FSSAI, the food regulatory body has envisioned many guidelines for milk products. On the global level, India has earned the repute of being the number one milk-producing nation. As per the Niti Aayog report, the production of milk in India would touch the figure of 300 million Tonnes by 2022.
During 2017-18, the per capita milk availability in India was 375 grams per day. However, recent reports suggest that it will increase to 592 grams per day. As the per capita milk availability has witnessed a better prospect, there is an enhancement in the nutritional consumption of children as well as youth.
In order to lend support to the dairy food industry, the government has adopted numerous measures and has taken many initiatives. This industry is suitable for those entrepreneurs who are waiting for the moment to flap their wings and grab the opportunities roaming around them. Furthermore, these entrepreneurs must bring brand-new and innovative ideas on the table. India exports its dairy items to destinations like Nepal, Egypt, Singapore, and so on.
Health Benefits of Milk and Milk Products
- It’s a proven fact that regular intake of milk and other dairy products strengthens the bone. Being an adequate source of protein and calcium, milk, a nutrient-rich fluid, provides various health benefits. The presence of protein in milk empowers the immune system of a person and facilitates growth and development as well.
- By including milk and dairy products to your diet, you may prevent various bone-related diseases. As milk fulfills the nutritional requirements of a human body, it’s a must-have fluid for one and all.
FSSAI Guidelines for Milk Products Packaging
- The FSSAI has declared certain guidelines for milk product packaging to ensure the safety of immunity-boosting fluid, i.e., the milk. The betterment of technology has developed new packaging techniques along with the introduction of new high-quality machines allowing auto packaging of milk and other dairy items. There are different types of machines that have arrived in the Indian market, and these machines are helpful in the preservation of milk for a more extended time period.
- Different types of packaging material used in storing milk products and other dairy items comprise bottles, cans, tetra packs, cartoons, and pouches. The most common and preferred form of packaging is soft pouches.
The reasons are following:-
- When it comes to lending safety to the milk stored within from different range of variations in the temperature and protecting the milk from getting exposed to high-frequency UV rays, the thermoformed plastic bottle is the smart solution.
- FSSAI should ensure that all the procedures and regulations are in congruence with Food Packaging Safety and Standards. The focus should be on the ready-to-sale packet that must comply with the FSSAI Food Packaging Regulations in India. Also, it must be closing the doors for possibilities of changing the package content without tampering the seal.
Read our article:Who needs FSSAI Registration? Is FSSAI Registration Mandatory?
Changes that direct the Guidelines for Milk Products
With the conversion of milk packaging from glass bottles to stunning packs as well as cans, the following changes govern the revised guidelines for milk products-
Essential FSSAI Guidelines for Milk Products concerning Packaging Specifications
- Filling as well as the bottling of milk into containers or bottles must be mechanically done. Besides this, sealing of the container must get appropriately executed.
- The process of sealing must continue immediately after filling and at the same spot where the last heat treatment test has taken place. Sealing of product must get followed through employing a sealing device. Moreover, it must provide a guarantee that milk will remain preserved from any untoward unfavorable outcomes, which may have its association with the external origin.
- As milk belongs to the family of the pure dairy product; therefore, the already used wrapping or packaging must not get reused for different products. However, there is an exception to the condition where the containers or boxes are reusable in nature. There is a necessity to show extra care while using the same container by following thorough disinfecting as well as cleaning.
- There is a compulsory rule regarding milk, and other dairy products are that milk and milk products must get stored in a special room given for storage purposes, hastily after the completion of packaging.
Shelf Life of Milk Products
- FSSAI is not directly responsible for administering the shelf life of milk products, but the food business operators must come forward and provide in-depth information about the shelf life of the products. FSSAI endeavors to look at the safety regulations related to food production. It encompasses milk and dairy products as well.
With an objective to provide assistance to the dairy food industry, FSSAI has created many guidelines for milk products and milk too. Furthermore, studies are suggesting that milk production in India will reach a figure of 300 million tonnes by the year 2022.
What’s more, milk has got the tag of a versatile ingredient as incorporating it into your daily life will be beneficial for your body. It’s mandatory to obtain the FSSAI license for milk and milk products, or you can apply for FSSAI registration depending upon the turnover of your business. Complying with the Food Packaging Regulations in India is vital for one and all.
Read our article:How to Obtain an FSSAI License in India: Full Guide