The Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rule, 2011 is related to the manufacture, sale, retail, import, and distribution of pre-packed or packaged commodities. This Rule governs the packaging and labeling of commodities.
Under Rule 27 of Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rule, 2011, the procedure for registration of importers is provided. The registration is mandatory and binding on the importers of the commodities.
This rule came into force on 1st April 2011.
All the products that are packed in a packet, package, or container and have the weight of 10g/10ml-50kg are called packaged commodities and are covered under the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rule, 2011.
The objective of Packaged Commodity Rule
The main objective of this Rule is to ensure and maintain the uniformity of the labels according to the standard rules given under this Act so that the interest of the consumer is protected and safeguarded.
The Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rule has made mandatory provisions for registration, declaration, or licensing to enforce these rules.
Rule 27 of Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rule,2011
Rule 27 is covered under Chapter VI of the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rule,2011, which talks about the Registration of Manufacturers, importers, and packers.
A notification published on 7th March 2011 under the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rule, 2011 states that any individual, firm, company, corporation, Hindu undivided family or society who or which wants to pre-pack or import commodity for sale, delivery, or distribution needs to file an application to the Director or Controller along with a fee of Rs. 500/-, for registration of his or its name and complete address.
The manufacturers, importers, or packers shall apply within 90 days of commencement of the packaging procedure.
If someone contravenes the provisions of Rule 27, then he shall be punished with a fine of Rs. 4000/-.
Application for registration under Rule 27
- The manufacturer, importer, or packer needs to apply to the Director of Legal Metrology of Government of India at New Delhi or Controller of Legal Metrology of State or UTs.
Note: It is suggested to apply at the headquarter in New Delhi. The registration will be valid in the whole of India.
The requirement of the application:
- The name
- The complete address of the place where pre-packaging and import of commodity takes place
- The details of the commodities being packed
- If the application is considered incomplete, it will be returned within seven working days of receipt of the application.
- If the application is complete, then the applicant will be granted a Registration Certificate by the Director or Controller.
- For any alteration in the Registration Certificate, the applicant has to provide details of change along with a fee of Rs.100/- to the Director or Controller of Legal Metrology.
Key points to remember while applying for registration
- Entire documentation needs to be self-attested by the applicant.
- All the documents should be in pdf format with a size up to 2 MB.
- The photographs should be in passport size and jpg format only.
- If the application is not filed within the 90days of commencement of the packaging procedure, then a late fee of Rs. 5000/-.
Mandatory Documents to be uploaded
- The License of trade/manufacture/factory, etc., issued by MCD/NMDC/DDA, etc. If such a License is not available, then an undertaking as an affidavit is required stating that the place is not sealed by MCD nor located in non-conforming areas.
- Residential Address proof
- GST/Sales Tax Registration
- Passport size photograph
- Memorandum of Association of Company, and if Partnership Firm then partnership deed.
After submitting the application with the required fee, the Legal Metrology Officer visits and inspects the place. If the place is found as per the guidelines, he will ask the competent authority to grant registration through the authorized Zonal Officer.
After the grant of registration, an automatic e-mail and SMS is sent to the applicant on the registered mobile number, and the applicant can download it or take a printout of it. The competent authority digitally signs the Registration Certificate.
Registration of shorter address
Any manufacturer, importer, or packer can apply for registration with a shorter version of his address along with the complete address. If the Director or the Controller is satisfied that the shorter address is enough to identify such a manufacturer, importer, or packer, he shall grant the Registration Certificate.
If the shorter address is registered, then it is lawful for the manufacturer, importer, or packer to mention the shorter address on the label of each commodity.
Rule 27 of Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rule,2011 gives the procedure for the registration of manufacturers, importers, and packers. They should apply to the Director or Controller for the Registration Certificate with all the required documents along with the requisite fee. The registration can be done with the shorter version of the address if the complete address is too lengthy, and after approval of the shorter address, it is lawful to use the shorter address on the labels of the commodities.
Read our Article:How to obtain Repairer license under Legal Metrology Act?