FSSAI is the government-driven entity that issues licenses to food business operators across this country. It ensures that food items that are accessible to the public domain are contamination-free and completely safe. Food business entities cannot carry out their business activities without an FSSAI license. In this article, we shall look at the validity of FSSAI license and other essential aspects.
FSSAI issues different types of food licenses to the food business operators in India. These are as follows;
- Basic License
- State License,
- Central License,
These licenses are issued in accordance with the annual turnover and scale of operation of a business. The issued FSSAI license includes details such as the license holder’s address, address of the authorized partners, type of business, category of business, and name of the designated officer.
Decoding FSSAI License Number
The FSSAI License contains a 14 digit registration number, and it can be decoded as follows:-
- Digit in the 9th- 14th place indicates the maker’s permit number.
- Digit in the 6th, 7th, and 8th places suggests the quality of the enrolling master.
- Digit in the 4th and 5th give the indication of the business enrollment year.
- The 2nd and 3rd digit reflects the state code.
- The first digit manifests that the business is registered or not.
FSSAI license remains valid for a specific timeline, after which you need to opt for the renewal.
What is the Validity of FSSAI License as per FSS Act, 2006?
- The FSSAI License excels on a flexible validity timeline. At present, this license offers validity for a min- 1 year and a max. of 5 years.
- After the expiration, the license seeks renewal from the concerned authority. The license holder must renew the registration within 30 days before the expiration date or else. A penalty of Rs. 100/day will be imposed on the license holder in case of delay.
How FSSAI’s Web-based Renewal Process works?
Since any delay in renewal is subjected to monetary penalties, it’s better to renew the license on time. After introducing the FSSAI online portal, it becomes relatively easy for applicants to apply for the license renewal. The applicant can file the online renewal application in the following way.
- Open the FSSAI online portal by using the following URL. http://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in
- Use your login credentials, i.e., username and password, to log in to the portal.
- Explore the option called “Apply for Renewal for License/Registration”.
- Wait until a list prompts on your computer screen, and then select the related link. Click on Proceed.
- Click the OK tab on the confirmation dialog box stating, “Are you sure you want to apply for renewal of the license”.
- Upload the requested documents and form as per the on-screen details. Next, tap on the Submit button.
- Note down the Reference number generated by the portal against the submitted application. This will let you keep track of the further process
Documents to be Arranged for FSSAI License Renewal
Documentation that goes along with an online renewal application varies in accordance with the types of license. The table below explains the same.
State & Central FSSAI License
- Duly filled & Signed Form B.
- Digital photograph of the application or director or authorized signatory
- Director’s address proof.
- Layout plan of an establishment.
- Directors’ ID proof.
- Category of food items that a company is dealing with.
- No objection certificate of a local body.
- Listicle of machinery and equipment used by the establishment to produce the food items.
- Article of association (AOA) & Memorandum of Association (MOA)
- Proof of property’s ownership
- A canceled cheque
Apart from the documents above, the applicant seeking a central license needs to arrange some additional documents as well. Those are as follow:-
- Certification from Ministry of commerce
- Proof regarding the turnover
- Water testing report issued by the BIS-certified lab.
- IEC registration in case the food items are being exported to foreign nations.
Consequences for not Renewing the FSSAI License on Time
If there is any delay in renewal application filing, then in such a case, the applicant will encounter a penalty of INR 100 /day. To avoid such adversity; the applicant must renew the FSSAI registration on time. As per the FSSAI guidelines, the FBOs across this country must renew the FSSAI license before 30 days of the expiration date.
Any infringement to such a requirement will place the license holders in the penalty zone. To get a better hold of unnecessary penalties, it is better for you to keep the validity of FSSAI license alive without any inconsistency.
What are the Viable Benefits of the FSSAI License?
Food Business Operators (FBOs) rejoice various benefits of obtaining a food license:-
- Create awareness in the public domain about food security and quality.
- FSSAI Logo helps in creating new customer-base and retaining existing ones. The logo act as a promotional tool for the Food business operators in India.
- FSSAI License holders can have a competitive advantage over the rivals operating in the same market.
- Businesses with FSSAI License can easily garner trust among the end-users, which in turn raise their profitability and revenue.
- It keeps unlawful activities such as producing contaminated foods and mislabeling at the bay, thus ensuring complete safety for the consumers.
The FSSAI registration ensures that the FBOs operating across this country don’t encounter legal complications while carrying out the business activities. There is a reason why the validity of the FSSAI license is limited.
First, it keeps the FBOs on their toes to comply with prescribed guidelines. Second, it helps the authority keep license holders under a strict legal regime to deliver quality food items to the end-users consistently. If you have any questions in mind regarding the validity of FSSAI license or any other matter, let us know by dropping the query in the message box.