BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards) certification is a voluntary certification scheme in India that aims to guarantee the quality, safety, and durability of products. The BIS certification for hard-drawn steel wire IS 2589:1975 involves a series of tests to verify that the wire meets the specified requirements. This article discusses the IS 2589:1975 mark for Hard Drawn Steel Wire and its process of obtaining BIS certification for hard-drawn steel wire.
Concept of Hard Drawn Steel Wire and its uses
Hard-drawn steel wire is a type of steel wire that has been drawn through a series of dyes to reduce its diameter and increase its tensile strength. This process involves pulling the wire through a series of progressively smaller holes in a die, which stretches and elongates the wire while also reducing its cross-sectional area. It is typically made from low to medium-carbon steel and is known for its high tensile strength and durability. It is generally used in a wide variety of applications, including construction, manufacturing, agriculture, and transportation.
Uses of hard-drawn steel wire:
- One common use of this product is in the production of fencing and mesh products. The high tensile strength of the wire makes it perfect for creating durable and long-lasting fences and barriers that can withstand the elements and resist deformation and breakage.
- It is in the production of upholstery springs and other components for mechanical applications. The wire’s high tensile strength and resilience make it ideal for creating springs that can withstand repeated cycles of compression and expansion without losing their shape or strength.
- In the construction industry, this product is often used as a supporting material in concrete structures. The wire is added to concrete mixes to help prevent cracking and improve the overall strength and durability of the structure.
Overall, this product is a versatile and durable material that has many applications across a range of industries. Its high tensile strength and resilience make it ideal for use in applications where strength and durability are essential.
Test to qualify for BIS certification in case of Hard Drawn Steel Wires
The following are the tests that are typically required for the BIS certification of hard-drawn steel wire IS 2589:1975:
1. Chemical Analysis: This test involves analyzing the chemical composition of the wire to ensure that it meets the specified requirements.
2. Tensile Strength Test: This test measures the maximum load that the wire can withstand before breaking.
3. Elongation Test: This test measures the percentage increase in the length of the wire when subjected to a tensile load.
4. Wrap Test: This test checks the ability of the wire to wrap around a mandrel of a specific diameter without breaking.
5. Bending Test: This test measures the ability of the wire to withstand bending without breaking.
6. Rebend Test: This test measures the ability of the wire to withstand repeated bending without breaking.
7. Twist Test: This test measures the ability of the wire to withstand twisting without breaking.
8. Weight of Zinc Coating Test: This test checks the weight of the zinc coating on the wire and ensures that it meets the specified requirements.
These tests are usually conducted by accredited laboratories that are recognized by BIS. The test results are then submitted to BIS for evaluation, and if the wire meets all the specified requirements, BIS issues the certification.
Documents required while seeking for BIS certification for hard drawn Steel Wires
BIS certification for hard-drawn steel wires requires the following documentation:
- Application Form
- Test Reports
- Details of Manufacturing Process
- Quality Control Plan
- List of Equipment and Machinery
- Product Drawings and Specifications
- Inspection and Testing Plan
- Production Samples
- Origin Certificate
Procedure for obtaining BIS certification for Hard Drawn Steel wires
Bureau of Indian Standards certification (BIS) is a mandatory certification in India for various products that are being manufactured, imported, or sold in the Indian market. BIS certification ensures that the products comply with the Indian standards and specifications, which in turn ensures the safety, reliability, and quality of the products.
One of the products that require BIS certification is hard-drawn steel wire. The BIS certification for hard-drawn steel wire is governed by the Indian Standard IS 2589:1975.
IS 2589:1975 specifies the requirements for hard-drawn steel wire for general engineering purposes, such as for the manufacture of springs, wire ropes, and mechanical fasteners. The standard defines the properties of hard-drawn steel wire, such as its diameter, tensile strength, elongation, and torsion. It also specifies the chemical composition of the steel used for the manufacture of hard-drawn steel wire.
The BIS certification process for hard-drawn steel wire involves the following steps:
While the application for the hard-drawn steel wire, the manufacturer or importer must submit the required documents and pay the applicable fees.
The BIS will conduct various tests on the hard-drawn steel wire to ensure that it complies with the requirements specified in IS 2589:1975. The tests may include tensile strength, elongation, torsion, and chemical composition.
The BIS will conduct an audit of the manufacturer’s or importer’s facility to ensure that the manufacturing process complies with the requirements specified in IS 2589:1975.
If this product passes all the tests and the audit, the BIS will issue a BIS certification mark, which the manufacturer or importer can then use on their products. The BIS certification mark indicates that this product meets the quality and safety standards that are set by the Indian government, and it is a certified product. It also helps the consumers to distinguish the products that are safe and reliable to use.
In summary, BIS certification for hard-drawn steel wire 2589:1975 is a mandatory certification that ensures the quality and safety of the hard-drawn steel wire used for general engineering purposes. Manufacturers and importers of this product must comply with the requirements specified in IS 2589:1975 and undergo the BIS certification process in order to sell their products in the domestic market.
Read our Article:How To Apply For BIS Certification In India?