India is a vast marketplace for electronic products. Every year millions of products, including AC, printers, Televisions, etc., are being sold at an unprecedented scale, ensuring massive profits for the OEMs. But most of us are unaware that most of these products adhere to lower efficacy, which further translates to higher power consumption. This is a serious subject matter for those more concerned about their energy expenses. Also, devices that consume power above the permissible limit are less likely to sustain longer. This is where BEE registration comes into play. It mandates OEMs to manufacture energy-efficient products without compromising the overall quality. Every television OEM must align with BEE guidelines irrespective of their operation or production volume. This write-up briefs the process of BEE Registration for Color Television manufacturers.
What Is The Role Of Star Rating In BEE Registration?
Star rating refers to a standard mark (comprising stars, from 1 to 5) that is affixed on the qualified product under BEE registration. The use of star ratings is allowable for non-registered entities. Star rating implies the energy-efficacy potential of a given product through the manifestation of the star (s), ranging from 1 to 5. The higher star rating ensures that the product is highly energy efficient. The star rating on products also implies that the manufacturer has availed of the BEE registration for the same.
Step By Step Process of BEE Registration for Color Television
The BEE registration process comprises three vital phases, namely-Company registration, Product testing, and Model registration. The following section discusses these phases in detail.
Phase 1: Company Registration
The BEE registration process initiates with the company registration formalities. This step involves online application filing followed by sharing hardcopy originals with the Bureau of Energy Standards. Common documents required for company registration include a Trademark certificate, ISO 9001 certificate, COI, authorization letter, etc. The standard registration fees for securing BEE registration are as follows:
- Rs 1,00,000 (for large scale organization)
- Rs 25,000 (for small-scale organization)
Phase 2: Testing
Once the bureau approves the company registration application, login details shall be shared with the applicant over the registered email id. The applicant must use these credentials to log into the portal and fill out the model registration application. But before doing so, the applicant must send their product samples to the NABL-certified lab for testing.
Before accepting the test result, verify that the test report is printed in the BEE-recommended format enclosing all the underlying parameters. Once the lab report is generated, proceed with model registration without delay because the test report has a max validity of 90 days.
Phase 3: Model Registration
Model registration is the final step in this process. For this, the applicant must visit the BEE portal and file out the e-application as required. During online filing, an applicant should upload the mandatory documents, including the test report, in the required format. After this, the portal will redirect the applicant to the payment gateway for the submission of the fee, which is Rs 2000 as per BEE norms.
Key Points to Ponder Concerning BEE Registration for Color Television
Following are some key points regarding BEE Registration for Color Television:
- BEE grants its certification under two different schemes, namely-Mandatory Registration and Voluntary Registration.
- Products like Color TVs, LED lamps, Direct cool refrigeration, and so on fall under the Mandatory Registration Scheme. Likewise, products like such as washing machines, ceiling fans, laptops, etc., come under the Voluntary registration scheme. Make sure to go through the list before indulging in a registration process.
- Every qualified product must highlight the star rating through the labelling, as proposed by the BEE.
- Application rejection isn’t rare in the BEE registration process. The authority will share the root cause of the cancellation with the applicant over the registered email id. A standard duration will be granted to the applicant to rectify the errors.
- Every registration holder, be it a manufacturer, brand owner, or retailer, must tag their products with star labelling as proposed by BEE’s norms. Failure to do so can incur severe penalties for defaulters.
- BEE registration validity differs product-wise and remains in effect for a set duration as underpinned by the authority. As the time of expiration comes nearer, the manufacturer has two options, either to intact their existing rating by adhering to new rules or degrade the star rating of their products.
The BEE Registration for Color Television is a mandatory legal permit. Trading or manufacturing of the product(s) falling under a mandatory registration scheme cannot come into effect in the absence of BEE registration. Performing such activities without registration can land the owner in the penalty zone. It is a challenge for OEMs to maintain the highest star rating long as they have to incorporate changes into their product(s) to survive the competition. Oftentimes, some changes lead to higher power consumption. In that case, they have to adjust their star rating to avert significant penalties. Maintaining compliance with BEE norms is a professional approach that requires continual tracking and a deep understanding of the ever-changing standards.
Read Our Article:BEE Registration Process in India: Explained