The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is a Regulatory body that is responsible for supervising the safety & standard of food business all over the country. To run a food business in India, an FSSAI license is compulsory. In today’s time, as people desire for certified food utilization, FSSAI license offers the food business with legal advantages and scope of expansion. It also builds goodwill and trust & also makes sure that food being healthy which creates customer consciousness. Understand the necessary process and necessities for obtaining an FSSAI License Number in this Blog.
What is FSSAI License Number?
FSSAI License number is given to any Food Business Operator that has effectively registered itself with the FSSAI. Furthermore, the license numbers is a 14-digit number that is issued to any food business operator. The question is what does this number specify, the 14-digit FSSAI License number is divided into five segments and each segment has a certain meaning.
The Segments are explained below-
- First Digit- Defines the Status of Registration;
- Second and Third digit- Mentions the State Code where the business has its operations;
- Fourth and Fifth digit–Year of Manufacture of Food
- Sixth, Seventh, and Eight digit –Quantity of Enrolling Master
- The last six digits – Depicts the License Number
FSSAI Guidelines for License Number
- Every food package is needed to have a FSSAI license number;
- The font color of the 14-digit FSSAI License number has to be in contrast with the background of the package of the food products. This means that the License number should be noticeable. The food business operator has to make sure that the food package should have a license number and the logo should be clearly visible.
- In case of import of food products, the license number, name and address of the transporter is required to be shared with the authorities
- The font size on the food package should be according to the provisions of the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labeling) Regulations, 2011
- The license number has to be mentioned in the addresses of the different unit of the product with the quality of the company delivering the products.
- Food business operator can utilize the logo as well as the license number until the expiry of the license.
- Food business operator must renew the license number on time
How to check the FSSAI License Number online?
Here is the way check the FSSAI License Number online-
- To begin the status check, you need to click on https://foscos.fssai.gov.in/
- This link will send you to the tracking page where are required to enter the registration number and press submit.
- After successfully submitting the registration number, you will be sent to another page where you will find all the details of the Food business operator which consists of the FSSAI license number, registration number, date of expiry, type of food business and name of the company.
Requirements of FSSAI License Certificate
The FSSAI registration is applicable for every business sector consisting of Food business that includes small foodstuffs businesses in India. The following food businesses are required to obtain FSSAI registration-
- A Food Business Operator with an annual turnover of INR 12 lakhs;
- Small retailers;
- Sole proprietorship business that deals with food products;
- Temporary stall owner dealing with sale of food;
- Any individual that distributes food in social or religious meetings or occasions.
Documents Required for FSSAI Registration
As per the guidelines of the FSSAI, the documents needed for Basic, Central, and State Licenses are as follows-
- Photo of passport and
- Photocopy of a valid ID proof.
The additional documents required for the Central and State Registration are mentioned below-
- Address proof
- Layout plan
- List of Food category
- List of Equipment
- NOC required from Municipality corporation
- List consisting information about directors and partners
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Memorandum of Association & Article of Association for the registration process
- Water test report
- Import & Expert code
Criteria for FSSAI License
The Criteria for FSSAI License are mentioned below-
- Except for small scale business, the FSSAI license is mandatory for all the Food Business Operators in India. Mainly FSSAI License is classified into two- Central FSSAI License & State FSSAI License that depends up on the capacity of the business structure.
- Food Business Operator working as a large scale business venture, exporter & importer that trade in a large scale food supply need to have an FSSAI license.
- The small scale business such as traders, transporters and manufacturing units are required to have FSSAI Registration.
- To register for the FSSAI state license, Food Business Operators should have a turnover of INR 12 lakh to INR 20 crores.
- The minimum tenure of the license is 1 year and maximum up to 5 years.
Benefit of FSSAI License Number
Obtaining a FSSAI license helps the food business to deal with food products providing them with legal benefits, goodwill building, assistance in business expansion, guarantee food safety and increase consumer consciousness.
FSSAI License number regulates the import and export of food, sale of the food, supply chain, distribution services as well as storage facility. In order to initiate any food business, FSSAI Registration certificate is fairly essential to make sure the food quality concerned with the food business and to obtain benefits from the non-compliance services offered by the government.
Read our article: NDMC Has No Right to Prompt FOBs to Raise Additional License: FSSAI