufacturer manufactures more than one product, then two different BIS Certifications must be obtained for each product. For example, manufacturers manufacturing chargers & smartphones must file two different Certification applications with BIS.
- Trademark or Brand: The manufacturers manufacturing the same products for more than one brand or company has to apply for a different BIS Certification with BIS. For example, in case the manufacturer manufactures headphones for brands A & B, they must apply for two different BIS Licenses with the department.
- Manufacturer: The BIS Certification is only granted to the product manufacturers. The importers/retailers/traders are not eligible for the BIS Certificate. However, they can act as an AIR (Authorised Indian Representative) of a manufacturer in India if the manufacturer doesn’t have a managing office in India. However, the BIS license is issued in the name of manufacturers only.
- Manufacturing Address: The application & supporting vital documents shall mention a proper manufacturing premises location. In case manufacturers have more than one manufacturing premises for a product, then different BIS Certification is required for each manufacturing premises.
Documents Required for BIS Certification for Wireless Headphones & Earphones
Following are vital documents required to obtain BIS Certification for Wireless Headphones & Earphones in India:
- Filled out CCL/CDF form;
- Business License of manufacturing premises;
- ISO Certificate of the manufacturing;
- Letter of Authorisation (if the signatory person is other from the owner of the manufacturing premises);
- Letter of Trademark Authorization (if the Trademark is owned by an entity other than the manufacturer);
- Photo ID of Authorized Signatory/Authorized Indian Representative;
- Duly filled BIS Application form;
- Trademark Certificate;
- Marking Label or details of marking on the product;
- Business License or Certificate of Incorporation;
- Technical Specification sheet of user/product manual.
- Authorised Indian Representative Company registration proof in India (in case of a foreign manufacturer);
Process to Obtain BIS Certification for Wireless Headphones & Earphones
The process of obtaining BIS Certification for wireless headphones & earphones varies based on the geographical location of the manufacturing unit. Further, the BIS Certification process for Indian (Domestic) varies from that for a foreign (overseas) manufacturer. The main steps involved in obtaining BIS for wireless headphones & earphones include:
Procedure for Domestic Manufacturer
Step 1: Submit the application form on BIS online portal.
Step 2: Get the product samples testing done by BIS authorised laboratory.
Step 3: Submit an offline/online copy of the application form and the test report.
Step 4: BIS officers verify the Application & required documents.
Step 5: Grant of BIS Certification
BIS Certification Process for Foreign (oversea) Manufacturers
Step 1: Nominate Authorised Indian Representative who can represent a foreign manufacturer.
Step 2: Submit the application form and all required documents.
Step 3: Get the product tested through BIS-authorised labs.
Step 4: Submit the offline/online copy of the application, including the product test report.
Step 5: BIS officers verify the application form and all vital documents.
Step 6: Grant of BIS Certification
Other Points Related to BIS Certification for Wireless Headphones & Earphones
- Hire a BIS-authorised testing laboratory and an experienced compliance partner to get complete guidance regarding the process for BIS certification for wireless headphones & Earphones.
- Ensure that the lab testing the product samples has a valid licence and is not suspended. Further, the lab must not be in the middle or about to get audited.
- Before shipment of samples, make sure that complete arrangements have been made for the entire shipment from the manufacturing location to the BIS testing labs door.
- The manufacturer, brand owner and Indian Representative, must have signed all vital documents. In addition, necessary documents must be notarised & stamped by the brand owner and Authorised Indian Representative (AIR).
- The product details in the Construction Data Form (CDF) and the information on the product components in the Critical Component List (CCL) need to be filled in briefly & accurately.
- A product test report is valid for three months, and before its expiry, the test report needs to be submitted to BIS. In case the applicant cannot submit the test report to BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards), then the applicant will have to submit the new product sample again for testing to BIS.
- All vital documents must be ready before the testing of the product samples.
- After submitting vital documents, including the product samples test reports, the BIS typically takes about fifteen days to grant the BIS Certification. Sometimes, it may take 1 to 2 months, which is a more realistic timeline to expect.
The Commercial or for Finished Wireless Headphones & Earphones, namely, Mobile Phones and Computer Devices that operate as a band according to the permission granted in India, the wireless headphones & earphones have to mandatorily issue the BIS Certificate for manufacture or import of wireless headphones & earphones as it is necessary for ensuring the human safety requirements.
Read our Article:How to Obtain BIS Certification for Smart Card Readers in India?