FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India and it is an autonomous body solely responsible to come up with guidelines for safeguarding the public health by ensuring food safety. FSSAI is established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006, sections 31(1) and 31(2). It is a department under the Ministry of Health & Welfare, Govt. of India which aims to protect the health and wellbeing of the citizens. FSSAI is given the responsibility to issue a license to the business operators after they get themselves registered under the FSSAI. Therefore, the owner is obligated to obtain the license for the registration process to get the registered or head office under FSSAI and follow the whole procedure as has been given in this article.
Food Safety Management System Based on HACCP
To give guarantee for food safety, these Food enterprises should implement an efficient Food Safety Management System (FSMS) which is based on Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) and other appropriate requirement programs by vigorously controlling hazards in the food chain process starting from production of food till final consumption of food item. Any Food Business Operator planning to open a Registered Office or Head Office under FSSAI needs to register itself with FSSAI by submitting the required documents and following the proper procedure.
Registration for Opening a Registered Office or Head Office under FSSAI
Any business which deals with the process of production, storing, trading, sale and distributing food or dealing with any one of them then the business operator of such enterprise must mandatorily apply for FSSAI license and get itself registered. When the Food Business Operator is having food business activities in two or more states then:-
- Such Food Business Operators will have to declare one of the offices which they shall decide to make it as Registered Office or Head Office under FSSAI.
- Also, such Food Business Operators having office in more than one State should mandatorily require Central FSSAI License.
How will the Food Business Operators apply to register their Registered/Head Office under FSSAI?
- FSSAI gives opportunity to Food Business Operators (FBOs) to apply for Registration through online Registration System on Food Licensing & Registration System (FLRS).
- It also gives an option to the FBOs to have a check and track their status of application.
- The FBOs have to submit the print out of the online application form and other required documents to the Regional Authority/State Authority. This submission has to be done within fifteen days from the online submission of application. (This applies only in case of FSSAI State License)
- In case of State License for Delhi and Central License, all the documents have to be uploaded online without any requirement for submitting it physically.
- Choosing the type of business and the required license accordingly is the decision of FBO.
The FSSAI license is a 14-digit numeric license number or a registration number that is printed on all the food packages as dealt by the business enterprise or printed on the food premises. This registration procedure is intended to make the Food Business Operators responsible and more answerable to preserve and maintain the quality and safety of the food products.
The List of Specific Documents required while Registering for Head Office under FSSAI
- Directors list with complete contact details and full address compulsory in case of companies.
- I.D. proof, Photo and address as issued by the Government authority of proprietor, partner, director if any or an Authorized Signatory.
- Evidence of any document which proves the possession of premises rented like a rent agreement or Sale deed.
- Partnership Deed, Articles of Association and Memorandum of Association if any towards the incorporation of the company. While uploading MoA – Certification of incorporation, Authorization of food business activity and list of directors with addresses has to be uploaded.
- The recall plans of the enterprise with details about which the product is circulated.
- Copy of License and NOC from the manufacturer.
Types of Registration for the Head Office / Registered Office are given below
There are two kinds of registration which the business enterprise opening up registered Office or head Office under FSSAI has to do which will totally depend on their location and annual turnover. The types of registration are:
- State License – If the registered Office or the head Office under FSSAI has the annual turnover of the business which is between 12 to 20 crores then the Head Office under FSSAI shall apply for State license Form B
- Central License – If the turnover of the registered Office or Head Office under FSSAI is above 20 crores then it shall apply for Central License Form B. Also, if the Registered Office or the Head Office has set up its branch in more than one state it needs to get the Central License.
What are the Benefits of Registering with FSSAI?
Validity Period of FSSAI Registration
- The validity period of the so granted FSSAI licenses issued to Registered or Head Office under FSSAI will be from 1 to 5 years as the Business Enterprise would chose.
- The renewal of the existing license should be done within 30 days so as to avoid the expiry and avail the continual of the license.
- A fine of Rs.100 per day shall be imposed for Non-renewal of licenses until the renewal is done.
- Any lapse in renewal within the fixed time can cause the deactivation of the old license and then the head Office/Registered Officewill have to apply for a fresh license.
- Thus, if a Registered or Head Office or abusiness entity is functioning without applying for the Food Safety certificate then that will be a punishable offence and they will be liable for imprisonment or a fine up to Rs. 5 lakhs.
It has become very important for Registered or Head Office to obtain the FSSAI License in order to run their business proficiently and in compliance with the law. It is equally important to have the knowledge about all the required documents to obtain the FSSAI License which has been clearly provided above in this article.
Therefore, the Registered or Head Office under FSSAI has to submit the correct documents as in accordance with the State/Central category and also according to the kind of food business they are dealing with. After complying with the documents submission and registration they would be issued the FSSAI Registration License.