Optical Fingerprint Scanners are the oldest & most widely used type of reader. With this, Light-Emitting Diodes (LED) create a digital sample of the fingerprint. The employee places their finger on the scan area during the access control terminal. An image of the fingerprint is recorded & discarded whilst the algorithm matches binary sequences against the stored binary template. This method is considered one of the Market’s most counterfeit-proof methods. On 23rd May 2018, the BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards) has required Optical Fingerprint Scanners to be registered as per IS 13252 (Part-1):2022 under CRS (Compulsory Registration Scheme) from BIS. So, it is mandatory for all the manufacturers of Optical Fingerprint Scanner to obtain BIS CRS Certification for Optical Fingerprint Scanners.
An Overview of BIS CRS
DeitY, or the Department of Electronic & Information Technology, now referred to as the Ministry of Electronic & Information Technology (MeitY), along with the consultation of the BIS, introduced the CRS or Compulsory Registration Scheme in the year 2012. The Government introduced this scheme for a certain group of electronic products to get the BIS CRS Registration Certificate. Once the actual Manufacturer of the product completes this Registration process, it will show that the product is of high quality and apt for consumption in the Indian Market.
Benefits of BIS CRS Certification for Optical Fingerprint Scanners
The following are the benefits of BIS CRS Certification for Optical Fingerprint Scanners:
- It provides a competitive advantage;
- Builds trust & confidence in the branding of the company;
- Ease in entering the Indian Market;
- Provides assurance that the Optical Fingerprint Scanner is tested & certified accordingly;
- No fines or penalties are being imposed.
Important Instructions Regarding the Nomination of Authorised Indian Representative (In Case of Foreign Manufacturer)
It is compulsory for all Foreign Manufacturers to nominate an Authorised Indian Representative (AIR) for their operation in India to get BIS Certificate. If they don’t have a branch office in India. An Authorised Indian Representative as a Local Representative is liable for submitting & managing the application for BIS CRS Certification for Optical Fingerprint Scanners and is available to answer all the questions. Following are some important instructions that the Foreign Manufacturer should follow to appoint an AIR:
- If the Foreign Manufacturer or applicant does not have a liaison office/a branch office in India, but the registered user of the Trademark user or proprietor appearing on the product is located in India, then the Trademark Owner will become an Authorised Indian Representative.
- In case the Foreign Manufacturer does not have a branch office/a liaison office in India, and also, there is no registered user of the Trademark appearing on the product located in India, then the other entity will become the AIR.
- If the Foreign Manufacturer has a liaison office branch office in India, they will be designated as AIR.
Documents Required for BIS CRS Certification for Optical Fingerprint Scanners
Following are some important documents required for BIS CRS Certification for Optical Fingerprint Scanners:
- A duly filled CDF (Constructional Data Form) & CCL (Critical Component List);
- A duly-filled BIS CRS application form;
- ISO Certificate of the Manufacturer;
- Trademark Registration Certificate;
- Trademark Authorisation Letter (If Trademark is owned by other than the Manufacturer);
- Marking Label or Details of Marking on the Product;
- Scope of Business License (English Translation + Local Language);
- Business License of Manufacturing Unit;
- Proof of Authorised Indian Representative (AIR) Company Registration in India (In case of Foreign Manufacturer);
- Photo ID of the AIR or Authorised Signatory;
- Authorisation Letter (if the signatory person is other than the manufacturing head);
- Circuit Diagram, block diagram, PCB Layout.
Procedure for Obtaining BIS CRS Certification for Optical Fingerprint Scanners
Following is the step-by-step procedure for obtaining BIS CRS Certification for Optical Fingerprint Scanners:
Procedure for Indian Manufacturer
- First, the applicant must fill out the application form and provide all the details correctly, as mentioned in the application.
- After filing the application, submit it along with the documents to BIS.
- Then the BIS will examine the application & documents submitted by the applicant.
- Upon successful examination, an inspection is to be conducted, & a physical inspection is conducted by BIS Officials, and samples of the products are collected.
- The sample will be tested in a BIS-recognised lab and a detailed report is drafted by the authorised inspector or officer of BIS for both the inspection & the product sample testing.
- If all the specified standards are set to be mandatorily complied with by the Bureau of Indian Standards, then the BIS CRS Certification for Optical Fingerprint Scanners is granted.
Procedure for Foreign Manufacturers
- First, the Foreign Manufacturer need to nominate an Authorised Indian Representative.
- Then the Foreign Manufacturer is required to submit the duly filled application along with all the crucial documents as mentioned above.
- A sample product is to be tested in a BIS-certified lab to ensure that all the set BIS Standards are being met.
- A test report generated from the inspection conducted by an authorised BIS Officer is to be submitted to BIS without any tampering.
- If all the above steps are successfully completed, then the BIS CRS Certification for Optical Fingerprint Scanners is issued.
Important Points Regarding Drawing and Testing of Samples
Following are some important points regarding the drawing & testing of samples:
- Where the products have different rating sizes, varieties, etc., such products shall be grouped & may be granted series approval for a SoPs (Series of Products) based on testing of representative models.
- A decision regarding series approval shall be taken by the Ministry of Electronic & Information Technology (MeitY) or its authorised agencies while implementing the order.
- The sample of products of the registered user shall be drawn from their manufacturing unit/from the Market by the Appropriate Authority/person authorised by them to determine whether they conform to the specified Standard. Provided if required, samples may also be drawn by the BIS or its authorised representatives.
- The location & the product to be picked up shall be selected randomly;
- All the test reports shall be examined for conformity with the sample concerning the requirements of the specified Standards.
- The Appropriate Authority shall retain the test report of the conforming sample & the test report of the non-conforming sample of the product shall be sent to the BIS by the Appropriate Authority within the specified time limit for further action.
- The sample so drawn, labelled & sealed shall be sent to the Appropriate Authority or an individual authorised by them for testing at a BIS-certified lab, along with a request stating that the sample shall be tested with respect to all the necessities of the specified Standard & the test report shall be sent to the Appropriate Authority.
- The samples shall be drawn at least once in 2 years for a product/Series of Products covered under the Scope of Registration granted.
Note: The validity of a BIS Certification for Optical Fingerprint Scanners is for 2 years. The granted Registration Certificate may further be renewed subsequently up to 5 years.
Form 2018, the BIS has required Optical Fingerprint Scanners to be registered to IS 13252(Part1): 2010. While meeting the technical requirements of the specified Standard hasn’t been a challenge, working with the testing labs & BIS had not come so easily. Constantly changing necessities & administrative roadblocks have burdened many manufacturers.
Read our Article:BIS CRS Certification for Visual Display Units – An Overview