The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is the regulatory body responsible for ensuring food safety and hygiene in India. In order to operate a food business in India, it is mandatory to obtain an FSSAI food license. This blog discusses about the details of FSSAI food License and its benefits along with the situations and procedure to surrender a FSSAI license.
What Is An FSSAI Food License?
An FSSAI food license is a legal permit issued by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India to food businesses operating in India. It is mandatory for all food business operators (FBOs) in India to obtain an FSSAI food license, irrespective of their size or turnover. The FSSAI food license is issued under three categories, namely – Basic, State, and Central. The category of the license depends on the size of the business and its annual turnover. Let’s take a closer look at each category:
- Basic FSSAI Food License – This license is for small food businesses with an annual turnover of up to Rs. 12 lakhs. It is issued by the local municipal authority or the Panchayat.
- State FSSAI Food License – This license is for medium-sized food businesses with an annual turnover of up to Rs. 20 crores. It is issued by the State Food Safety Department.
- Central FSSAI Food License – This license is for large food businesses with an annual turnover of over Rs. 20 crores. It is issued by the Central Food Safety Department.
How to Apply For an FSSAI Food License?
The application process for an FSSAI food license is simple and can be completed online. Here are the steps to apply for an FSSAI food license:
- Visit the FSSAI website and select the appropriate category of license (Basic, State or Central) based on your business turnover.
- Fill in the application form and upload the necessary documents, such as proof of identity, proof of address, and proof of business registration.
- Pay the application fee online.
- Once the application is submitted, an FSSAI inspector will conduct a physical inspection of the premises.
- Upon successful inspection, the FSSAI food license will be issued within 60 days.
What Are The Benefits Of Obtaining An FSSAI Food License?
- Legitimacy – An FSSAI food license lends credibility to your business and assures customers that you follow the highest standards of food safety and hygiene.
- Legal compliance – Operating a food business without an FSSAI food license is illegal and can result in hefty fines and even imprisonment.
- Improved quality control – Obtaining an FSSAI food license requires businesses to adhere to strict quality control measures, ensuring that the food served is of high quality and safe for consumption.
- Access to new markets – An FSSAI food license enables businesses to expand their operations and enter new markets, both within India and abroad.
Situations on Which FBO Has To Surrender A FSSAI License
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is responsible for regulating and supervising food safety in India. A FSSAI license is a mandatory requirement for any food business operator in India.
A FSSAI license may be surrendered voluntarily by a food business operator under certain circumstances, such as:
- Closure of the Business: If a food business operator decides to close down the business, they may choose to surrender their FSSAI license.
- Change in Ownership: If there is a change in ownership of the food business, the previous owner may surrender the FSSAI license.
- Non-Renewal: If a food business operator fails to renew their FSSAI license within the prescribed timeframe, the license may be surrendered.
- Violation of FSSAI Regulations: In case of serious or repeated violations of FSSAI regulations, the regulatory authority may request the food business operator to surrender their license.
In all of these scenarios, the food business operator must surrender their FSSAI license within the stipulated timeframe and comply with any additional requirements as mandated by the regulatory authority. Failure to do so may result in penalties and legal action.
Documents Required To Surrender A FSSAI License
If you wish to surrender a FSSAI license, you may need to provide the following documents:
- Application for surrender: You will need to submit an application to surrender a FSSAI license. The application should include details such as the license number, date of issue, and reason for surrender.
- Original FSSAI food license: You will need to submit the original FSSAI food license that was issued to you. Make sure that the license is not damaged or torn.
- Supporting documents: You may need to provide supporting documents such as a copy of the PAN card, GST registration, and other licenses or permits related to your food business.
- Declaration: You may also need to submit a declaration stating that you have complied with all the regulations and requirements of the FSSAI, and that you will not engage in any food-related activities after surrendering your license.
It is advisable to check with the FSSAI office in your area for specific requirements and procedures to surrender a FSSAI license.
Procedure to Surrender FSSAI License
To surrender a FSSAI license, you need to follow a few steps:
- Inform FSSAI: The first step is to inform the FSSAI about your intention to surrender a FSSAI license. You can do this by writing a letter to the FSSAI Licensing Authority with the details of your license, such as the license number, date of issue, and the reason for surrender a FSSAI License.
- Submit the original license: You need to submit the original FSSAI license along with the letter to the FSSAI Licensing Authority. Make sure to mention the reason for surrender a FSSAI License in the letter.
- Clearance certificate: You need to obtain a clearance certificate from the concerned authorities like the Pollution Control Board, Fire Safety Department, and Municipal Corporation before surrendering your license. The clearance certificate should state that there are no pending dues or issues related to the business.
- Surrender fee: You may be required to pay a surrender fee, which can vary depending on the FSSAI office and the type of license. You should contact the FSSAI office in your area to confirm the surrender fee.
- Acknowledgement: After you have submitted the letter, original license, clearance certificate, and surrender fee (if required), you will receive an acknowledgement from the FSSAI Licensing Authority. This will confirm that your license has been surrendered.
In summary, obtaining an FSSAI food license is mandatory for all food businesses operating in India. It not only ensures legal compliance but also lends credibility to the business and assures customers of the highest standards of food safety and hygiene. It is important to note that surrendering your FSSAI license does not absolve you of any liabilities or penalties that may have been imposed on you before the surrender. It is advisable to consult with a legal professional or FSSAI expert before surrendering your license.
Read Our Article: How To Apply For Transfer Of Food License/Registration?