Plastic has been in use since it first came into existence; keeping in mind its extended use, it has bagged the tag of a threatening material and needs to be addressed appropriately. The issue arising in Plastic Industry cannot be solved in a day. It would require continuous efforts by all people. Plastic waste harms the environment, which comes from land-based activities. This blog will discuss the analysis of Plastic Waste Management rules and the Plastic Waste Management Registration process.
Plastic as a substance is not an issue, the issue is how to manage the waste of Plastic. As per innumerable surveys conducted, India generates 15 million tons of plastic waste every year, but only one-fourth of the Plastic is recycled due to the scarcity of working solid waste management systems. This has resulted in burdening on the waste disposal and poor socio-economic conditions of the waste pickers, mostly women. To improve the management of plastic recycling, the PWM rules came into existence. The Plastic Waste Management (PWM) Rules, 2016 describes that Urban Local Authorities should administer that noone can use less than 50 microns thick plastic bags. Also, nobody is allowed to use recycled plastics to pack food items, including beverages.
Types of Plastics requiring Plastic Waste Management Registration certificate-
Below mentioned are the plastics that require Plastic Waste Management Regulations-
- Polyethylene Terephthalate (PETE)
- High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC – U)
- Polypropylene (PP)
- Polystyrene or Styrofoam (PS)
- Low-Density Polyethylene (LDPE)
Registration to be Granted under Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2020
- As per the Plastic Waste Management rules, 2020, the registration is to be granted to the PIBOs (Producers, brand owners, or importers). The registration would remain valid for one year. Before updating the registration, make sure that the registration would stand right for three years and be done as per the manner prescribed under PWM rules.
- The PIBO shall apply for Plastic Waste Management registration, and the applicant will receive the registration certificate within seven days.
- The authority to issue the Plastic Waste Management Registration certificate vests with the member secretary of the Central Pollution Control Board. CPCB would be the authority to administer it, and the divisional head would be the signatory.
- Once the PWM registration certificate is issued, the copy of the registration certificate marking the grant of registration must be submitted along with the EPR action plan to the State Pollution Control Board concerned in this regard. Also, it must be shared with the coordinating agency as well, which is named by the state government.
- All the requisite information related to the EPR action plan presented by all the operational PIBO in a particular state would have to be displayed on the concerned SPCB’s website as per the set format.
Recent Amendments in Plastic Waste Management Rules
- At Present, The Ministry of Environment, Forests, and climate change have notified the Plastic waste management rules, 2021, in draft rules. These amendments are set to transform the landscape concerning the handling of plastic waste.
- Firstly, this amendment sought to enhance the scope of applicability of the PWM rules. These amended rules would include the brand owners and the recyclers.
- Secondly, the amendment also seeks to include more definitions about the following:
- Most importantly, the rules seek to evolve a new way of defining the Non-woven plastic bag.
- Definitions related to plastic waste processing.
- Single-use plastics would likely be seen as having a separate definition for them.
- Thermoset plastic and its new definition.
- Further, the Union ministry has notified that it has increased the thickness of the bags made up of fresh Plastic. The increase in thickness as arranged under such amendment would witness the consistency of up to 120 microns, a good rise from the lower viscosity of 50 microns.
- These draft rules concerning plastic waste management also entail a ban on single-use Plastic related to production and selling.
- Also, the amendment includes the plastic sticks used in the balloons, thermocol, and other products like the candy sticks. The rules drafted by the authority would be made available, inviting suggestions from the public for sixty days, which the central government would consider. Subsequently, after seeking the recommendations, these rules would get published in the Official Gazette.
The Amended rules are called Plastic waste management (Amendment) Rules 2021.
How do PWM rules help PIBOs in PWM Registrations?
The Plastic Waste Management (PWM) Rules, arranged to bring down the negative impact on the environment related to plastic waste. Plastic is a wonder material in the present scenario, and it is impossible to ban plastics completely. Under the Plastic Waste Management Rules, authorities provide separate collection, storage, and processing of plastic waste in their areas.
Also, it helps monitor and facilitate the use of more than 50-micron plastic carry bags. PWM Rules has assisted in setting responsibilities of producer and generator of plastic waste to recollect waste related to their target market. These rules create awareness in the societies to minimize the use of Plastic.
Cancellation of PWM Registration
The authorities can cancel PWM registration in case of false documents have been furnished by the PIBOs. CPC Bwill issue a notice in the case of violation of provisions has been found. However, PIBO shall be given an opportunity of being heard within 15 days from the date of issuance of such notice. Once the PIBO presents its proof, only any decision would be taken relating to the registration suspension. All the PIBOs, recyclers, and the relevant authorities that work to regulate must prioritize reducing the use of plastic products.
Conclusively, it can be said that the plastic material, without a doubt, is a phenomenal invention and has created its place. Plastic is used in almost every sector. But the major issue revolving around Plastic is related to its management. There is a requirement of proper administration and guidelines that manufacturers, recyclers, and consumers of Plastic should follow. Plastic Waste Management Registration helps the producers to achieve these goals. Once the goals are achieved, it would not inconvenience in managing the Plastic effectively.
Read our article:How Does Plastic Recycling Plant help in Waste Management?