FSSAI License is an essential part of a food business. It is required to be obtained whether you are engaged in manufacturing, trading, distributing, retailing or storing in bulk any food products. However, there is an exemption provided to small food business operators, hawkers and other similar businesses to obtain a mandatory food license. We are going to learn more about food license and the eligibility criteria to get one in this article.
What is the FSSAI License?
The FSSAI or Food Safety and Standards Act have laid down standards for maintaining and ensuring safe and standard food distribution. FSSAI License is a way of the government to ensure that all those standards are being complied with. Additionally, the government, through the FSSAI License, keeps an eye on food adulteration and selling or distribution of substandard food items and ensures that it never occurs in the future.
The FSSAI License is a 14-digit registration or a license code which has to be printed on all the food packages and displayed in the business premise.
Need for FSSAI License
Every food business operator involved in the processing, manufacturing, storage, distribution or sale of food products must compulsorily obtain FSSAI Registration or License. Furthermore, FSSAI Registration is different from FSSAI License in the sense that depending on the size and nature of the business, FBO should obtain the necessary registration or License.
Types of FSSAI License
There are two kinds of food licenses in India. One is the FSSAI Registration, and the other is the FSSAI License. Furthermore, the FSSAI Basic Registration has to be obtained by small FBOs having a turnover up to Rs. 12 Lakhs. On the other hand, the FBOs having a turnover exceeding Rs. Twelve lakhs need to obtain FSSAI License. Moreover, the FSSAI License is further divided into two types, i.e. FSSAI State License and theFSSAI Central License.
Requirements for FSSAI Registration
FSSAI Registration is a basic license required by every small food-related business.
This category of food license covers the following businesses;
- An FBO with an annual turnover not more than Rs. 12 Lakhs
- Petty retailer dealing with food items
- Any individual who manufactures or sells any food article by himself
- Food sale is made or sold by temporary stallholders
- Any person who distributes food in any religious or social gathering except a caterer
FSSAI License Requirements
- FSSAI State License – is for the food license, business with turnover between Rs. 12 Lac to Rs. 20 Cr. annually or/additionally. The turnover limit is the same for an FSSAI State trading license or an FSSAI State Manufacturing license.
- FSSAI Central License – is for turnover above Rs. 20 Cr in Case of Manufacturing or Trading or Storage beyond specific limited as specified by the law.
Procedure for obtaining Food License
The process for obtaining the FSSAI License and Basic registration is given below. You need to follow the same steps to procure a food license as per the turnover of your business.
Procedure for procuring FSSAI Registration
You need to follow the forgiven steps to obtain a Basic Registration;
- Fill and submit the Form A to food and safety department
- Then, the application may be accepted, or the department may reject it within seven days from the application date and the fact has to be intimated to the applicant in writing
- In case the application is accepted, then the department will issue a registration certificate with the registration number and the photo of the applicant
- Furthermore, all FBOs should prominently display the certificate of registration at the place of business during the business hours
Read our article: A Full Guide on How to set up a Food Business in India
Procedure for obtaining central/ state FSSAI License
Moreover, the procedure to obtain an FSSAI State or Central License is as follows;
- To obtain an FSSAI License, the Food Business Operator shall make an application to the Licensing Authority via the FSSAI online registration process.
- This application is made in food license application Form B.
- The application must be annexed with self-declaration, affidavit, and Annexure as applicable.
- This certificate is issued for a period of 1 to 5 years as per the time limit requested by the food business operator.
- The application fees vary proportionally as per the period for which License is obtained
- The License can be renewed through an application.
Just Like You Need Certain Documents To Obtain Any Other License, You Need Various Documents To Obtain A Food License As Well. Let’s See What Documents You Need To Obtain The FSSAI Licence Or Registration.
Documents required for obtaining FSSAI registration
You need the following documents for getting the Basic Registration;
- Form B – completed and signed
- Photo Identity of FBO
- Proof of possession of premises (e.g. Rental Agreement).
- Partnership Deed / Certificate of Incorporation / Articles of Association etc
- List of food products to be dealt with
- System plan for Food safety management
Documents required for obtaining the state license
You need the following documents for getting the State License;
- Duly completed and signed Form B
- Plan of the processing unit indicating the dimensions and operation-wise area allocation
- List of Directors/ Partners/ Proprietor with their contact details, address, and photo Identity proof.
- Name and list of machinery and equipment used along with the number and installed capacity.
- List of food category to be manufactured
- Authority letter from manufacturer nominated a responsible person name and address
- The analysis report of water to be used in the process to confirm the portability
- Proof of possession of the premises
- Partnership deed or the affidavit of proprietorship
- No Objection Certificate and copy of License from the manufacturer
- Copy of certificate obtained under the Co-operative Act 1861/Multi state Coop Act 2002
- Food safety management system Certificate.
Documents required for obtaining the Central License
You need the following documents for getting the Central License;
- Duly filled and signed Form B
- The idea of the processing unit showing the dimensions and operation-wise area allocation
- List of Directors or Partners or Proprietor with address, contact details, and photo ID
- Name and inventory of types of equipment and machinery used with the number and installed capacity
- List of food categories that are to be manufactured.
- Authority letter from manufacturer nominating a responsible person name and address
- The analysis report of water to be used in the process to confirm the portability
- The source of raw material like milk, meat etc.
- Ministry of Commerce Certificate for 100% EOU
- NOC/PA document issued by FSSAI
- Import Export Code issued by DGFT (Directorate General of Foreign Trade).
- Form IX
- A Certificate from the Ministry of Tourism
- Proof of possession of the premises.
- Partnership deed or the affidavit of the proprietorship.
- NOC (No objection Certificate) and copy of License from the manufacturer.
- Food safety management system Certificate
- NOC from the municipality or local body
- Relating document for proof of turnover and transportation
- Declaration form
The difference between FSSAI License and FSSAI Registration
|Difference||FSSAI License||FSSAI Registration|
|Regulated By||Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India||Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India|
|Types||Central FSSAI and State FSSAI License||Basic Registration|
|Issue type||14 digit registered number||14 digit registered number|
|Duration||Is Issued for a period of 1 to 5 years||Depends on the registration applicability|
|Publication Condition||The publication of license number on product is necessary for the exporter, importer, traders||The registration shall be displayed in the office premises and on the package of the product|
|Application Form||Form B||Form A|
|Renewal||Can be renewed before 30 days of expiry||N/A|
The FSSAI License or FSSAI registration is basically the type of Food License in India. Furthermore, you need to carefully choose the type of License for your food license at the time of applying for obtaining one. However, you don’t need to apply for a food license if your Food Business comes under the exempted category of food businesses by the government.
Read our article: How to Obtain an FSSAI License in India: Full Guide