A hardware system known as an automatic data processing machine that automatically gathers, processes, and saves data. Magnetic or optical readers, machines for transcribing data into coded data mediums, and apparatus for processing such data are all considered automatic data processing machines. Systems composed of various separate components can be used as automatic data processing machines. Automatic Data Processing Machine reduces errors by processing data automatically. It is used to acquire information automatically and handle huge amounts of data rapidly and effectively. The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) demanded that the automatic data processing machine be registered under IS 13252 (Part 1):2010 under the Compulsory Registration Scheme from BIS under the Gazette of India on July 3, 2013. To manufacture, import/export, store, or sell automatic data processing machines in the Indian market, you must register your goods under a compulsory registration programme. No one can sell it in the Indian market without the BIS Registration. This write-up will discuss BIS Certification for Automatic Data Processing Machine.
What is BIS CRS?
BIS CRS is the abbreviation for the Bureau of Indian Standards Compulsory Registration Scheme. The Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology published the Electronics & Information Technology Products Order 2012 for public consumption (MeitY). The group of electronic products should fall under the CRS, according to the notification. As a result, the manufacturer cannot sell the products listed in the notification without the proper BIS CRS Certification. Only 15 different types of electronic equipment were covered by MeitY’s 2012 BIS CRS Certification notice. In 2014, 15 more product categories were added via MeitY.
In 2016, 13 new product categories were added, and smartphones had to support Indian languages. The solar panels, systems, devices, and component items (Requirements for Compulsory Registration) order of 2017 added five new product categories. To boost clean, renewable energy, this was done. The BIS CRS Certification Scheme regulation said that no producer should be allowed to import, sell, or distribute electronic equipment that does not adhere to Indian requirements. Each electronic item needs to display the CRS mark and be registered with a specific registration number.
Essential Requirements to Obtain BIS Certification for Automatic Data Processing Machine
The four requisites that every certificate applicant must adhere to before applying for Indian BIS Certification for Automatic Data Processing Machine include the following:
- Manufacturer: The BIS Certification is only issued to the product manufacturer. The importers, retailers or traders are not eligible for the BIS certificate. However, they can act as an Authorised Representative of a manufacturer in India if the manufacturer does not have an operating office in India. However, the license is issued in the name of the manufacturer only.
- Manufacturing Address: The Application and supporting documents shall mention a proper manufacturing address. If a manufacturer has more than one manufacturing premises for a product, then separate BIS Certification is required for each manufacturing premises.
- Product: If a manufacturer manufactures more than one product, then two separate BIS certifications must be obtained for each product.
- Trademark or Brand: A manufacturer manufacturing the same product for more than one brand has to apply for a separate license with BIS.
Documents Required for BIS Certification for Automatic Data Processing Machine
Following are some vital documents required in obtaining BIS Certification for Automatic Data Processing Machine:
- Company Registration Certificate. For SSI, relevant registration certificate.
- List of manufacturing machines (name, their purpose, capacity, etc.);
- Flow chart of the manufacturing unit;
- Details on packing and storage;
- Details on the quality control team and their qualification certificates;
- List of in-house testing facilities mentioning details of the calibration status, the least count etc. calibration certificates of the testing devices that should not be more than three months old;
- Map location;
- Original test report of product from the BIS authorised laboratory;
- Test report copies for every raw material and part;
- Trademark Registration;
- Authorisation from CEO if an authorised signatory and if foreign manufacturers, information of Authorised Indian representative (AIR);
- Organisation chart;
- If certain processes are outsourced, the information and quality control documents related to the same;
- Technical specifications of the product, the drawing of the product, raw material and components information, list of critical components, and user/product manual.
Process to Obtain BIS Certification for Automatic Data Processing Machine
The process of getting BIS Certification for Automatic Data Processing Machine varies based on the location of the manufacturing premises. Further, the BIS Certification process for domestic manufacturers varies from foreign manufacturers. The vital steps involved in getting BIS for Automatic Data Processing Machines include:
Process for Indian Manufacturer
Step 1: Submit the duly filed Application and all required documents on the BIS portal.
Step 2: Get the product samples tested through a BIS-approved lab.
Step 3: Submit an offline or online hard copy of the duly filed application form, including the product samples test report.
Step 4: BIS officers and inspection teams verify the Application form and all required essential documents.
Step 5: Grant of BIS Certification.
Process for Foreign Manufacturer
Step 1: Nominate Authorised Indian Representative (AIR) who can represent a foreign manufacturer.
Step 2: Submit the duly filed Application and required documents on the BIS Portal.
Step 3: Get the product sample testing done through BIS approved lab.
Step 4: Submit an offline or online hardcopy of the Application and the product samples test report.
Step 5: BIS officers and inspection team verify the Application and all required essential documents.
Step 6: Grant of BIS Certification.
Validity & Renewal of the BIS Certification for Automatic Data Processing Machine
The BIS Certification for Automatic Data Processing Machine is valid for two years. The manufacturers need to renew the BIS Certification when there is no product alteration and according to Indian standards. Renewal of the BIS License is subject to a license fee and annual marking fee. The renewed BIS Certificate is valid for a minimum of 1 to 5 years. However, if the BIS certification renewal application form is filed after expiry, applicants must pay a late fee of Rs.5000.
The BIS released an official notification stating the requirements of mandatory registration for the said category of a product under scheme II. Any manufacturer worldwide wishing to manufacture automatic data processing machines with mains power has to register themselves with the Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) of the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS). Without a valid BIS Certification for Automatic Data Processing Machine, no manufacturer can trade or sell Automatic data processing machines in the Indian consumer market.
Read our Article:BIS Certification for Wireless Microphones – An Overview