Power Bank is a portable charger manufactured to recharge electronic devices when a person is moving. The Indian market of Power Bank is projected to boom from approx. 99 million USD in 2018 to 255 million USD by 2023, demonstrate a CAGR of over 18% during the forecast period, on the rear of growing government initiatives aimed tower aiding the manufacturing sector & technological advancements resulting in a reduction in lithium-ion battery cost. All the Power Bank for use in portable applications has been included in the Compulsory BIS CRS Registration under IS standard – IS 13252 (Part-1):2010. The Power Bank cannot be imported/exported or sold in the Indian customers market without getting BIS CRS Registration.
Brief on CRS under BIS
The Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology, also known as MeitY, jointly with the Bureau of Indian Standard (BIS), introduced the Compulsory Registration Scheme in 2012. The objective of the CRS scheme is the implication of compulsory compliance by manufacturers of the product to get their product registered before any business in the Indian customer market. Currently, there are 79 electronics products under the CRS scheme. All individuals & companies who are manufacturing, importing, distributing, or selling electronics product lists need to apply for BIS CRS Registration. Anyone who is a Power bank manufacturer must apply for BIS CRS Registration after getting their product tested in BIS authorised lab.
Details Regarding BIS CRS Registration for Power Bank
The BIS CRS Registration for Power Bank ensures that the Power Bank being purchased from the customers is safe & reliable for use and also provides assurance that the power bank is of good quality. This includes credibility & builds trustworthiness for the branding of the company. The BIS CRS Certification for power banks was introduced under the Act of Parliament, where testing, marking, and product certification was mandated along with the formulation of set standards. The enactment objective was to maintain standardisation and provide Certification of the power bank. The BIS CRS Registration for Power Bank is necessary to be issued as it assures potential hazards caused if there any mistake found in the Power Banks like:
- The Explosion of the power bank due to overcharging
- Poor quality power banks have a higher chance of explosions due to faulty circuits;
- Imposing hazardous risks to the safety & security of the consumer;
- Damaging the battery life of the phone or any other electronic being charged;
- Causing damage to the phone’s port.
Basic Requisite for Obtaining BIS CRS Registration for Power Bank
Here are the four main requisites on which the BIS CRS Registration Certificate depends; without these, no one can apply for BIS CRS Registration. In order to obtain BIS CRS Registration, the applicant needs to fulfil the following requirements:
- Manufacturer: The important thing is that BIS CRS Registration is granted to the manufacturers only, not to the Importer or distributors. The Importer only acts as an Authorised Indian Representative of Foreign (Overseas) manufacturer and can submit the application form to BIS. However, the final BIS CRS Registration is only granted to the manufacturers.
- Address of Manufacturer: The BIS CRS Registration is granted to the manufacturer for a particular premises address. If the manufacturing address change, a new Registration is to be applied for. Or in case the manufacturer has more than one manufacturing address for the same product; separate Registration is applied for each manufacturing address with BIS.
- Product Category: In case a manufacturer is manufacturing more than one product, then they have to apply a separate application form for obtaining BIS CRS Registration for each product.
- Brand or Trademark: A manufacturer or OEM who is manufacturing the same product for more than one brand or Trademark has to apply for a separate license with BIS. For example, in case a manufacturer is manufacturing power banks for brand ‘A’ & brand ‘B’ to apply for two separate BIS CRS Registrations with BIS.
Documents Required for BIS CRS Registration for Power Bank
Following are some vital documents required to obtain BIS CRS Registration for Power Banks:
- A duly filled Constructional Data Form ( CDF), or the Critical Component List ( CCL);
- Business License of the Manufacturing Unit;
- A duly filled Application form;
- The Scope of Business License;
- The Label of Marking that specifies the information of the Power Banks
- ISO Certification of the Manufacturers
- The Authorisation Letter if the signatory personnel is not the owner of the Manufacturing facility;
- Trademark Authorisation Letter if the manufacturer is not the owner of the Trademark;
- The Trademark Certification;
- The proof of company registration of the office premises being situated in India for the Authorised Indian Representative (AIR), if the Power Banks are being manufactured in foreign;
- Technical Specification Sheet of the Power Bank;
- Photographic identification Proof of the Authorised Indian Representative (AIR) or the Authorised Signatory
- User Manual of the Power Bank.
Procedure to Obtain BIS CRS Registration for Power Bank
The process to obtain BIS CRS Registration for Power Bank is divided into two parts Indian or Foreign manufacturers:
- The process to obtain BIS CRS Registration for Indian (domestic) manufacturers
Step 1: First the applicant need to submit the application form along with all the required documents.
Step 2: Then the application and documents sent to BIS are to be evaluated, and upon successful results, an inspection is to be conducted, BIS Authorised Personnel performs a physical assessment, and samples of the product are collected.
Step 3: Then the sample tested in a BIS Authorised Laboratory, and a detailed report is drafted by the BIS authorised inspector of the inspection and the product sample.
Step 4: If all the standards are mandatorily complied with BIS, then the BIS CRS Registration Certificate is issued.
- Process for BIS CRS Registration for Foreign (overseas) Manufacturers
Step 1: Foreign Manufacturers are required to nominate an Authorised Indian Representative (AIR).
Step 2: The Foreign manufacturer must submit the duly filled application form along with all the documents.
Step 3: A product sample will be tested in a BIS-authorised Laboratory.
Step 4: The test report of product samples generated from the inspection conducted by an authorised BIS official will be submitted to BIS without tampering.
Step 5: In case the documents and test reports of a product are deemed satisfactory, then the BIS CRS Registration is granted.
Guidelines for the Appointment of Authorised Indian Representative (AIB)
To obtain a BIS Certificate, Foreign (overseas) applicants must nominate an Authorized Indian Representative (AIR) for their operations in India. In the event that they don’t have a branch office in India. The application for Certification must be submitted, managed, and inquiries can be asked of AIR as the local agent. The Authorized Indian Representative shall be appointed in accordance with the procedures to be followed by the Foreign Manufacturer (AIR)
Clause 1: In case the manufacturers have a liaison office or a branch office in India, they will be designated as Authorised Indian Representatives.
Clause 2: If the foreign manufacturer doesn’t have a branch office or liaison office in India, however, the proprietor/ registered user of the Trademark or brand appearing on the product is located in India, the owner of the Trademark or brand will become Authorized Indian Representative (AIR).
Clause 3: In case the manufacturer doesn’t have a branch office or liaison office located in India, and there is no proprietor or registered user of the Trademark or brand appearing on the product located in India, then the other entity will become the Authorized Indian Representative (AIR).
Compliance Measures for BIS CRS Registration for Power Banks
Following Compliance Measures are essential to be maintained for the obtaining of BIS CRS Registration for Power Bank in India:
- The product sample testing will be conducted only in a BIS Authorised Laboratory.
- Before the delivery of samples, the manufacturer of the Power Bank must ensure that complete arrangements have been made for the entire delivery from the factory premises where the product is manufactured to the applicable testing laboratory.
- The License of the BIS Authorised Laboratory should be valid & not suspended. The lab should also not be in the middle of any inspection or about to get audited.
- In the Construction Data Form (CDF), the product information is to be filled accurately. In the Critical Component List (CCL), the product components’ details should be filled very briefly & precisely.
- All vital documents should be signed by the Producer, Brand Owner and the Authorised Indian Representative (AIR), along with the documents being notarised & stamped by the Brand Owner and Authorised Indian Representative.
- All vital documents are to be prepared before the testing of the product.
- The validity of the Test Report of the product is for three months. Before the expiration date of the product test report, it must be submitted to the BIS.
- After successfully submitting all documents, including the product test report, the BIS typically requires about fifteen days to approve the BIS CRS Registration for Power Banks, which may extend to thirty to sixty days.
The BIS issues the BIS CRS registration. Electronic product manufacturers are required to obtain a BIS CRS registration certificate. The CRS registration informs the customer that the product is reliable, effective, and well-made.
Read our Article:How to Obtain BIS CRS Registration for Hard Drive in India?