FSSAI is a premier government institution that rolled out guidelines for FBOs in India. &At present, FBOs across India are mandated to comply with FSSAI’s guidelines and avail the food license. In this write-up, you will come across some mandatory documents required to obtain an FSSAI license in India.
An Overlook on FSSAI registration in India
Presently, FSSAI issues food licenses under these essential heads as shown below;
- Basic registration
- State FSSAI license
- Central FSSAI license
Basic registration is required by those FBOs whose yearly turnover is not higher than Rs 12 lakhs.
Meanwhile, the FSSAI State license is only available to those FBOs whose annual turnover falls between Rs 12 lakhs and Rs 20 crore.
And lastly, the central FSSAI license is accessible to those FBOs whose yearly revenue is above Rs 20 crore.
Now let’s move to the next section that briefs out the type of documents required for the FSSAI license.
A Close look at Documents required for the FSSAI License
The documentation required to avail of the FSSAI license differs in accordance with the type of license you required to run the business.
Basic FSSAI Registration
Central and State FSSAI Registration
- Latest photographs of the applicant;
- Applicant’s identification proof such as PAN, DL, Aadhaar Card, Voter ID, etc;
- Registration certification of the business.
- Form IX nominations
- A certificate reflecting the source of raw materials
- List of machinery and equipment available at the facility.
- Details of the products being manufactured at the facility.
- Letter of Authorization reflecting the name and address of the responsible person
- No-Objection Certificate issued by the respective municipal corporation.
- Detailed plan related to the Food Safety Management System i.e. FSMS
- A list of food items being processed or produced at the facility.
- Partnership deed in case the applicant belongs to a partnership firm.
- Trust deeds and trustees records if the applicant is from a registered trust.
- Memorandum of Association, Article of Association, certificate of incorporation, details of directors, in case the applicant belongs to MCA-registered firms such as a private limited company or public limited company.
- Members’ details in case of Co-operative society
- Start rating certificate issued by the Ministry of Tourism.
- In the case of the Co-operative Society, submit the basic details of all the members.
Once you arranged these fundamental documents, you can proceed to the FSSAI’s online portal (FosCos) for the submission of the e-form. If you are new to the portal then you have to create an account on the same. Once you create the account, head over to the left section on the home page and select the new application from the drop-down menu.
As soon as you open the e-form, you will be required to select the “state” in which your place of business resides, followed by the “kind of business” you are dealing with.
The next thing you need to do is to select the apt turnover limit of your business from the options prompted on the portal. This will open a detailed e-form on your screen.
Read our article:Procedure for Getting Online FSSAI Central License in India
The e-form would seek the following information from your side
- Applicant details
- Business details
- Address info
- Duration of the license (5 years is a max validity of an FSSAI License)
- Contact details
- Detail of food items proposed to be manufactured or sold
- Food Safety Mitra Detail, if applicable
- Other details such as the source of water supply and Electric power is used in the manufacturing facility.
After providing these details, tap on the “Save and Next” button to enter the next section where you are required to upload the aforesaid documents. Lastly, you are required to submit the online fee.
- The validity of the FSSAI license ranges between 1- 5 years.
- FosCos is the name of the portal which allows the e-form submission for a food license.
- The maximum fees for the FSSAI license have been capped at Rs 7500. Whereas the minimum fee for a basic license costs you around Rs 100. Keep in mind that the license fee also varies in accordance with the validity period.
- Adherence to FSSAI’s norms is a compulsion for FBOs. Any non-conformity to these guidelines could cost considerable penalties.
FSSAI license is an important requisite for carrying out a food business in India. Those who opt to undertake the food business without this license will be treated as a defaulter from a legal standpoint. Hence, averting legalities would not be a wise choice for someone who seeks viable growth in the future. Hope this write-up has given you ample information regarding the documentation part. You can ping us by dropping queries in case you need additional clarification on the same.
Read our article:How to Get FSSAI License in India: Full Guide