The Post Office Department mainly uses mail processing machines. Earlier, mails were handled manually in the Post Office Department, using outdated techniques that were expensive, and ineffective techniques. Taking this into consideration, a mail processing machine was introduced to improve the speed and accuracy of the post office department. All types of mail processing equipment, postage equipment, and franking equipment are covered by BIS. A franking machine also referred to as a “postage metre,” is a tool that prints a barcode rather than a traditional stamp on a mail or package. A franking machine allows users to select mail classes and premium services and download and safely store postage dollars. Before being purchased, exported, or imported into India, these machines must receive BIS Registration Certificate. The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) mandated that mail processing machines must be registered with BIS under the Compulsory Registration Scheme per IS 13252 (Part 1):2010 on May 13, 2015. Scroll down to check BIS Certification for Mail Processing Machines.
Necessary Requisites to Obtain BIS Certification for Mail Processing Machines
The four essential requisites that all applicants must adhere to before applying for Indian BIS Certification for Mail Processing Machines are as follows:
- Trademark/Brand: A manufacturer manufacturing the same product for more brands has to apply for an individual license with BIS. For example, if the manufacturer manufactures mail processing machines for brands A & B, they must apply for two separate BIS certifications with the department.
- Manufacturers: The BIS Certification is only granted to the product manufacturers. The importers, traders or retailers are not eligible for the BIS License Certificate. However, they can act as an Authorised Indian Representative of a manufacturer in India if the manufacturer doesn’t have an office in India. However, the license is issued in the name of the manufacturer only.
- Address of manufacturing premises: The application and required documents shall mention a proper manufacturing premises address. If a manufacturer has more than one manufacturing premises for a product, then individual BIS Certification is required for each manufacturing premises.
- Product: If a manufacturer manufactures more than one product, then two individual BIS certifications must be obtained for each product
Documents Required for BIS Certification for Mail Processing Machines
Following are some vital documents required for obtaining BIS Certification for Mail Processing Machines:
- Duly filled BIS Application form;
- Business License of manufacturing premises;
- Photo ID of Authorized Signatory or Authorized Indian Representative;
- Filled out CDF/CCL form;
- Authorisation Letter (if the signatory person id is other than the owner of the manufacturing unit);
- ISO Certificate of the manufacturing;
- Trademark Certificate (if any);
- Trademark Authorization letter (if the Trademark is owned by an entity other than the manufacturer);
- Certification of Incorporation or Business License;
- AIR (Authorised Indian Representative) Company registration proof in India (if a foreign manufacturer);
- Marking Label/Information of marking on the product;
- Technical Specification of product manual or user manual.
Procedure to Obtain BIS Certification for Mail Processing Machines
The process of obtaining BIS Certification for Mail Processing Machines varies based on the geographical location of the manufacturing premises. Further, the BIS Certification process for Indian (Domestics) manufacturers varies from that for foreign manufacturers. The main steps involved in getting BIS for mail processing machines include:
Procedure for Domestic Manufacturer
Step 1: Submit the online application form on the online BIS portal.
Step 2: Get the product testing done from BIS approved laboratory.
Step 3: Submit an offline/online hardcopy of the application form and the product test report.
Step 4: BIS authorised officers verify the Application form and all required vital documents.
Step 5: Grant of BIS Certification
BIS Certification Procedure for Foreign Manufacturer
Step 1: Nominate Authorised Indian Representative (AIR) who can represent a foreign manufacturer in India.
Step 2: Submit the online application form and all required documents on BIS Portal.
Step 3: Get the product tested from a BIS-approved laboratory.
Step 4: Submit the offline/online hardcopy of the application, including the product test report.
Step 5: BIS-authorised officers verify the application form and all required vital documents.
Step 6: Grant of BIS Certification
Other Points Related to BIS Certification for Mail Processing Machines
- Hire a BIS-authorised testing organisation & an experienced compliance partner to get complete guidance regarding the procedure for BIS certification for mail processing machines.
- Before shipment of product samples, make sure that complete arrangements have been made for all shipments from the manufacturing unit location to the BIS testing laboratory’s door.
- Ensure that the laboratory testing the product has a valid licence and is not suspended. Further, the laboratory must not be in the middle or about to get audited.
- The product information in the Construction Data Form (CDF) and the details of the product components in the Critical Component List (CCL) must be filled in briefly & accurately.
- The manufacturer, brand owner & Indian Representative must have signed all vital documents. In addition, vital documents must be stamped & notarised by the brand owner and Authorised Indian Representative.
- A product sample Test report is valid for three months, and before its expiry, the test report must be submitted to BIS. If the applicant cannot submit the product test report to BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards), then the applicant will have to submit the new product samples again for testing.
- After submitting essential documents, including the product samples test report, the BIS typically takes about 15 days to issue the BIS Certification. Sometimes, it may take 1 to 2 months, which is a more realistic period to expect.
- All vital documents need to be ready before the testing of the product.
All Mail Processing Machine has been included in the compulsory BIS CRS Certification Scheme under IS Standard- IS 13252 (Part 1). Without BIS Certification, this product cannot be imported or exported to the market.
Read our Article:How to Obtain BIS Certification for Electronic Video Games in India?