In India, ISI Mark Certification is essential because it provides a quality mark which describes the products’ grade, and ISI Mark depicts the trust and safety of the goods or products. ISI Mark Certification is mandatory for specific goods before being sold in the Indian Market. ISI Mark Certification proves that electrical goods or appliances are ready to use. This blog will discuss the BIS ISI Mark for Household Electrical Goods in India.
What are Household Electrical Goods?
Household electrical goods mean any device mainly intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industries and on farms.
List of Household Electrical Goods
Following is the list of Household Electrical Goods which require BIS ISI Mark Certification:
|Sr. No.||IS No.||Product|
|1.||IS: 12640 (Part 1) [adapted from IEC 61008-1:2012]||Residual current operated circuit breaker for household & similar uses-Part 1 Circuit breakers without integral overcurrent protection (RCCBs)|
|2.||IS: 12640 (Part 2) [adapted from IEC 61009-1:2012]||Residual current operated circuit breaker for household & similar uses–Part 2 Circuit breakers with integral overcurrent protection(RCVOs)|
|3.||IS: 13010||AC watt-hour meters, class 0.5, 1 & 2|
|4.||IS 14697||AC static transformer operated watt-hour & VAR-hour meters, class 0.2S & 0.5S|
|5.||IS 13779||AC static watt-hour meters, class 1 & 2|
|6.||IS 302 (Part 2/Sec 3)||Safety of household & similar electrical appliances – Electric iron|
|7.||IS 15111 (Part 1 & 2)||Self-Ballasted Lamps for General Lighting Services – Part 1: Safety Requirements and Part 2: Performance Requirements|
|8.||IS 302 (Part 2/Sec 201)||Safety of household & similar electrical appliances– Electric immersion water-heaters|
|9.||IS 302 (Part 2/Sec 202)||Safety of household & similar electrical appliances –Electric stoves|
|10.||IS 302 (Part 2/Sec 30)||Safety of household & similar electrical appliances-Room heaters|
|11.||IS 418||Tungsten filament general service electric lamps (upto100 W )|
|12.||IS 3854||Switches for domestic and similar purposes|
|13.||IS/IEC 60898-1:2002||Electrical Accessories-Circuit breakers for overcurrent protection for household and similar installations|
|14.||IS 694||PVC insulated cables for working voltages up to and including 1100V|
|15.||IS 9968 (Part 1)||Elastomer insulated cables (Part.1): For working voltages up to and including 1100 V.|
Key Points to Know about BIS ISI Mark for Household Electrical Goods
Following are some essential points about BIS ISI Mark for Household Electrical Goods:
- The BIS continually monitors all the manufacturers of such goods;
- In case the goods or products are not of good quality, anyone can file a complaint to BIS;
- The seller needs to state information of the BIS ISI Mark Certification on every voice of purchased products;
- The BIS Official needs three months to inspect a complaint filed against manufacturers.
Advantages of BIS ISI Mark for Household Electrical Goods
Following are the advantages of the BIS ISI Mark for Household Electrical Goods:
- A BIS ISI marked household electrical goods certify its quality to the customers;
- It provides a new push for quality control, standardisation, safety, and reliability of the goods for the customers;
- A BIS ISI marked household electrical goods guarantees both better performance and longer shelf-life;
- It reduces the losses in Business & rejection of products;
- In case the customer is not happy with the quality of the product with the BIS ISI Mark, the company will provide the customer with a new and fresh product in return to it;
Documents Required to Obtain BIS ISI Mark for Household Electrical Goods
Following are some essential documents to obtain BIS ISI Mark for Household Electrical Goods:
- Complete address proof of the registered manufacturing premises;
- Complete information of all the Household Electrical Goods used for testing that are being manufactured;
- Copy of the test report of the product sample by a BIS-certified lab;
- Product drawing;
- Detailed layout plan of the factory premises;
- Flow chart followed in the manufacturing process;
- Latest utility bills like electricity bills, mobile bills, etc.;
- All the information regarding machinery installed;
- Information of the raw material being used;
- Certificate copy from the Regulatory Authority;
- Information on packaging like the product size, quantity, storage facility, etc.;
- Information on quality control staff.
- Trademark Registration Certificate (if any).
Procedure to Obtain BIS ISI Mark for Household Electrical Goods
Following are steps for getting BIS ISI Mark for Household Electrical Goods:
Step 1: Select the Product Standard Code: First, the applicant needs to find & select the product standard code for their electrical product.
Step 2: Filing Application Form: After choosing the product standard code, the next step is filing an application Form V to get BIS ISI Mark Certification and submit it along with the prescribed fees. Further, the applicant must pay audit & Registration fees for further inspection.
Step 3: Inspection of Factory Premises: The next step in the BIS ISI Mark Certification procedure is the inspection of the factory premises by the BIS Official and inspection team. The BIS Officer and inspection team will visit the factory premises. The inspection team will examine the manufacturing unit and quality control of the applicant’s factory premises. The BIS Officer will collect product samples and send the samples for testing in a BIS-authorised laboratory.
Step 4: Product Sample Test Report: The applicant need to obtain the test report of product samples from the BIS authorised lab and submit it to BIS.
Step 5: Issuance of BIS ISI Mark for Household Electrical Goods: Once the procedure for ISI Certification & verification of the submitted documents, test report of product samples and application is completed, the BIS Authority will issue BIS ISI Mark Certification. Generally, the BIS ISI Mark Certification process takes around 30 days, starting from the submission date of the application form. Moreover, the BIS ISI Certificate is valid for one year and is qualified to renew after expiry.
Note: To get a renewed BIS ISI Mark Certificate, the applicant must file an application form duly certified by a Practicing Chartered Accountant.
Penalty for Misusing a BIS ISI Mark
In case a manufacturer or producer of Household Electrical Goods counterfeits a registered BIS ISI Mark, the manufacturer or producer of the products will be subjected to imprisonment for one year and a fine of Rs.5000/-.
India mandates BIS ISI Mark Certification for product manufacturers, and BIS ISI ensures product with the safety of the product or item. The Mark assures the buyer that the excellent quality of the product/item is guaranteed. However, BIS ISI promotes a flawless partnership between the consumer and the manufacturer.
Read our Article:An Overview of BIS ISI Certification for Sewing Machines