The term metrology is outlined as the science and process of ensuring that measurement meets specified degrees of both accuracy and precision. In layman’s term, it can be described as the ‘science behind measuring’. The extent of legal metrology varies from country to country. In most countries, legal metrology entails measurements for individual financial, health, and environmental protection. The LMPC is an Indian packaging regulation that governs the packaging of pre-packaged commodities sold or distributed in India. According to Rule 27 of the LMPC Rules of 2011, any importer who brings in pre-packaged goods for distribution or sale must submit an application for LMPC registration. Nonetheless, metrology remains an unfamiliar concept to many people. Only recently did most people in urban India become aware of the laws of Legal Metrology and the LMPC certificate. Many people need clarification as to what the relevance of legal metrology is. Let’s understand this in simple words.
Legal metrology has applications in three major sectors:
- Commercial transactions,
- Measures needed to ensure public health and human safety, and
- Industrial measurements.
An Overview of LMPC
LMPC is an Indian packaging law that regulates the packaging standards of pre-packaged commodities sales or distribution in India. Food, drugs, and other things may have unique criteria in their governing legislation; for example, pharmaceutical products must adhere to additional rules outlined in the Drugs and Cosmetics Act of 1940. Any importer who brings in pre-packaged commodities to distribute or sell must apply for LMPC registration under Rule 27 of the LMPC Rules of 2011.
Under this registration, the importer must notify the government of the pre-packaged products he intends to bring into India. Several names are given to an LMPC registration: ‘Legal Metrology Certificate’, ‘Importer Registration under Legal Metrology’, and since this registration is done under the LMPC Rules, 2011, the customs authority popularly calls it ‘LMPC Certificate’.
What Is The Real Significance Of Legal Metrology In Modern Trade Times?
Some of the critical aspects emphasising the significance of legal metrology in contemporary trade are as follows:
- It promotes trade by eliminating the disputes
- It helps to develop proper management of inventory
- It plays a pivotal role in collecting excise and customs duties, making up most of the government’s revenue.
What Are The Different Types Of LMPC Certificates?
Under the LMPC Rules of 2011, two types of LMPC registrations exist.
- Rule 27 LMPC Importer Registration:
Under this, registration is required if you import Pre-Packed Commodities and sell them in India without any additional Packaging and Labelling activity.
- Rule 27 LMPC Packer & Manufacturer Registration:
This registration is required if you make and pack the items yourself or purchase goods from a third party and pack them under your brand
What Are The Offerings In Support Of LMPC Registration?
Following is the list of registrations that one must collect before going for LMPC registration:
- Prior to starting any type of business involving the selling of weights and other measurement-related commodities, it is crucial to obtain the Department of Legal Metrology’s approval.
- Individuals who want to work in the packaging sector for weighing and measuring items must receive packaged commodity registration in order to comply with Rule 27 of the Packaged Commodities Rules, which was approved in 2011.
- One can only import the merchandise after the model has been given the go-ahead by the Metrology department and the enterprise has received the Import license.
- The product must be marked by the Legal metrology department before the user can use the tools if they have access to weight and measurement equipment for personal uses that include either a transaction or a product
What Are The Important Guidelines Given For LMPC Registration?
Here is the list of guidelines merchants need to follow during the process of LMPC registration. Guidelines are given explicitly for measuring weight under Section 47 of the Standing of Weights and Measures Act of 1976.
- The applicant who seeks to take the LMPC registration has to pay a fee of ‘One hundred rupees, which is payable to, ‘The pay and Accounts officer at the Department of C Consumer Affairs in New Delhi.
- General rules under the LMPC Act provide a long list of objects that may be weighted or measured, and registration will only be provided for such objects.
- If the Controller of Legal Metrology finds that the application is incomplete, then he is bound to return it within seven days of receiving it.
- If the Controller of Legal Metrology finds the application is completed in every way, then the controller is bound to provide the certificate within ten days of receiving it
LMPC Certificate Exemptions
India. However, there are some exceptions to this rule, which are as follows:
- Commodities with a net weight or measure of 10 grammes or 10 millilitres or less.
- Agricultural produce packages of more than 50 kg in quantity.
- Packages comprise fast food products packaged by a restaurant or hotel.
- Packages that contain formulation mentioned by the Drugs (Price Control) Order, 1995.
What Documents Are Required To Be Submitted During The Process Of Registration?
The following documents are required for the LMPC registration:
- Pan card of the firm
- Documents supporting the applicant’s or their partner’s date of birth
- Pan card and AADHAR of the applicant
- Certificate of incorporation
- Photographs, proof of identity, and address verification of the applicant and any of the partner
- The model approval certificate that was granted by the Director of Legal Metrology
- If the applicant company is in partnership, then partnership deed is required
- No objection form (NOC) from the Pollution Control Board. (Note: NOC is a must for the companies in the Taj Trapezium Zone.)
- A copy of GST/VAT/CST registration
- A deceleration affirming that the applicant will abide by all the legal requirements
- An affidavit affirming that the applicant has not between convicted by any court of law
- Finally, a dully filled application form with demand draft of the application fee
What Are The Latest Amendments Made Under Legal Metrology Package Commodity Rules Of 2011?
The Legal Metrology Package Commodity Rules, 2011, were amended by the Government on November 2, 2021, and they took effect on April 1, 2022, prospectively. The Government has added provisions to the Law to promote transparency for the product customer under the previous revisions. Due to these revisions, the industry has changed the labelling and packaging of its products.
The LMPC is the fundamental piece of legislation governing Legal Metrology. Legislation governing legal metrology defines standards for weighing, measuring, and measuring devices. It protects consumers, the environment, and traders, focusing on fair trade in India. It makes an effort to instil trust in customers, the government, business owners, and merchants. It controls unethical business practices. It is a must for an organisation to obtain an LMPC certificate. If you don’t have an LMPC certificate or if you don’t follow the declaration rules, then your imported goods may get seized by customs.
Read Our Article: How to Secure LMPC Certificate to Import Pre-packaged Goods in India?