Red Phosphorus is one of the most vital raw materials used in the manufacture of safety matches. It is also used in appreciable quantities in metallurgy & for the manufacture of fireworks. Though the present indigenous requirements for this vital material are met by imports, efforts are being made to start its manufacture in India. Red Phosphorus is covered under IS 2012:2006. This Standard specifies the requirements and the sampling & testing methods for Red Phosphorus, which is suited for the match industry and general industrial applications. In this write-up, we will discuss how to get BIS ISI Certification for Red Phosphorus.
Importance of BIS ISI Certification in India
BIS ISI Certification plays an essential role in the Indian Market. The Importance of BIS Certification can’t be ignored by the owner of the business. Having this Certification for any product or item means that the product has been thoroughly gone through various tests and has been certified by BIS or the Bureau of Indian Standards that such product is safe for use & no harmful substance has been found in the product.
Customers trust BIS because its 1st priority is to keep customers healthy & protect them from hazardous products or items and act as a safeguard for the customers. Also, customers rely more on those products which are BIS-certified. BIS Certificate helps all manufacturers to make a profitable business in the market. It also gives an advantage over those manufacturers that don’t have a BIS Certificate for their products. BIS Certificate manufacturers can go for a long in the Indian Market.
Packing, Marking and Testing of Red Phosphorus
- Packing: The material shall be packed in an air-tight container. Unless otherwise agreed to between the purchaser and the vendor, containers shall have a nominal capacity of 5 KG & 50 KG, the 5 KG container being tin-plated & 50 KG container being lined with an adequate polyethene liner (not less than 0.1 mm thick).
- Each container shall be clearly
marked with the following details:
- Name of the material;
- Month & year of manufacture;
- Name of the Manufacturer & recognised Trademark, if any;
- The net mass of the material in the container;
- Caution label “Flammable” with a suitable symbol for labelling dangerous goods.
- The product may also be marked with the Standard Mark.
- The use of the Standard Mark is governed by the provisions of the BIS Act, 1986 and Rules & Regulations made thereunder. The details of conditions under which the License for the use of the Standard Mark may be granted to the actual manufacturers or producers may be obtained from the BIS.
test shall be carried out for Red Phosphorus:
- Free Moisture
- White Phosphorus
- Matter Soluble in water.
- Each container shall be clearly marked with the following details:
General Requirements of Sampling of Red Phosphorus
The following are the requirements for sampling of Red Phosphorus:
- Precautions shall be taken to protect the product samples, the material being sampled, and the instrument for sampling and the containers for samples from adventitious contamination;
- The samples shall be placed in dry, clean, air-tight glass or other appropriate containers on which the material has no action;
- Samples shall be stored in such a way that the temperature of the material doesn’t vary unduly from normal atmospheric temperature;
- To draw a representative sample, the contents of each container selected for product sampling shall be mixed as completely as possible by suitable means;
- Samples of the product shall be taken in a protected place;
- Each sample container shall be air-tight sealed with a stopper after filing & marked with full details of the materials & the date of sampling;
- For sampling, an aluminium sample thief shall be used and it shall be dry & clean;
- The product sample containers shall be of such a size that they are completely filled by the sample.
Documents Required for BIS ISI Certification for Red Phosphorus
Following is the list of all crucial documents required for BIS ISI Certification for Red Phosphorus:
- The address proof of the manufacturing unit;
- Applicant id proof;
- Certified copy of the sample reports from BIS-certified labs;
- The factory layout;
- Copy of the latest utility bills such as electricity, water, or gas bill, etc.;
- Documents for authorising the Authorised Indian Representative (AIR) for Foreign Manufacturers only;
- Details of the raw materials;
- Flowchart of the entire manufacturing process;
- Proof of establishment of the business – Incorporation Certificate in case of Companies, Partnership Deed in case of Partnership Firm & PAN Card in case of Sole Proprietor.
- Details of the equipment used for testing product samples;
- A copy of the Trademark Registration Certificate;
- Detailed information regarding names, qualifications & experience of the factory staff.
Procedure for BIS ISI Certification for Red Phosphorus
Following is the step-by-step online procedure for BIS ISI Certification for Red Phosphorus:
- Filing Application: The Manufacturer must file the application at the official website of the BIS. But before filing the application, the applicant needs to create a valid used Id and password.
- Documentation: After filing the application online, then you need to arrange all the vital documents and submit them along with the application.
- Factory Inspection: Then, the BIS Officials will visit the factory premises and they shall observe & record their findings on the product quality, in-house testing facilities & the manufacturing process. They shall also draw out some random product samples for quality check & submit them to the BIS.
- Product Testing: The Manufacturer should also get their product samples tested at a 3rd party BIS recognised lab & the report for the same.
- Submission: Once all the above steps are completed, the applicant must attach the documents along with the application & test reports and send them to the Bureau of Indian Standards.
- Examination of Application: After submission, the BIS Officials will verify and examine the details in the application. The BIS Officials shall also check the results generated from the 3rd party BIS Official.
- Grant of Certificate: If the Bureau of Indian Standards finds the test reports, application, and documents satisfactory, then the Manufacturer shall be given the BIS grant the BIS ISI Certification for Red Phosphorus.
Note: BIS ISI Certification for Red Phosphorus is valid for 2 years, after which the Manufacturer must renew the BIS ISI Certification for Red Phosphorus.
The Standard Mark (ISI Mark) shall be marked on each packing of the product, given that the product thus marked meets all the specifications requirements. The Manufacturer must get a BIS License to use an ISI Mark. The Bureau of Indian Standards/BIS issues a License based on a successful assessment of manufacturing infrastructure, quality control & testing capabilities & production process.
Read Our Article:An Overview of ISI Certification Procedure