There are numerous reasons to make changes in the name, for instances, individual inclination, and change in the religion, marriage, modification or alteration of the names as a result on an advice of numerological experts.
Making changes in name can also mean adding the word to a current name, making changes in spelling, change in the surname and so forth. The only condition applicable for an eligibility to file name change affidavit is that an applicant requires being 18 years of age to make changes in one’s own name.
Main Steps Involved for Change in Name
Types of Name Change Affidavit for Name Correction
There are various types of name change affidavit. Affidavits can be utilized according to each applicant’s purpose, which are written below:-
One Person many names Affidavit
This type of affidavit is considered as the multi-name affidavit. It occupies applicant who has diverse names within the documents, and need to offer evidence that each of names belongs to the same and one single person only.
Name Change Affidavit
The affidavit is used legally make changes in a name in each document and also for publishing the notification in the Gazette of India.
Name Change after Marriage
The affidavit can be used of by the woman applicant looking for the changes in their last name after marriage and then the same get published in other types of documents.
Name change for Minors
The affidavit requires to be filled in cases of change of name in minors. The affidavit requires to be presented by the parents or guardians. The other procedures will remain the same.
Name change on Passport
- Annexure D is made for name change affidavit in passport, particularly changes with regard to the name of the woman applicant after marriage. Along these, in the event that one can make changes in last name by birth in a passport
- Annexure E is made for passport name correction affidavit irrespective of whether it is major or minor change. However in the event that one will get a name changed in the passport
Read our article:Detailed Process of LLP Name Change in India
Procedure for Name Change in India
Firstly, the Name change Affidavit submission and then an announcement published in the newspaper and a notification published in the Gazette of India. The name change procedure involves following steps. Also an applicant required to submit certain documents attested by the Judicial Magistrate/Notary.
Step 1: To Create a Name Change Affidavit
Make an affidavit and this affidavit must include details such as the old name, proposed new name, the reason for name change (marriage, legal, numerology, etc) and address. Print an affidavit on a stamp paper and get it duly signed by two witnesses. Visit notary to notarize the affidavit.
Step 2: To Place an Advertisement
Afterwards, you need to publish an advertisement about a name change in any local and any national newspaper. A sample of the advertisement has to be attached in the files section.
Step 3: Gazette Publication- Name Change Gazette Procedure
Submit an application and documents for publication of name change in Official Gazette to Department of Publication. Publication of name change will be made in the Official Gazette within 7 days from the application.
Documents Required for Name Change
- An affidavit on the stamp paper, minimum value must be of Rs.10.
- The original newspaper cutting ofa name change advertisement
- A prescribed performa in printed format duly signed by the applicant and two witnesses.
- Two passport size photographs
- Photocopies of valid ID proof (PAN card, passport or Aadhaar card)
- A CD with a soft copy of an application in .docx format duly filled.
- A letter stating that content in the hard & soft copy of the application is true.
- A request letter along with registration fee to an authority
How to Create a Name Correction Affidavit?
The name change has a three stage procedure to change name that can be done in less time if it is carried out reasonably. The well known essentential step towards the procedure for preparing of an affidavit for change of name. Initially, one has have to create an affidavit and swear in front of a magistrate or a notary. One must print it on a relevant non-judicial stamp paper for name change affidavit.
How to Make Name Change Affidavit Legally Enforceable?
Sometimes it might be difficult to take appointment from a magistrate, one can contact a notary to get signature, which is similarly valid. Take out the print of the content on a stamp paper of the needed value and have it being sealed by a notary. The employees of the central government can submit the deed for name change in accordance with the “OM No. 190016/1/87-Estt -12.03.1987″ of the Ministry of Home Affairs, .
The deed require to be written on a plain paper being signed and stamped with rubber stamp by two witnesses having the rank of a gazetted officer of a similar department. However, Indians who are living abroad, they can submit the deed which is attested duly by a respective Indian High Commission or Indian Embassy. It is the most important phase with regard to the procedure of name change.
Publishing in the News Paper
Newspaper advertisement is a part of the procedure. The advertisement goes out in one national newspaper. Also, its recommended to retain copies of a published newspaper for future reference. After notarization of an affidavit for name difference, the following step to make publication of the name change in 2 local newspapers.
- One of classified needs to be in a daily local language newspaper of the state.
- The second of classified ought to be published in the local level English Newspaper.
Publishing in the State Gazette
In a few states, one the change in name being published within the official gazette of the state. It is not a statutory prerequisite in terms of few states. Central Gazette is a better option to publish your name change advertisement and for government employees, it is a mandatory step.
For example, in Karnataka, the publication of the gazette with regard to changes in name is applicable is only to the government employees of the state. You must contact the publication controller of the governmental press within the state and have details on the process. One need to create certain essential records alongside an original affidavit for name correction to have details being published in the next following issue of a gazette.
- One has to provide a duplicate copy of an affidavit for name mismatch, duplicate copies of publication made in any newspaper, ID and address proofs, passport photos and the fees applicable.
- According to timelines, it will notified regarding the name change by getting it published in a gazette. Keep a gazette copy for purposes of reference.
Making changes in the original name is now considered to be very common and is seen throughout India. However, people may not know aware of the options which are available so they think that the procedure for name change is just tiresome and tedious. In fact, name change is not that bothersome, especially when Corpbiz professionals are around.
Read our article:Change in the Name of the Company: Step by Step Procedure