Every business journey in India starts with obtaining basic licenses, and a shop act license is one of them. A Shop and Establishment License is an absolute mandate for establishments like supermarkets, theatres, hotels, retail shops, and so on. Commencing a business without this License could compel the owners to encounter heavy penalties. In this write-up, you will learn how to apply for a Shop and Establishment license in Ahmedabad.
An Overview on Gujarat Shops and Establishment Act
The 1948 Gujarat Shops and Establishment Act formerly recognized as the 1948 Bombay Shops and Establishment Act came to effect on January 11, 1949, on the recommendation of the report prepared by Mr. Shantilal Shah Committee. The ultimate goal of this Act is to consolidate as well as amend the law related to the control of working & employment conditions in theatres, hotels, amusement parks, restaurants, and other entertainment buildings. The following section will walk you through some key details that will let you avail Shop and Establishment license in Ahmedabad with ease,
What is the role of the Shop and Establishment Act?
The Shop and Establishment Act administers anything related to the operation as well as the maintenance of business centers& outlets in India. Moreover, it has underpinned some mandatory norms to regulates the establishment like hotels, commercial institutions, charitable trusts, and associations. It also facilitates guidelines for working hours, hiring norms, holiday arrangements, leaves, and compensation. Thus, it can be concluded that a shop act license is mandatory for a business individual to run, manage as well as maintain their commercial establishment.
Read our article:A Guide on how to renew shop and establishment license in Mumbai
Who must seek a Shop and Establishment License in Ahmedabad?
Any shop or establishment which is engaged with a notified area of trade or services must seek for Shop and Establishment license in Ahmedabad. Such a license is mandatory for establishments like hotels, retail, shopping malls, supermarkets, retails, theatres, etc.
What type of documents are required to avail Shop and Establishment License in Ahmedabad?
Proof of Employer/ owner of Shop & establishment
- Identity Proof: Driving License, Voter ID, Aadhar Card, PAN Card, or any valid proof of owner’s identity/employer of shop & establishment.
- Address Proof: Voter ID, Aadhar Card, PAN Card, or any other valid proofs reflecting the address of the establishment.
Proof of property’s possession
- Proof regarding the establishment’s possession.
- Valid proof may be Additionallyproperty tax, electricity bill, rent agreement, Municipal Tax in case the property belongs to a different owner.
In Case of the Private Limited Company
- Charter of the company such as MOA/AOA
- Certificate of Incorporation, aka COI
- List of active directorsalong with their Identity Proofs
- Copy Of Resolution passed by the board reflecting mutual approval of board member regarding the Shop and Establishment license.
In the Case of the Partnership firm
- Partnership Deed duly signed and stamped by the concerned authority
- All The Partners’ ID as well as Address Proof
- Pan Card related to the Partnership Firm
In the case of Trust or Cooperative society or Independent body
- List of Trustees working in a Trust
- Copy related to the Establishment
- Resolution of Society /Trust
Online process to apply for Shop and Establishment license in Ahmedabad
- Visit- https://ahmedabadcity.gov.in/ from the web browser. It is an official portal of Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation.
- On the home page, move the cursor over the main menu and select Online services>Online service with login>Shops and Establishment
- Enter your login detail to enter the portal. In case of non-availability of login credentials, click on the “New user” link.
- Once you click the said link, a detailed webform shall prompt on your screen. The form generally seeks basic information such as name, address, personal details, and contact info from the applicant.
- After filling in the said details, enter the captcha and hit the submit tab.
- Next, go back to the login page as you did before and enter your newly created credential to get access to the portal.
- A webform shall prompt on your display seeking mandatory information from the applicant. You need to fill it aptly.
- Once done, upload the requested documentation in a permissible format as mentioned on the form.
- After Upload all necessary documents, head to the payment section to submit the prescribed fees. You can complete this action by choosing apt mode from the available payment options.
- Once done, the portal will forward the request to the concerned department for in-depth scrutiny.
- After successful verification, the authority will attach the certificate on the portal which users can easily access or download to take a print.
Make sure to affix the certificate within the establishment’s premises as it is mandated under the law.
Registration fees for availing Shop and Establishment License in Ahmedabad
Registration fees for obtaining a Shop and Establishment License in Ahmedabadhave been capped at Rs 1000/. Note: This is a single registration charge.
Renewal of the Shop and Establishment License
For the renewal procedure, the applicants are supposed to follow the given instructions.
- Navigate to https://ifp.gujarat.gov.in/DIGIGOV/ from your web browser.
- Next, fill the form, viz- ‘Renewal under Shops & Establishment’
- After entering the requested details, attach the mandatory documents as recommended by the Act.
- Next, complete the payment requirement.
- S&E inspector will scrutinize the application and the attached documents for authenticity.
- Once the verification is over, the Nodal officer uploads the approval certificate to the account of the applicant.
- After issuance of the certificate, the applicant can download the same from his/her account.
The renewal process should be performed within the prescribed time limit to avert the penalty. As of now, the applicants are also allowed to renew the license a day after the expiration of the erstwhile certificate.
Keep in touch with Corpbiz’s professional in case of any legal hindrance. The experts will be pleased to help you with the best of their experiences and knowledge.
Read our article:Procedure to Cancel Shop and Establishment Registration in India