The BIS or Bureau of Indian Standards, was established by the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution. It is a national certification body which lays down specific standards for products to be deployed in India and has mechanisms to regulate and assess such standards to ensure optimum levels of quality and safety of these products. Under the BIS certification system, manufacturers or importers of products of certain products only require obtaining voluntary registration. For other products, the government has mandated that there are certain products which require to adhere to the standards set out by BIS. Once a BIS certificate is affixed to a product, it signifies that it meets specific standards of safety, credibility, and quality. The Standard mark (ISI) is affixed on products which have been granted the BIS ISI certification by the Bureau. Scroll down to check BIS ISI Certification for Multipurpose Dry Batteries.
The standard mark on products has many benefits and some of them are mentioned below:
- It signifies high standards of safety and quality as such products undergo rigorous testing to assess whether they adhere to the standards laid down by BIS.
- It also signifies that the products cause minimal damage to the environment since BIS prohibits the use of specific pollutants in the products.
- Since the mark is granted by a national certification body, products which have such a mark affixed to it have certain authenticity and credibility attached to it.
- The standard mark can also be used as a marketing tool as it helps in promoting the brand name and goodwill of the manufacturer’s company by bringing in more customers and instilling confidence in the brand.
IS 8144:2018 Standard for Multipurpose Dry Batteries
Multipurpose dry batteries are cells used in portable gadgets because the orientation of dry batteries is such that they can work without spilling, unlike wet cells. Dry batteries contain a paste electrolyte with minimal moisture permitting the current to flow. The BIS standard applicable to multipurpose dry batteries is IS 8144:2018. This particular standard covers zinc batteries used for various purposes. The multipurpose dry batteries are categorized into High Power or Standard categories and R03, R14, R16, R20 classifications as per the designations. R6 dry batteries are used in hearing aids and flashlights, while R14 and R20 are used in tape recorders and radio receivers. The standard consists of many specifications as to the dimensions, tests, and other requirements for dry batteries to obtain a BIS ISI certificate. The materials used for constructing the battery, the construction itself, the dimensions and the performance of the battery must conform to the IS standard.
Given the many benefits of obtaining BIS ISI Certification for Multipurpose Dry Batteries, it is advisable that manufacturers and importers of multipurpose dry batteries looking to operate their products in India get the BIS certificate to make one’s product stand out in the market.
Necessary Tests to Obtain a BIS ISI Certification for Multipurpose Dry Batteries
There are certain tests which are required by BIS norms to be conducted on the products to assess whether they conform to the requisite Indian standards applicable to them. The tests to be conducted on multipurpose dry batteries are as follows:
- Leakage test
- Delayed life test
- Initial life test
- Testing the dimensions of the battery
- Testing the terminals of the battery
Necessary Documents to Obtain BIS ISI Certification for Multipurpose Dry Batteries
Mentioned below are the necessary documents required to obtain BIS ISI certification for multipurpose dry batteries:
- Details of the applicant, along with address proof and identity proof
- Name and address of the factory premises and the registered office
- Documents showing proof of establishment of the manufacturing unit
- SSI or MSME certificate
- The whole manufacturing process flow covers all the processes from the raw material processing to the stage of the finished product
- Comprehensive list of manufacturing machinery information
- If the manufacturing is being outsourced, information pertaining to such outsourcing
- A detailed list of testing facilities along with the equipment for such testing and requisite certificates for such equipment.
- Test report from a laboratory as per the applicable ISI standards.
- A map and layout plan of the manufacturing premises and the factory
- Any other independent or internal test report, if any
- An authorization letter by the CEO in case the application is signed by an authorized signatory
- Requisite information on the nomination of the AIR or All-India Representative if the manufacturer is a foreigner or foreign entity. The AIR must all submit an undertaking with the nomination form along with an affidavit.
Steps to Obtain BIS ISI Certification for Multipurpose Dry Batteries
A manufacturer or importer of multipurpose dry batteries looking to obtain BIS ISI Certification for Multipurpose Dry Batteries must follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Nominate an All-India Representative
For Indian manufacturers applying for BIS ISI certificate. The AIR or All India Representative shall be the manufacturer herself. However, if the applicant is a foreign manufacturer who does not have a liaising office in India, she shall appoint a local trader or importer to be the AIR. The AIR can be nominated through a letter of nomination and the format for the letter can be found in Form-IV.
- Make an Account on the BIS portal
The manufacturer is required to visit the official BIS portal and create an official account. This is important as the applicant along with necessary documents, shall be submitted to BIS using this account to obtain a BIS ISI certificate.
- Submit the Product for Testing
The applicant is to submit the product for testing to be assessed according to the IS 8144:2018 standard. These tests must be conducted by a BIS-approved laboratory for which the test request can be made through the Manak online portal. The test report shall be prepared in accordance with the BIS norms and can be downloaded from the Manak portal. It shall be valid for a period of 90 days.
- Duly Fill out the Application on BIS Portal
After the applicant receives the test report, she is next required to file the application form along with all the requisite documents mentioned above. The applicant must also furnish the application fees and other prescribed charges. The applicant must ensure that while filling out the application, the Indian Standard 8144:2018 for multipurpose dry cells is selected.
- Furnish Requisite Information
At this stage, the applicant is required to provide necessary information pertaining to the machinery and raw material used and the manufacturing process.
- Review of application and Inspection of Manufacturing Site
After BIS receives the application and the requisite documents, officials from the BIS team shall scrutinize the application and document and assess the credibility of the test report. If the officials have any query pertaining to the application, the applicant is provided with an opportunity to provide clarity or rectify any defect in the application.
Once the application and documents have been scrutinized by the BIS officials, an inspecting officer is sent to inspect the manufacturing unit to conduct applicable tests to assess compliance with standards laid down by BIS.
- Onsite Verification
During the onsite inspection, a BIS officer verifies the hard copy of the necessary documents and the test report, and the testing process and the manufacturing procedure are also verified.
- Issuance of Certificate
After the officer conducts the onsite information and verifies the documents and is satisfied with the sufficiency of it, BIS shall grant the BIS ISI certificate to the product and the applicant is now permitted to affix the standard mark on the product.
It can take 35-45 days to complete the process of obtaining a BIS ISI certification for multipurpose dry batteries, including testing, review of the application, test reports, requisite documents by BIS and the issuance of the certificate.
Validity of BIS ISI Certification for Multipurpose Dry Batteries
The validity of a BIS ISI Certification for Multipurpose Dry Batteries is for a period of two years and can be renewed by paying the prescribed renewal fee if the product specifications remain the same. The renewed BIS ISI certificate is valid for one to five years and the applicant is required to pay the requisite. The applicant is required to pay the applicable surveillance fee, licensing fee and late fees if the application for renewal is made after the expiry of the validity period of the previous application.
Manufacturers and importers of multipurpose dry batteries looking to operate their products in India must surely opt for the BIS ISI certification for their products, as the standard mark comes with many benefits. It provides credibility to the product and attracts customers as the mark signifies exacting standards of quality and safety. Given the many benefits, it is prudent for manufacturers or importers of multipurpose dry batteries to be aware of the processes involved, the documents and other details required in obtaining a BIS ISI certificate.
Read Our Article: BIS ISI Certification for Ordinary Portland Cement