Storage battery is also known as a secondary battery used in photovoltaic energy systems. The primary function of a storage battery is to contribute to the electricity supply even when the sun is not shining. Systems that can capture electricity, convert it into another form of energy (chemical, thermal, or mechanical), store it, and then release it when necessary are referred to as “storage” systems. The nicest thing about solar and storage is that they offer backup power during an electrical outage. In a nutshell, the solar panel turns solar energy from the sun into electricity. A solar storage battery is a device that receives power from an attached solar power source, such as a photovoltaic system. Under a mandatory registration programme, storage battery manufacturers must be registered with BIS. According to the Government of India, a manufacturer cannot produce, store items for sale, import, or distribute products that do not meet Indian Standard IS 16270:2014. In this write-up, we will discuss BIS Certification for Storage Battery.
What is the BIS CRS?
Bureau of Indian Standards Compulsory Registration Scheme is known as BIS CRS. The Electronics & Information Technology Products Order 2012 was announced by the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY). According to the notification, the group of electronic products should fall within the CRS. Therefore, without the appropriate BIS CRS Certification, the manufacturer cannot sell the products indicated in the notification. Only 15 product categories of electronic equipment were included in the 2012 BIS CRS Certification notification published by MeitY. Through MeitY, an additional 15 product categories were added in 2014. In 2016, smartphones had to support Indian languages, and 13 new product categories were added. In 2017, five new product categories were added as part of the solar panels, systems, devices, and components goods (Requirements for Compulsory Registration) order 2017. This was done to support new and renewable energy. No manufacturer shall be permitted to import, sell, or distribute electronic devices that do not meet Indian standards, said the BIS CRS Certification Scheme directive. Every electronic product must bear the CRS mark and have a unique registration number.
Essential Requisites to Obtain BIS Certification for Storage Battery
The four requisites that every certificate applicant must adhere to before applying for Indian BIS Certification for Storage Battery include the following:
- Product: If a manufacturer manufactures more than one product, then two separate BIS certifications must be obtained for each product. For example, manufacturers manufacturing smartphones and chargers must file two separate certification applications with BIS.
- Manufacturer: The BIS Certification is only issued to the product manufacturer. The importers, retailers or traders are not eligible for the BIS certificate. However, they can act as an Authorised Representative of a manufacturer in India if the manufacturer does not have their liaisoning office in India. However, the license is issued in the name of the manufacturer only.
- Trademark or Brand: A manufacturer manufacturing the same product for more than one brand has to apply for a separate license with BIS. For example, if the manufacturer manufactures speakers for brands A & B, they must apply for two separate BIS Licenses with the department.
- Manufacturing Address: The application and supporting documents shall mention a proper manufacturing address. If a manufacturer has more than one manufacturing premises for a product, then separate BIS Certification is required for each manufacturing premises.
Documents Required for BIS Certification for Storage Battery
Following are some vital documents required to obtain BIS Certification for storage battery:
- Filled out CCL/CDF form;
- ISO Certificate of the manufacturing;
- Business License of manufacturing premises;
- Letter of Authorisation (if the signatory person is different from the owner of the manufacturing premises);
- Photo ID of Authorized Signatory or Authorized Indian Representative;
- Letter of Trademark Authorization (in case the Trademark is owned by an entity other than the manufacturer);
- Business License or Certificate of Incorporation;
- Duly filled BIS Application form;
- Trademark Certificate;
- Marking Label or Information of marking on the product;
- Technical Specification sheet of user/product manual.
- Authorised Indian Representative (AIR) Company registration proof in India (in case of a foreign manufacturer);
Procedure to Obtain BIS Certification for Storage Battery
The process of obtaining BIS Certification for Storage Battery varies based on the location of the manufacturing premises. Further, the BIS Certification procedure for Indian (Domestic) differs from that for a foreign manufacturer. The main steps involved in obtaining BIS Certification for storage battery include:
BIS Certification Procedure for Domestic Manufacturer
Step 1: Submit the online application form.
Step 2: Get the product sample testing done from BIS authorised laboratory.
Step 3: Submit an offline or online hard copy of the application form and the test report.
Step 4: BIS officials verify the Application form and all required documents.
Step 5: Grant of BIS Certification
BIS Certification Procedure for Foreign Manufacturer
Step 1: Nominate Authorised Indian Representative (AIR) who can represent a foreign manufacturer.
Step 2: Submit the online application form and all required documents.
Step 3: Get the product sample tested from a BIS-authorised laboratory.
Step 4: Submit the offline or online hardcopy of the application, including the product sample test report.
Step 5: BIS Officials verify the application form and all vital documents.
Step 6: Grant of BIS Certification
The market dominance of the storage battery is beyond monumental the rate at which these batteries flood the market is causing regulation issues for the government. BIS has taken this subject matter quite seriously and consequently underpinned several provisions & guidelines to ensure the availability of safer batteries in the Indian market.
Read our Article:How to Obtain BIS Certification for LED Flood Lights in India?