FSSAI License for energy drinks in India is mandatory for those who want to engage themselves in the sector of energy drink manufacturing. Nowadays, most people are making energy drink a part of their daily life as its consumption re-energizes the body and eradicates fatigue and exhaustion. Energy drinks are becoming people’s favorite, especially youngsters crave, to have energy drinks.
Let it be your professional life or personal life; pressure prevails on all the fronts. Having energy drinks would help you release pressure and increase the level of calm in mind to handle the issues of a different nature. Energy drinks are beverages that typically comprise caffeine as well as artificial sweeteners. Since they boost the physical along with mental energy, and maybe that’s why they got the name “energy drinks.”
The increased consumption of energy drinks in India has made it a billion-dollar industry, and therefore, there is an upsurge in the no. of energy drink manufacturers in India. In the market, many energy food products or drinks are available, which envelops food items, bars, and various energy drinks whose marketing takes place in such a manner that these items promote the consumers to keep themselves energized and utilize the energy in exercising, running, playing games, etc.
FSSAI License for energy drinks in India is Mandatory
According to one of the shocking revelations made under World Health Organization reports, taking caffeine beyond the limits has several side effects, such as changes in behavior, palpitations as well as other health issues in youth and adults. Excessive consumption of energy drinks may pose serious health hazards like kidney damage and high blood pressure, etc.
The food regulatory body, FSSAI, has brought FSSAI standards and FSSAI license for energy drinks in India. As per the FSSAI guidelines and new standards on Food Safety and Standards Regulation, 2011, all the energy drink companies should adhere to the provisions given in the regulations. Apply for FSSAI license or FSSAI registration to start an energy drink business in India.
FSSAI Standards for Energy Drinks/Caffeinated Beverages
- FSSAI has taken steps to regulate caffeinated beverages after learning that many leading energy drinks in the Indian market have caffeine as the ingredients more in amount than the suggested consumption level on a regular basis.
- According to the FSSAI standards, non-alcoholic beverages having caffeine more than 145 mg per liter would get labeled as caffeinated beverages.
- The maximum permissible caffeine level must not cross 300 mg per liter. Besides this, sucralose must not pass 300 ppm, and saccharin sodium must not go beyond 100 pm. The permissible limit for Neotame is 33 ppm. Methyl ester must not exceed 770 ppm.
- The manufacturers of the beverage need to appoint a Food Supervisor to check whether the safety levels of the beverages are appropriate or not.
- Another mandatory thing is that conducting an Audit and a Hazard Analysis needs to happen after a periodic interval to analyze whether the beverages are in accordance with the FSSAI standards and guidelines or not.
- If the ingredients of the energy drinks include any fruit, then it becomes mandatory to have a declaration about the fruit content on the beverage labels.
- You won’t even think of getting an FSSAI license without complying with the FSSAI standards and guidelines.
Read our article: Enforcement of the FSS ACT – An Overview
Microbiological Requirements in the FSSAI Standards
It is mandatory for the products to adhere to the microbiological level of the FSSAI food standards. The microbiological demands in the FSSAI standards are-
FSSAI License for Energy Drinks in India- Packaging, and Labelling Requirements
- As per the IS: 9845, the amount of color or pigment in use should not be more than 60 mg/liter. Plastic bottles made up of polycarbonate & polyethylene terephthalate(In short, it’s PET)comprise Blue tint, for instance, 5-liter pack bottle or more than that should be in accordance with the Indian standard(IS- 9833).
- Before issuance of the FSSAI food license, the Department of FSSAI will make sure that your food properly concurs with packaging guidelines framed and issued by the FSSAI Department.
- All the energy drink makers or caffeinated beverage makers must mention a caution statement in the written form on the labels of the product, which affirm that the product is not fit for consumption or recommended for children below the special age category and lactating or pregnant women.
- All the energy drink sellers or manufacturers in India must ensure that the energy tag on the product must get removed. In addition to this, they need to use caffeinated beverages in order to sell such a product.
- FSSAI has directed a limit of maximum one level of RDA in serving on a daily basis(100% Recommended Daily Allowance) concerning usage of Vitamins like Vitamin B3, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B12, and Vitamin B1. Different types of Amino acids, like Inositol, Taurine, and others, can get used in the range of their defined limits for per day serving.
- Under FSSAI standards and guidelines, labeling requirements for such products are defined. There is a mandatory condition that the manufacturers should go on making a declaration of the per day consumable quantity. The per-day quantity refers to the consumption of the maximum amount of caffeinated beverages within one day.
- All products, including acesulfame, aspartame, and different artificial sweeteners regarding which special labeling provisions prescribed under Regulations 2.4.5- FSSAI(Packaging and Labelling) Regulations of 2011 must not get stored, packed, sold or distributed in containers in return.
Food companies engrossed in manufacturing, marketing along with energy drinks import must comply with the FSSAI Standards and Rules and Regulations prescribed there. Also, they must get a mandatory FSSAI license for energy drinks in India. Implementation of FSSAI standards would ensure the safety of consumers. The experts at Corpbiz would help you do energy drinks business by attaining FSSAI Registration and FSSAI License for energy drinks in India.
Read our article:What is National Food Security Card, and How to download it?