The demand for Light-emitting Diodes Bulbs has seen a significant spike in the past few years. They are durable, thermally efficient, and pocket-friendly as compared to traditional bulbs. The overall service life of LED bulbs is relatively higher than what a conventional bulb offers. Owing to their amplified performance, LED bulbs are used prominently across commercial and industrial spheres. The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has made it mandatory for all manufacturers to secure BIS CRS Certification for Self-ballasted LED Bulb without fail. IS 16102 (PART 1):2012 entails this product’s quality and testing standards.
What are Self-ballasted LED lamps?
Self-ballasted LED lamps are generally plug-n-play LED bulbs and cannot be dismantled or fixed in any circumstances. The term ballast refers to the current regulating mechanism which helps curb increasing voltage as soon as the power source comes alive. The fluorescent bulbs can end up consuming massive power in the absence of a ballast mechanism, leading to poor power efficacy.
Documents required for BIS CRS Certification for Self-ballasted LED Bulb
Following are the documents required for BIS CRS Certification for Self-Ballasted LED Bulb:
- CDF/CCL form (Completely filed and signed) Note: CDF/CCL form refers to a standard document enclosing the list of components of a particular product. Simply put, it can be considered as a part-list of a product.
- Completely filled and signed the BIS application form.
- Factory license of the production facility
- ISO certification, if applicable.
- Marking norms (followed by the manufacturer).
- Authorization letter (in case of a person is appointed to address registration formalities).
- Trade Mark Certificate
- Trademark Authorization Letter (If a trademark belongs to a party other than the manufacturer)
- Authorized Indian Representative document (in case of the foreign manufacturer)
- Photo ID concerning Authorized Signatory/AIR
- Technical Specification Sheet relating to Product/user manual
Process for registering Self-ballasted LED lamp with BIS
The applicant seeking BIS CRS Certification for Self-ballasted LED Bulbs must follow the procedural steps listed below.
Step 1: Furnish the e-form on the portal
Filing an e-form on the BIS portal is the first step in securing the BIS CRS Certification for Self-ballasted LED Bulbs. The form acts as an intimation letter for authority enclosing basic information about the product, owner, and production facility.
Step 2: On-site inspection and sample selection
Once the authority comes across the e-form and vets the same thoroughly for error, it will send the designated officials to the production facility for inspection. The vetting procedure followed by this office will be in line with BIS norms and applicable standards. The sample selection will be made on-premises by these officials for lab testing as specified under IS 16102 (PART 1):2012. Some common tests to be performed in the certified lab for measuring product quality include
- Bending moment
- Axial pull
- Insulation resistance
- Electric shock
- Cap Temperature rise
- Mechanical strength
- Electric strength
- Resistance to flame
- Creepage distances and clearances.
Step 3: Submission of the application’s hardcopy and testing report
Once the sample testing report is generated by the lab, the applicant will get informed about the report collection. The applicant must share the application’s hardcopy and testing report within the prescribed timeframe to avert cancellation of a registration request.
Step 4: Document vetting and grant of certification
Upon receiving the aforesaid documents, the authority will initiate the inspection process to identify possible non-conformity. If the BIS couldn’t find any loose ends, it will soon grant the BIS CRS Certification for Self-ballasted LED Bulbs.
Marking norms for the BIS-certified products
Every self-ballasted LED bulb manufactured as per the BIS norms should reflect the following details without fail;
- Mark of Origin (this may include the name of the manufacturer or vendor)
- Voltage range or Voltage Range (marked ‘V’ or ‘Volt’)
- Rated wattage (marked ‘W’ or ‘Watts’)
- Rated frequency (marked in ‘Hz’)
- Rated lumen
- Country of Manufacturing
Key facts concerning BIS CRS Certification for Self-ballasted LED Bulb
Following are key facts regarding the BIS CRS Certification for Self-Ballasted LED Bulb:
- BIS license applies to the manufacturers only. Importer, seller, and distributor do not fall under the ambit of this registration.
- Manufacturers with multiple production facilities located in different regions cannot apply for a single license.
- Ensure all the documents enclose the applicant or AIR signature and the genuine stamping.
- The Construction Data form (CDF) must entail every product detail. The same is true for the Critical Component list (CCL).
- Failure to submit the test report within 90 days (validity period) will lead to the rejection of the same. In such a case, the applicant needs to readdress the testing requirement as per BIS norms.
- There is no standard timeline on how much time BIS needs to complete the vetting of the test report and application form.
- AIR appointment is a mandatory requirement for overseas manufacturers having a liaison office in India.
- BIS license applicability differs product-wise. But if the same product category entails various products, one registration would not be sufficient to cover all the models.
BIS CRS Certification for Self-ballasted LED Bulb attracts an array of compliances that must be fulfilled without fail. From production to quality, the manufacturer must pay attention to the underlying norms to qualify for a BIS license. Undoubtedly, it won’t be easy for manufacturers to do so owing to the myriad of requirements. Therefore, it’s ideal to get in touch with an expert having extensive experience in BIS licensing.
Read Our Article:How to Start an LED Bulb Manufacturing Business?