Boric Acid is a monobasic Lewis acid and the chemical formula of Boric Acid is H3BO3. Boric Acid is called acidum boricum, boracic Acid, hydrogen borate, and orthoboric Acid. It is a weak acid with antifungal, antiviral, and antiseptic properties. Boric Acid is soluble in water and doesn’t have any odour. Under these standard conditions, this compound exists either as a colourless crystal or in a white powdery form. Boric Acid can be prepared by reacting borax with hydrochloric Acid. Wilhelm Homberg was the first man to prepare Boric Acid from borax. Boric Acid is covered under IS 10116: 2015. This standard specifies the requirements as well as sampling & testing process for boric Acid used in the production of electronics, capacitors, nuclear energy, fireproofing of workers’ apparel, foundries, ceramics & glass, refractories, explosives, paints, dye intermediates, chemicals, leather, electroplating, adhesives, and enamel. These covers specification requirements for all uses, except cosmetics. BIS Certification is required to sell products in the Indian consumer market. To obtain BIS ISI Certification, the manufacturer must ensure that their product meets the specified Indian Standard. In this write-up, we will discuss BIS ISI Certification for Boric Acid.
Properties of Boric Acid
Following are the properties of Boric Acid:
|Molecular Weight or Molar Mass||61.83 g∙mol¹|
|Melting Point||170.9 °C|
|Boiling Point||300 °C|
BIS ISI Certification for Boric Acid: Uses of Boric Acid
Following are the Uses of Boric Acid:
- It is used in the production of textile fibreglass.
- It is used to neutralise the active hydrofluoric Acid.
- Blacksmiths use it as welding flux.
- It is used in electroplating.
- It is used as an Insecticidal.
- It is used in the production of silly putty.
- It is used in the jewellery industry.
- Used in the making of talcum powder (also very poisonous).
- It is used as an antibacterial & antiseptic.
- It is used as neutron poison in nuclear plants.
- It is used to preserve grains such as wheat and rice.
BIS ISI Certification for Boric Acid: What is ISI under BIS?
Manufacturers of goods subject to the mandatory BIS certification (Scheme-I) must register using the standard process. However, the list of products that fall under simplified registration also includes some that need mandatory certification. When products that require BIS certification are specified as being eligible for streamlined registration, their producers should register such products using the simplified process rather than the standard one. According to the standard BIS certification process, the maker of the product required to have BIS certification must submit the BIS registration application to the designated officer of the government entity where the manufacturing unit is located. The product maker must submit Form V under Scheme-I (BIS registration application) with all necessary supporting documentation and costs. When the BIS Certification application is received, the BIS officials will perform a preliminary factory evaluation. The BIS officials will gather product samples, evaluate them, and generate an unbiased testing report. The BIS Certification/License is given if the products meet the verified quality standards. According to this process, the BIS licence is issued 4-6 months after submitting the registration application.
Documents Required for Getting BIS ISI Certification for Boric Acid
Following are some vital documents required for getting BIS ISI Certification for Boric Acid:
- Address proof of the manufacturing unit;
- A certified copy of the test report by a BSI-certified lab;
- Copy of Certificate of Registration;
- Copy of Trademark Registration Certificate;
- Details of equipment used for testing;
- Certificate copy from the Regulatory Authority;
- Packaging details such as product size, quantity, storage facility, etc.;
- Layout plan of the factory;
- Flow chart of the manufacturing process;
- A copy of the bank statement of the company;
- Indian residency proof;
- Latest utility bills such as electricity bills, gas bills, water tax receipts, etc.;
- Particulars regarding the raw material being used;
- Product or component drawing.
Procedure for Obtaining BIS ISI Certification for Boric Acid in India
The steps to be followed for BIS ISI Certification for Boric Acid are as follows:
Step 1: Select Product Code: This is the first step to selecting the product quality that complies with all the guidelines set through the BIS. The applicant needs to identify and choose a BIS ISI standard product code for their product.
Step 2: File Application: Once the applicant selects the product code, we will help the applicant in applying for BIS ISI Certification for Boric Acid. Further, the applicant must pay registration fees and audit for further inspection.
Step 3: BIS Audit of the Factory Premise: Once we file the Application form, the BIS Officer and BIS authorised inspection team will visit the factory premise of the applicant and examine the quality control and manufacturing process. The officer will collect some products samples and send them for testing in a BIS-approved laboratory.
Step 4: Submit Sample Report: It is important to submit the sample test report of the product from the BIS-approved labs and submit it to BIS.
Step 5: Grant of BIS ISI Certificate: Once the application, testing, and inspection process are completed, the BIS grant a BIS ISI Certification for Boric Acid. Generally, the process of obtaining BIS ISI Certification takes 30 days from the date of the Application form.
Note: BIS ISI Certificate is valid for only two years, and it can be further renewed by filing a renewal application form and paying the prescribed renewal fees. A Practising CA (Chartered Accountant) must examine the renewal application form.
Packing and Marking Process for Obtaining BIS ISI Certification for Boric Acid
Packing and Marking shall be done under IS 10116:2015. Each container needs to bear the details as specified in the Indian standard. The BIS ISI mark must be applied to every container, provided that the product so marked meets each of the specifications. The manufacturer needs to obtain a BIS license from the BIS to use an ISI Mark. The BIS grant a license based on a successful evaluation of the manufacturing infrastructure, testing capabilities, quality control, and manufacturing process.
Reasons for the Rejection of the BIS ISI Application
There are some conditions which, if not complied with, then BIS reject the BIS ISI application and some reasons the BIS are as follows:
- If the product samples are not submitted for testing after submitting the BIS ISI application;
- The applicant or firm is indulging in unethical practice;
- In case there are sufficient technical personnel with the manufacturers;
- If the firm has not submitted incomplete documents or correct documents;
- If there is a failure on the manufacturer’s part to assist in visiting official at the time of the factory premises visit;
- In case there is not sufficient technical personnel with the manufacturers;
- In case there is a vast deviation in the manufacturing facility through the declared (BIS official) facility;
- In case there are lack of facilities for product testing by the manufacturer;
- The product samples drawn for testing fail the test;
- If there is non-conformity in factory testing of product sample during 2nd time.
Note: Before rejecting the BIS ISI Certification application, the BIS will give the applicant 21 days of the notice period, and in this period, an applicant needs to hear in person or through an authorised representative. If the reasons provided by the applicant are unsatisfactory, then the BIS will reject the BIS ISI Application.
Last but not least, if a manufacturer or importer of a product falls under the purview of the BIS Conformity Assessment Scheme, they are required to obtain BIS ISI Certification (BIS marking). As per Regulation 11 of the 2018 BIS (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, the Bureau may cancel the license if the requirements of the license are broken.
Read our Article:How to Obtain BIS ISI Certification for Thermostat Metal Sheet and Strip in India?