The demand for air-conditioners is high in the Indian market, given how harsh and unforgiving summer can get in India. Given the high demand, there are many players in the market manufacturing and selling air-conditioners. As a manufacturer in a competitive market, it is imperative to stand out from others in a way that instils confidence in the brand and ensures customer loyalty. Obtaining a BIS ISI Certification for Ducted and Package Air Conditioners is a good way to provide credibility to one’s product in terms of quality, safety, and other standards.
There are many BIS ISI Certifications for air conditioners depending on the type of air conditioner. Room air conditioners (split) are covered under IS 1392 (part-2):2018, whereas room air conditioners (unitary) are covered under IS 1391 (part-1):2017. The ducted and package air conditioners are covered under IS 8148:2018 standard.
An Overview of IS 8148:2018 Standard for Ducted and Package Air Conditioners
Package air conditioners have all important components, like the compressor, cooling coil, air handling unit and air filter, all housed in a single casing and are assembled at the factory. Ducted and package air conditioners are available in capacities of three, five, seven, ten and fifteen tons and are mostly used in enclosed spaces or rooms like, inter alia, homes, restaurants, small halls.
IS 8148:2018 standard for ducted and package air conditioners cover the performance and structural requirement and the parameters on which air conditioners with nominal cooling capacities of 10000 W and above. They operate “non-frosting” when dehumidifying and cooling under standard rating conditions.
The ducted and package air conditioners can be classified into three major categories based on their functions and construction:
- Ducted and package air conditioners with water-cooled condensers for cooling only
- Ducted and package air conditioners with air-cooled condensers for cooling only
- Ducted and package air conditioners with air-cooled condensers for cooling and heating
To obtain a BIS Certificate, the manufacturer of ducted and package air conditioners should ensure that the product meets the necessary structural and performance standards. The standard requires that air conditioners be sturdy and durable enough to withstand normal usage, handling, and transportation. When the product is installed according to the instructions of the manufacturer, parts which require frequent cleaning must be accessible, parts shall be designed in a manner to avoid failure due to fatigue and shall be arranged in a manner that excessive vibrations, if any, do not get transferred from one part to another. While applying for the license, the manufacturer shall provide details as to the product type, construction, function, and cooling capacity intended to be covered under the license.
What is a BIS Certificate?
The BIS is a national certification body in India which operates under the MCA, Food & Public Distribution. It promotes & regulates standards of goods & products in India. However, BIS Certification in India is optional for many products/items, the Indian Government has mandated that some products/items require BIS Certifications for the products to be imported/exported/sold in the markets in India. BIS Certification ensures certain standards of quality, safety & reliability of the products/items on which the ISI mark is affixed. The Bureau of Indian Standards Certification permits manufacturers to affix the ISI mark, which shows that the products/items meet the requisite BIS standards.
There are several benefits of obtaining a BIS Certification:
- Ensures high safety & quality standards as BIS-authorised products require adherence to certain standards.
- Ensure that products/items cause minimal environmental damage, as the Bureau of Indian Standards prohibits the usage of some pollution-causing materials.
- Since the products get BIS Certification, which is a nationally recognized certificate, it lends authenticity & reliability to the products. It also aids the brand gain global recognition.
- It promotes the brand of the company & instils customer trust and loyalty to the brand, as BIS Certifications ensure high standards of quality & safety to its users.
- Allows manufacturers uninterrupted manufacture & sale of their products in the Indian market.
Tests Involved in Getting BIS ISI Certification for Ducted and Package Air Conditioners
There are majorly three tests involved while assessing ducted and package air conditioners for BIS ISI Registration:
- Type Test
- Production Routine Test
- Pressure or leakage test
- Running test
- Earth continuity test
- Maximum operating conditions test
- Electric strength test
- Acceptance Test
Documents Required for Obtaining BIS ISI Certification for Ducted and Package Air Conditioners
Following are the crucial documents required to obtain a BIS ISI Certification for ducted and package air conditioners:
- Identity proof & address proof of the applicant
- Name & address of the office & factory
- Documents specifying the establishment of the manufacturing unit like, inter alia, Certificate of Incorporation (CoI), MOA
- MSME/SSI certificate, if applicable
- The manufacturing process flow covers all procedures from the raw material stage to the final product stage.
- A detailed list of manufacturing machinery, along with machinery information
- Details or information on outsourcing, if any, of the manufacturing process of the concerned product
- List of testing facilities & equipment & copies of certificates of testing equipment.
- Laboratory test report following ISI standards.
- Layout & map the location plan of the factory and the premise
- In-house/independent test report, if applicable
- If a certified signatory signs the application, authorization by the CEO in this regard
- If the manufacturer is a foreign entity/applicant, then the nomination information of the All-India Representative (AIR) & the nomination form, along with an undertaking and affidavit by the AIR.
Procedure Involved in Getting BIS ISI Certification for Ducted and Package Air Conditioners
Following is the procedure involved in getting a BIS ISI Certification for ducted and package air conditioners:
- Nomination of All India Representative
For a Foreign or Overseas Manufacturer with a branch office in India, the Authorised Indian Representative shall be the manufacturer herself. However, for a Foreign or Overseas Manufacturer without a liaising office in India, the Authorised Indian Representative can be a local trader, importer/Indian subsidiary, if any, of such a manufacturer. The format for the nomination letter for Authorised Indian Representativecan be found in Form-IV.
- Create an Account on the BIS portal
This account shall be used to apply & provide for all vital documents required for applying for a BIS Certificate.
- Product Testing
The products are to be tested using the above tests in a BIS-authorized lab to check whether the Indian Standards are met by the product/item or not, and a test report is to be prepared. This test report shall be valid for 3 months.
- Application Filling
The applicant or the manufacturer must fill out the requisite form & submit it along with the important documents to the authority & pay the requisite fees and other charges. While filling out the application for Certification, the applicable IS for ducted and package air conditioners IS 8148:2018 is to be selected.
- Provide Information
The manufacturer or the applicant is to provide the requisite details regarding raw materials, machinery & manufacturing process & upload the test reports provided by 3rd party labs authorized by ISI/by an in-house lab on the factory units or premises. Also, provide information of the in-house testing facility available.
Once the application with the requisite documents is obtained by the BIS, it sends its team of experts to visit the manufacturing unit or premise & conduct all the crucial tests to check for compliance with the ISI standards.
After the inspection, a BIS officer verifies the documents and the test report.
- Grant of Certificate
Once the officer is satisfied with the inspection and verification of the report and the essential documents, the product is granted a BIS ISI Certification for Ducted and Package Air Conditioners and the manufacturer is now permitted to use the ISI mark on her products.
The complete process of testing, BIS assessment of the application, documents, test reports and the final grant of certificate for BIS ISI Registration can take up to thirty-five to forty-five days.
Validity of BIS ISI Certification for Ducted and Package Air Conditioners
A BIS ISI Certification for ducted and package air conditioners is initially granted for a period of one year and can be extended for a time period of 2 years from the date of receipt of the certificate and the same can be renewed if there is no change in the product specifications. The subsequent BIS ISI certificate granted for the renewal shall be valid for a period of 1 to 5 years from the date of receipt of the BIS Certificate. The BIS Certificate is subject to the applicable licensing & surveillance fee. If the application for the renewal of BIS ISI Certification of the product is made after the validity period, a prescribed late fee shall also be filed together with the BIS application.
As manufacturers of ducted and package air conditioners, it is prudent to obtain a BIS ISI Certificate to freely manufacture, store, sell, import, or export one’s products in the Indian market. The BIS Certificate also gives the brand an edge over other brands as the ISI mark lends credibility to the product, ensures high standards of quality and safety, increases the goodwill of the brand, and thus instils customer loyalty and confidence in the brand.
Read Our Article: BIS ISI Certification for Red Phosphorus – An Overview